Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Videos

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2013-03-25, 12:42 AM   #1
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Smile Fargo Hill Climb Challenge 2013!

It had been two years since entering my first ever Fargo hill climb event, and today I returned, on 3/24/13, in an attempt to successfully climb the massive 32% grade monster hill again. As it turns out, I had/have a fractured rib, sustained as a result of a drop while riding MUni last week. Up until yesterday I wasn’t sure if I would be physically able to even attempt the climb, but the pain was all but gone this morning so I decided to go for it!

I ended up doing THREE climbs, with the first two counting as official. Although I finished the third climb, I momentarily dismounted to avoid a collision with bike. The first two climbs were done earlier before the hill got overly congested with participants. I was told again today that I’m still the first and only person to successfully climb this monster hill on a unicycle in the event's 30+ year history! I’m pretty proud of that.

So this makes 4 official climbs; two for this event and two at the 2011 event. Plus three more training rides made to the top. This video includes *both* climbs and both descents, plus a couple of fun interviews. The guy who filmed the second climb held the camera steadier and is a better depiction of the steepness. Hope you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YYI3x_FxDw

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 07:08 AM   #2
allwobbly
Unicyclist

Nice ride

Nice ridin there Terry. Not only does that take some legs but to not touch down while going so slow makes this two very difficult problems to overcome. Without both power and skill you won't make that hill. I am a little suprised though that you didn't build a new hill climbing rig for the event. Hmm, what would that be? A 36er with 18 inch cranks and a tire chain? Maybe a 12 incher with 6" cranks and a tire that holds 120 psi. I don't know. You can think about it next year.
allwobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 05:31 PM   #3
Harley
Unicyclist

Great work once again Terry.

I'm glad we don't have hills like that around here. They would be a real beggar to deal with in the winter.
Old 2013-03-25, 09:58 PM   #4
jrapp
Unicyclist

Congratulations, MuniAddict!

Very inspirational! I must climb a steep hill as part of a local 50k participation ride next month, so I will probably watch your video numerous times before the event. Of course it's not as steep as Fargo St., but will be a real challenge for me.
jrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 05:45 PM   #5
MuniAddict

Thanks for the comments.

In answer to allwobbly's, post, the uni I used is my standard KH MUni, but with a wheelset I had built specifically for Fargo. Alienation "Deviant" rim, Exceed Ti hub, Kenda 24 x 2.3 tire, nimbus alloy 165mm cranks, and primo magnesium pedals.

For my climb in 2011, I used the same uni but with the standard KH wheelset with the Kenda K-rad 24 x 2.3 tire. Although the wheelset I used this time was considerably lighter, I didn't notice much difference in the effort needed to get up the hill. And I had much more hill training prior to this ride than in 2011.

My legs felt much stronger this time, but the hardest part is being able keep going when you've entered your anaerobic threshold and you're redlining Vo2 max! As a result of a lot of hill training, I've been able to increase my Vo2 max, and stay in the lactate threshold longer.

Website
Videos
Facebook
Old 2013-03-27, 11:42 AM   #6
mad
Unicyclist

What happened with the Ergal hub? I know there were tolerance issues with fitting the cranks and bearings but weren't they going to fix it for you?

Why did you switch to the Kenda 2.3 from the Intense Micro Knobby you had on the first incarnation of the 24" hill climbing wheel?

Thanks,
Martin
mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 03:11 PM   #7
MuniAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad View Post
What happened with the Ergal hub? I know there were tolerance issues with fitting the cranks and bearings but weren't they going to fix it for you?

Why did you switch to the Kenda 2.3 from the Intense Micro Knobby you had on the first incarnation of the 24" hill climbing wheel?

Thanks,
Martin
Hi Martin. The M41 hub issue could not be resolved and the owner thought it best that I return it to UDC. Josh then recommended the Ti hub and it worked out great. It's very light but also stronger than aluminum and it fit perfectly. I decided to stay with the kenda k-rad since it worked so well on the first climb back in 2011. It's wider than the micro knobby which gave me more stability without adding noticeable RR.

Website
Videos
Facebook
Old 2013-03-27, 03:17 PM   #8
MuniAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad View Post

Thanks,
Martin
Hi Martin. The M41 hub issue could not be resolved and the owner thought it best that I return it to UDC. Josh then recommended the Ti hub and it worked out great. It's very light but also stronger than aluminum and it fit perfectly. I decided to stay with the kenda k-rad since it worked so well on the first climb back in 2011. It's wider than the micro knobby which gave me more stability without adding noticeable RR.

I was also very happy to get my maggie rim brake to work so well on the deviant rim! I was told it's not really compatible with a rim brake, but after removing the decals from the sidewalls and slightly sanding, cleaning it well with rubbing alcohol, and doing the same to the pads, the braking (going back down Fargo) was smooth as silk and powerful without the slightest sound!

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2013-03-27 at 03:24 PM.
Old 2013-03-30, 03:34 AM   #9
unibabyguy
In Gazz We Trust

The two guys filming you were breathing harder than you were!
unibabyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 02:21 PM   #10
Milodar
Unicyclist

Terry, I assume that you on 24" uni is the best machine for climbing - that´s why you using it. Have you tried any other uni to climb Fargo, (26" or 29" with longer cranks) ?
Milodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 02:50 AM   #11
MuniAddict

unibabyguy said: The two guys filming you were breathing harder than you were!

So was I, but the camera was further away from me.

Milodar said: Terry, I assume that you on 24" uni is the best machine for climbing - that´s why you using it. Have you tried any other uni to climb Fargo, (26" or 29" with longer cranks) ?

Yes, I did a lot of experimenting with different wheel sizes and cranks, and found that the 24 was the perfect compromise.

Here's a new video from today, 4/9/13. Someone had told me about a super steep hill in Laguna beach, and it's a whopping 30% grade! Driving over the crest feels like you're going over a cliff since you can't see it drop off below your hood!

My goal was to try to ride it straight up...in traffic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOOO771487w

Website
Videos
Facebook
Old 2013-04-10, 06:45 PM   #12
Harley
Unicyclist

"My goal was to try to ride it straight up...in traffic!"

And it appears that you had success. Congrats again.
Old 2013-04-10, 11:20 PM   #13
Lloyd Braun
Aide to the Mayor

"We're not worthy" was my favorite part. Impressed as always.
Lloyd Braun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, challenge, climb, fargo, hill