Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-01-17, 04:55 AM   #1
Resv
Unicyclist

Is it worth getting an expensive trial street?

So for my 26 muni I balled out.. Then ordered more parts on top of that. I knew that i was going to keep my 26 for a long time so it was going to be purchased eventually.. as much as i love my uni, i do not want my wallet to go through that again.

I really like the equinox but is it really worth spending almost $400 dollars on it Or any other expensive uni?

i know im going to abuse/break/ wear it more than normal since this will be my first 20 and first trick uni. Im assuming it will be like learning all over again. So should i get a noname this time?

Anyone else know what is similar to the equinox but cheaper?

I dont UPD too much on my 26 but i got fast and I am sittin high, so when i do fall it gets nasty. I have to wear full pads and helmet. I was thinking about gettinf a trials or street to learn hopping, reverse, tricks, but mainly to easily carry with me down the block with out wearing any gear. So my questions is, would i need to gear up for the 20 ride?
I mean a 20 should be slower and i feel like its so close to the ground i wouldnt need them.

So many questions... Ty
Resv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-17, 05:38 AM   #2
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

There are a few things that I really like about the 19" Equinox. I really like the idea of a trials wheel matched with a long neck aluminum frame. That combination is by no means unique to the Equinox but it is on the lower side of the price range for getting all those features.

If you end up using it for trials the 19" tire will put you on an equal playing field with dedicated trials unicycles, The aluminum frame won't weigh you down and the long neck allows a large adjustment range for the various seat heights required for the multiple styles of riding possible on the 20" size.

If price is a concern I would seriously consider the 19" Impact Athmos. It would be a bit heavier, the frame isn't as nice and it might not be quite as refined but should get the job done at 2/3 the price.
Old 2016-01-17, 06:30 AM   #3
song
Unicyclist

Any of the $330 Nimbus trials unicycles should be good enough for anything short of championship competition.

Unicyclists have different feelings about safety gear that are determined by their bodyweight, age, athletic ability and weltanschauung. Just to give you a point of reference, as a middle-aged 200-pounder, I have learned to ride one-footed, backwards and seat out, and have hopped up thousands of steps, without ever having felt a need for safety gear.

If I ever get serious about riding down the stairs, though, I might want pads, and I once skinned my knee while trying to hop on to a 30 cm wall, even though I had done it many times before. If I go back to jumping that high or higher, I might get some pads, and I have heard that shin guards can be very helpful for learning unispins.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-17, 11:08 AM   #4
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resv View Post
So my questions is, would i need to gear up for the 20 ride?
I thought not but but one of my most annoying injuries was on my 20 when I rode without protection.

I mostly ride my 26 but took the 20 for a spin with no protection like I had several times before. Maybe I had become so accustomed to the dynamics of the 26 that I misjudged a kerb crossing at low speed on the 20 and went straight down without warning. Maybe the bigger wheel and larger tyre rolls over irregularities that can stop the 20. Either that or the the bottom of my pants leg got caught on the axle end of the crank.

Whatever happened it got a sore wrist and a rib injury that took weeks to stop hurting. Could have been worse.

Either way I won't be riding the 20 again without at least wearing wrist guards. These devices stop hyperflex of the wrist, give a bit when they hit and will slide along the tarmac.

Remember it isn't the speed of the fall that is the problem but the deceleration of the stop that does the damage. I have come off the 26 at over 20 km/hr a couple of times and slid to a stop without injury. One time I managed a dive roll but the other was a big slide with my arm out in front. But the sudden stop of a vertical fall from a virtual standstill on the 20 did real damage.

Last edited by OneTrackMind; 2016-01-17 at 11:17 AM.
OneTrackMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-17, 02:02 PM   #5
Resv
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
There are a few things that I really like about the 19" Equinox. I really like the idea of a trials wheel matched with a long neck aluminum frame. That combination is by no means unique to the Equinox but it is on the lower side of the price range for getting all those features.

If you end up using it for trials the 19" tire will put you on an equal playing field with dedicated trials unicycles, The aluminum frame won't weigh you down and the long neck allows a large adjustment range for the various seat heights required for the multiple styles of riding possible on the 20" size.

If price is a concern I would seriously consider the 19" Impact Athmos. It would be a bit heavier, the frame isn't as nice and it might not be quite as refined but should get the job done at 2/3 the price.

