Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2013-07-02, 05:12 AM   #16
Moron
Unicyclist

For flying tool-free

I've been looking into flying with my uni, but don't want to check it and TSA gets cranky about carrying on tools. QR pedals would address this. All I need now is a decent bag option.
Moron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-02, 05:21 AM   #17
kb1jki
Unicycles on my mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni tasmania View Post
They probably have their place as dropper posts do for some but time I think lost even changing 3 second pedals after dismounting re mounting, getting feet right then getting back to cadence, I would have cranked on past be how far ahead maybe gone up or down a schlumpf ratio maintained momentum and you would not be catching up anytime before the next rest point.

I dont fancy swapping out pedals all the time even if it takes 3 or what ever claimed seconds

If anyone shares my opinion thanks. If not I wish you success and good times with QA
funny you should mention dropper posts dude, I still have a couple Hite-Rites, and maybe an IRD remote from back in the day! The dropper posts and certainly schlumpf exceeds the cost of the rigs I'd put them on! I am not thinking of the short term of maintaining, but being able to sustain the return trip! sometimes I wear myself out and pacing myself, taking short brakes, and changing cadence is my style, cuz if we're racing -you win!
Old 2013-07-02, 05:31 AM   #18
kb1jki
Unicycles on my mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moron View Post
I've been looking into flying with my uni, but don't want to check it and TSA gets cranky about carrying on tools. QR pedals would address this. All I need now is a decent bag option.
The general application for QR pedals is for packing and folding bikes. Regarding the TSA, I believe it is only a matter of time before we take up arms in revolt against them, ICE, DHS, IRS, NSA, CIA and their masters for suspending Habius Corpus, Ex post facto, dismissing the second and fourth amendments, staging false flag attacks here and abroad, operating outside their mandates, and war mongering as an excuse for martial law where the current or future administrations now have the authority through executive order to control food and water supplies, construction supplies, power grids, and use all their shiny new hollow point rounds by the millions and tanks acquired for domestic use.

Sorry, the emotional disposition of government employees that swear no oath to uphold the constitution and search/seize without probable cause in direct contradiction to the basis for all law of this land just strikes a nerve dude.

Oh, best case IMHO: http://tricosports.com/iron_case.html

Last edited by kb1jki; 2013-07-02 at 05:41 AM.
kb1jki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-02, 12:25 PM   #19
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

The QR pedal system is a good idea, we've discussed it before. I was tempted to spring for the parts, but they are direct order from Taiwan on Ebay, so any problems with durability are my problems. I also couldn't find a source for receivers, so I'd have to buy two sets of pedals for each uni, $$$$$$!

White Bros has a QR crank insert system where the QR is built into the crank and allows the use of any pedal, but it's not ISIS and it only has one hole. The White Bros system would be awesome! http://www.whiteind.com/quick-release-pedal-cranks.html

I would be far more likely to swap pedals if I had QR, as it is I don't switch pedals often due to the hassle and risks of wearing out threads, esp on non insert Spirits.
Old 2013-07-02, 12:47 PM   #20
knoxuni
wes style!!

Send a message via Skype™ to knoxuni
It's sad but my spirits have only one hole seen use
Old 2013-07-02, 12:50 PM   #21
davidp
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
I would be far more likely to swap pedals if I had QR, as it is I don't switch pedals often due to the hassle and risks of wearing out threads, esp on non insert Spirits.
+1. I have dual hole spirits on a few unis. Only once have I bothered changing crank position during a ride (short to ride to the trails, longer on the trails). Usually I'll "suffer" the longer position on the ride to the trails. With QR pedals I could see myself doing this regularly.
davidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 04:58 PM   #22
danger_uni
Kris Holm

I got a couple of samples of Wellgo Quick Release pedals in the mail last week, with pedal body no. QRD-5219. Unlike most of the other QR hub bodies I've seen, this one seems pretty good.

I wanted to check if it was possible to install two quick-release mechanism at the same time, in a Spirit double hole crank, without any modifications. Unfortunately I received one right and one left pedal only, so could not install both on one crank to physically check. The below is based on measurements.

As many of you know there are two QR mechanism types that screw into the crank: one with a button, and one without. See the attached photos. The "button" style requires about 5.5 mm space on the side of the pedal hole when installed, but much more to screw it in. So there is no room between the pedal holes to screw two QR mechanisms of this type in at the same time.

The "circle style" requires about 8.75 mm space on the side of the pedal hole. It has no button but due to the thicker body you cannot screw two in at the same time.

