Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 2010-03-17, 03:04 AM   #61
kb1jki
Unicycles on my mind...

We have a tester that will be trying this on his Schlumpf.

I'm hoping that without crankstops, the chain ring spacers will be enough to align the rotor if the cranks creep toward the frame. I also wonder if a crank stop on the right side will be an issue on a Schlumpf despite knowing it would interfere on the left side.

The foremost authority on the subject suggested he didn't see a problem using the brakes with the hub, but you can't foresee everything and I don't intend to hold him to it... There was no endorsement; This is an experiment -we'll see. There was no mention of crank stops.

Our testers are one enthusiast, and two professional testers that we discovered through the forum. The tester that has the Schlumpf has a high degree of knowledge regarding such hubs and likely the forces involved. The benefits of disk brakes are desirable at the speeds of geared systems, if those systems tolerate the brakes... Yipee!

We're ironing out the details of eCommerse, getting distributorship and parts, and then sending the parts to our testers. There may be a further delay, as the desire for bolt on systems greatly exceeds that of weld on systems and problems like annealing hardened aluminum frames by welding, which has our focus on engineering a universal bolt on caliper mount. (It's in the works.) This is the sort of thing we need to test, and a complete bolt on system is what people seem to want to buy.
kb1jki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-17, 07:06 PM   #62
uniShark
muni commuter

+1 re interest in a bolt-on system.
Looking forward to seeing how the final product turns out!

pLs forgve anu typist imak win positing forum my fone.
uniShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-17, 09:38 PM   #63
munirocks
GUnirocks

+1 (=+2)
And I'm curious how the Schlumpf compatibility will work out.
Old 2010-03-18, 02:57 AM   #64
filotr14lsdude
-----

im just wondering with the disc mounted to the Schlumpf axle wouldnt there be a little bit of backlash when using the brakes?

if you stop the axle the hub would still have play within the gears and would cause a slight slipping feel,with a HS33 you wouldnt feel this as bad,because the rim is slowed down.

any input to this?
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-18, 03:05 AM   #65
kb1jki
Unicycles on my mind...

We have not begun testing, but these questions are excellent! I hope to have feedback regarding geared hubs in about a month. We have the right guys on the case and I'm excited to have the right questions to ask! Thanx, keep asking these types of questions!
Old 2010-03-23, 04:19 PM   #66
kb1jki
Unicycles on my mind...

copied post...

I reposted some questions in the Schlumpf general discussion http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...67#post1344567 post #95 got some answers from Jogi that seemed very reasonable which I copied and pasted in this post:

One suggestion on geared hubs. If you brake through(attached to crank) the gearing, it puts a lot of stress on the gears,you would be using the gears to take up all the braking weight. If you brake at the hub it stops the wheel no gearing involved, and at the price of a geared hub, more undue stress through the gearing could have expensive/catastrophic results.
-Lobbybopster

In my opinion it won“t stress the hub more than you can do by your leg power. the hubs are designed to withstand drops up to 5 feet, and even droping 2 or three feet with landing power on back leg will put more energie into the hub than any brake can do.
http://blog.ridetriton.com/__oneclic...schlumpf-3.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1jki View Post
im just wondering with the disc mounted to the Schlumpf axle wouldn't there be a little bit of backlash when using the brakes?

if you stop the axle the hub would still have play within the gears and would cause a slight slipping feel,with a HS33 you wouldn't feel this as bad,because the rim is slowed down.

any input to this?
I am not quite sure but for example, rolling down stairs with or without using magura brake I feel not the play within the gears

Quote:

-filotr14lsdude

If you use a drag brake, what additional strain does it place on the gears that your legs don't when slowing down?
-KB1JKI

I guess smooth downhill braking is much better for the hub than changing leg brake power at each revolution.
Old 2010-03-23, 07:56 PM   #67
kb1jki
Unicycles on my mind...

Update:

We have found a resource for chain ring spacers that can be moved from the inside of the crank to the outside as the crank may creep inward to adjust the rotor outward about 3mm, if you order extras -even further. This should take care of our square taper customers. I don't see any need for adjustment for Isis customers with crank stops. I wonder how much the Schlumpf may creep overall though.

I just handed the machinist a chunk of aluminum to one off our bolt on caliper mount prototype. It may be something I can patent, because of it's uniqueness and universal nature... We'll see.
Old 2010-03-23, 09:30 PM   #68
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

Quote:
I wonder how much the Schlumpf may creep overall though.
More than square-taper I would guess, because the taper on ISIS is much shallower (it wasn't meant to stop the crank, just take up any slop in the splines). People have been talking on the Schlumpf thread about actually having to machine the inside of the cranks out because they creep so far onto the axle.

Perhaps steel cranks would work better on a Schlumpf.

Rob

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)
rob.northcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 04:04 AM   #69
kb1jki
Unicycles on my mind...

if the rotor could compensate for 5mm of allowed creep be fair to offer? I mean, without crank stops, how much forgiveness can be afforded? I think that's as far as I can go with chain ring spacers. if I shim the caliper as well, I could probably get another 3mm... that's nearly 1cm... that's a pretty good tolerance right?
Old 2010-04-07, 05:12 AM   #70
kb1jki
Unicycles on my mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.northcott;

EDIT: I think the OP's comment that it'll be cheaper than [a Magura HS33
is interesting though. New, maybe, but HS33s are so common they can be picked up on ebay very cheaply (the two I've got on my unicycles cost be £4 and £10 respectively after reselling the other half of the brake, Evo mounts and boosters).
You're right, we'll compare with the new HS33, but maybe when you can pick up MountainUni.com Disk Brakes used, they'll cost something similar. Also, the system consists of a crank, mount, rotor, and brake... if you get a shimano deore brake or avid mechanical caliper, they only cost $50, the crank $60, and we're working on a cost of rotor looking better with laser cutting in bulk... will update soon. We may upcharge the crank an additional amount if we offer a dual hole solution. We're discussing it with the manufacturer, but it's a steep investment for the initial run... We'll see! that would be like two upgrades in one, a dual hole disk brake upgrade.
Old 2010-04-08, 06:59 AM   #71
jogi
vegan rider

you can compare prices if it has the same brake - character.
if testing shows benefits, or different brake - charakter than its not only a question of price

I love to have different options in unicycling gear and i think there can“t be to much developement in such things...
www.ridetriton.com
jogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 08:58 PM   #72
kb1jki
Unicycles on my mind...

this is what they look like from the machinist, from the manufacturer, the holes would be powder coated too. I just wonder if we should sell all the sizes of Sinz, or all dual hole, and if all dual holes we offer just be 150/125.
Attached Images

Old 2010-04-09, 09:27 PM   #73
kb1jki
Unicycles on my mind...

with the disk...
Attached Images

Old 2010-04-09, 09:31 PM   #74
steveyo
...feeding the machine...

Quote:
with the disk...
Pretty work.

- a few uni race write-ups
- muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers
steveyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 12:39 AM   #75
TheRhino
Unicyclist

It's great to see your innovation getting ready to make it to the market. You all did a great job, with excellent attention to detail. I really like the way your company name is cut into the rotor as well. Excellent work!
TheRhino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arrived, brakes, disc, mountainuni, mumpitz