What uni has comparable features at the equinox? KH? Now that you mentioned it and after serious consideration i wish i just spent more with an expensive uni like an oregon or KH than upgrading my heavy 26 nimbus muni.

Im thinking if i should just forget about the cheaper price and save for a equinox or better, if there even is a better one. Better as in stronger and lighter, not trying to start a "what makes something better" fued.
Resv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-17, 03:00 PM   #6
DavidHood
Raising my own riding partners

Quote:
Now that you mentioned it and after serious consideration i wish i just spent more with an expensive uni like an oregon or KH than upgrading my heavy 26 nimbus muni.
Not to hijack a trials thread with mUni talk but I would be remiss not to inform you that the 2015 KH mUni line is such a pleasure to ride (the 26er and 29er are crazy light) you'll never consider purchasing anything else. Luckily, I'm blessed with a little more disposable income than I had as a younger adult. My deathbed regret will the 20 year hiatus and not replacing the 24" Schwinn unicycle that I broke in college. As far a midlife crisis goes, even high end unicycles (excluding my Schlumpf hub) are pretty darn cheap. Have you priced a mountain b*ke lately?
Old 2016-01-17, 05:05 PM   #7
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Equinox rider chiming in...let me sum up what I love about my equinox:
  • square crown good for one-footed riding and one-foot-idling
  • extremely long-wearing tire (mine came with the cyko-lite)
  • long neck allows experimentation with low or high seat for seat-in, seat-in-front, freestyle riding
  • black matte is a bad-ass color
  • strong enough to, according the udc, handle a 4-ft rolling-drop (not in my current repertoire)

Weight: This topic deserves its own paragraph. A couple pounds, plus or minus, doesn't seem like a big deal, particularly when that amount is small in relationship to the rider's body weight. I drive a tin-can of a cheap, compact car; it has a 1.4 liter engine; I always seem to make it "off the line" quicker than other cars around me. So, I think, with the light weight comes responsiveness. Way back in another post, someone shared the second-hand concern that the Equinox was "twitchy". I wonder if that is a result of the light weight. A unicycle at the extreme limit of heavy weight would, hypothetically, have greater inertia, would be less likely to change it's trajectory, would be less likely to "twitch". It would also tend to auto-steer.

I wear extensive safety gear while riding my 19". If I'm trying new stuff, I typically have at least one fall ... in which the safety gear does its job ... for every ride. Wrist guards are #1 on my list.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-17, 05:18 PM   #8
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
I really like the equinox but is it really worth spending almost $400 dollars on it Or any other expensive uni?
Short answer: Hell yes. But "worth it" is a very relative term. It depends on your budget. For your very first one, you shouldn't feel the need to go top-of-the-line. After all, you know you're going to beat it up a lot, and also where will you be able to go if you already bought at the top of the food chain?

So go for something a little more affordable. The Atmos is going to be fine and strong, and perfectly good for professional/championship level if you take it there.

So my questions is, would i need to gear up for the 20 ride? I mean a 20 should be slower and i feel like its so close to the ground i wouldnt need them. [/QUOTE]If you're going to be riding down the street in a straight line, not so much. If you're going to be learning new skills, especially involving heights, you have to decide between the inconvenience of wearing pads, vs. the inconvenience of being gashed up, messed-up wrists, etc.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2016-01-17 at 05:20 PM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-17, 06:17 PM   #9
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Quote:
What uni has comparable features at the equinox?
Impact Reagent, KH Longneck, QX-Series longneck, various (now defunct) Koxx unicycles... All good unicycles that fit the "long necked aluminum frame unicycle with 19" tire and good for foot on crown tricks" criteria.
Old 2016-01-18, 03:31 AM   #10
Superbant
Unicyclist

Location: Far, far away in a place with a yard and two floors and a basement and a few unicycles and lots of books and tall trees and good food and some computers and lots of unicycle.com stickers and plenty of misspellings and bad grammar and run on sentances
I think that you'll get used to whatever weight unicycle you get. However, I also believe that if you buy cheap, you'll buy twice. They should all be strong enough, if not, look at your technique first, because it probably be part of the issue. Not that I have good technique or anything, but improvement is free, and it can't hurt. Also, ask yourself whether you willl care about that difference in price in 3 years.

I wear no pads, if I'm in a gym, I don't wear a helmet. I do wear shinguards when learning a new trick, more for the mental aspect of it than for the actual protection. However, one of my friends doesn't wear shinguards for the same reason as I wear them.

Tags
expensive, street, trial, worth