If you combine both styles, the two require at least 14.25 mm room between the pedal holes. That means that both should fit on the 110/137 and 137/165 Spirit cranks, but not on the others.

So for the 110/137 and 137/165 lengths it likely works; for the others I don't think it will work, unfortunately.

I can't provide an opinion on the strength or durability of the pedals because I haven't tried them. Based on visual inspection, the QR mechanism looks like it will be good for general road or possibly XC Muni use, but not strong enough for drops or aggressive riding. Personally I'd see these as most useful if you frequently take pedals off for storage or transportation.

I'll leave them on my muni for a while to see how they test out.

Attached are closeups of the two styles on a geared KH24.

Kris
Attached Images

danger_uni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 07:01 PM   #23
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1jki View Post
So you'd have to but two pair in order to have both crank holes fitted with the receiving end? Or do they sell those separately?

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 07:51 PM   #24
danger_uni
Kris Holm

Unless UDC started carrying them and splitting the pedals, at the moment I don't know how you'd get around buying two pairs of pedals, as far as I know.
Old 2013-08-17, 08:08 PM   #25
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger_uni View Post
Unless UDC started carrying them and splitting the pedals, at the moment I don't know how you'd get around buying two pairs of pedals, as far as I know.
I can see the convenience of being able to make a quick change, but as you mentioned, they probably wouldn't be ideal for any kind of extreme riding. At present the only uni I make regular crank hole changes on is my KH 29er that I modified to a 700c for road climbing.

I use a thin, lightweight 15mm bike "cone" wrench and it takes only a minute or so to switch both sides. But I'm usually in no hurry since I only make the change after climbing several miles, so after a short break I switch to the shorter holes for the ride back down.

Name:  $T2eC16ZHJIkE9qU3k63wBRwMD(bCvQ~~60_12.JPG
Views: 410
Size:  16.2 KB

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2013-08-17 at 08:09 PM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-22, 10:36 PM   #26
danger_uni
Kris Holm

Attached are a couple of photos courtesy of UDC Australia, showing MKS quick release pedal inserts in a pair of 127/150 Spirit Cranks.
Note that the pedal body in the photo won't work as they will hit the other insert, but MKS seems to have other options that might:
http://www.mkspedal.com/English/catalog.htm
Attached Images

Old 2013-08-23, 12:40 AM   #27
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Hey Kris, I've seen pics where someone was able to use side by side inserts, but they had to cut back the cage to clear the second insert.

The biggest problem I see is that the pedal is set out further from the crank, so it'll increase the stance by a 30-40mm.

Did you take a look at the White Brothers QR crank??

That'd be a cool option for Spirits or a neat remodel for Moments.

Personally, I don't swap cranks more than once in a blue moon, though most of my unis have two holes.

I'd be more likely to use a second hole if they were closer together in length, so 125/137, 137/150, 150/165. Yeah, I realize it's not physically possible for two holes to be that close "the way the cranks are designed now", but it could be done if the design were diffent...

I'm mostly satisfied with one crank length, 150's seem to be good for all my big wheel application, 137 or 125 for small wheels.

We wouldn't have to worry about silly things like crank length if we had more gears...
Old 2013-08-23, 02:50 AM   #28
danger_uni
Kris Holm

I see QR pedals as potentially useful for riders who use public transportation a lot and have rules & restrictions (or practical limitations) on getting onto crowded trains buses & subways. I also see them as useful for riders who regularly pack many of unicycles into their vehicle on the way to, say, a club ride.

As far as double hole cranks go, I think they are really helpful for riders who have only one, single speed muni (e.g. almost everyone except many on this forum) and use it around town during the week and offroad on the weekends. Even if you don't use the second hole it's a good way to slightly lighten the cranks as long as it's carefully considered in the cranks design. I don't think many riders change crank length halfway through a ride, but it is helpful if you commute by road to a trailhead, and then home again after the ride.

As far as crank lengths go, I could change the 110/137 to 117/137, potentially.

Kris

Last edited by danger_uni; 2013-08-23 at 02:50 AM.
Old 2017-07-19, 01:02 AM   #29
caseytronic
Unicyclist

I recently tried a setup as discussed above using the MKS Ezy pedals ( Lambda and clipless). I did a detailed write-up here with some pics and discussion of pros/cons.

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...61#post1686161

I linked this thread in my post.

Cheers
caseytronic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
homebrew, pedals, upgrade