Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 2019-05-07, 04:55 AM   #8131
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Sunday I rode a 14 mile loop through the Aliso and Wood Canyon Park. I was resting after climbing to the top of a steep hill. A mountain biker reached the top of the hill a couple minutes later, looked at my unicycle, then said, "So that's where those weird tire tracks came from!"

And my favorite quote of the day: "That's badass!"
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-07, 07:02 PM   #8132
AzTinbender
Unicyclist

While crossing paths with an unknown mountain biker on my Saturday morning MUni ride: Dude, let me punch your man card!
AzTinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-08, 07:31 PM   #8133
Kram Costello
Unicyclist

Got a "That's cool" from a group of sheriff's deputies parked near a trailhead doing lord knows what. Then they yelled the suggestion to put my hands up, which I did, and it really helped my riding as I sped away.

Last edited by Kram Costello; 2019-05-08 at 07:33 PM.
Kram Costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-10, 02:21 AM   #8134
mrfixit
Unicyclist

I never heard this one before: It takes twice the man to ride half the bike. Or something very similar to that.
mrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-31, 10:20 AM   #8135
ruari
 

Unicycle Hate

This thread is generally very positive so I was in two minds about posting it here and bringing the mood down but I am also curious about your (collective) thoughts. And it is on-topic given these are quotes from non-riders.

Anyway, I was trying to find an old tweet I saw and ran various searches with terms like unicycle, unicyclist, etc.

Amongst the results I started to see a pattern of hate towards unicyclists. Don't get me wrong, this was not the majority of hits but there are certainly a lot of them amongst the other, more normal results:

What is the deal here? Why do they care so much and so negatively about something that does not effect them in the slightest. I get that a lot of people are not interested but why so angry?

P.S. If you can handle strong language, here is the uncensored version.

Last edited by ruari; 2019-05-31 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Censored the image as it was a little full-on!
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-31, 12:11 PM   #8136
DrD
Unicyclist

I think fundamentally this is just bullying type behaviour and has the same underlying reasons as to why they have done it.

I've got a fairly negative attitude to social-media platforms in general and the sort of behaviours that they support. I did chuckle a bit at some of the (unsensored) comments though -- at what they said about the poster rather than the supreme wit -- but I won't expand as that would seem a bit hypocritical!
DrD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-31, 01:45 PM   #8137
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruari View Post
What is the deal here? Why do they care so much and so negatively about something that does not effect them in the slightest.
I've been criticized in the past for bringing politics into the unicycle forum. Here we go again...

Take all the tweets, above, and replace the word 'unicycle' with 'gay', 'feminist' or 'immigrant'. You get the idea. Please let me know if you disagree with the following: The above tweets are coming from the political right wing. They say more about the people who wrote them than they do about unicyclists. Twitter has a right-wing problem. This is an example of social media encouraging antisocial behavior.
Old 2019-05-31, 02:01 PM   #8138
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
I've been criticized in the past for bringing politics into the unicycle forum. Here we go again...

Take all the tweets, above, and replace the word 'unicycle' with 'gay', 'feminist' or 'immigrant'. You get the idea. Please let me know if you disagree with the following: The above tweets are coming from the political right wing. They say more about the people who wrote them than they do about unicyclists. Twitter has a right-wing problem. This is an example of social media encouraging antisocial behavior.
I would probably be considered pretty left-wing and I will admit I jumped straight to that conclusion. I also looked at the accounts listed and where one could ascertain their political viewpoints from descriptions or tweet history, that did seem to be the case.

However a colleague and friend did point out one logic flaw with this assumption. I did not look into accounts from people who write comments that are positive to unicyclists. It could be that right-wingers also represent highly in those tweets as well. They could just be just more vocal, passionate, etc.

I'll admit, I doubt this (again this is just a personal opinion and hence almost certainly clouded by my own political bias) but in any case, without checking you cannot really draw solid conclusions here.

Last edited by ruari; 2019-05-31 at 02:08 PM.
Old 2019-05-31, 02:32 PM   #8139
ruari
 

To brighten the mood slightly I also found one other interesting tweet in my searches

Old 2019-05-31, 06:35 PM   #8140
Setonix
Unicyclist

Let people have there opinions. I love unicycling and I will keep doing it until my body gives out.

Most reactions I get when I ride are quite ok though. Mostly it is me complaining about bike riders, coz I feel I have to keep my balance more on narrow bike paths and people riding close to me.

The only negtive remarks I got once were from some kids of 12, wondering why I didn't just take the bike like everybody else. Just be normal. That is just boring.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-01, 02:06 PM   #8141
Stagehand
Unicyclist

After reading the comments; I think that most of them are a case of internet ballz. Unfortunately many people are sheep and hide behind their keyboard. They have a tendency to write comments that they would never dare to say in-person. YouTube comments are a prime example.
I am a relatively new rider (read: not very good). All the comments made to me fall with in 3 categories. Curiosity, humor or encouragement. Not one has been snide or negative.
Ignore the keyboard commandos and go out and have fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruari View Post
This thread is generally very positive so I was in two minds about posting it here and bringing the mood down but I am also curious about your (collective) thoughts. And it is on-topic given these are quotes from non-riders.

Anyway, I was trying to find an old tweet I saw and ran various searches with terms like unicycle, unicyclist, etc.

Amongst the results I started to see a pattern of hate towards unicyclists. Don't get me wrong, this was not the majority of hits but there are certainly a lot of them amongst the other, more normal results:

What is the deal here? Why do they care so much and so negatively about something that does not effect them in the slightest. I get that a lot of people are not interested but why so angry?

P.S. If you can handle strong language, here is the uncensored version.
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-02, 12:07 PM   #8142
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post

That's the guy who says "I hate liberals so much" who made you think about that?

You have a very good point. And the irony is that it's not particularly a "liberals" sport. The clichÚ might see it as a juggler circus animal rights dreadlocks wearing activity, but reality is different!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-02, 01:52 PM   #8143
DSchmitt
Human Gyroscope

I finally heard something new yesterday.

I was riding behind a woman on a bicycle and I passed her. As I passed by, she looked to her left and says "What the hell!? You must be on crystal riding that thing!".

I laughed. I held back from saying you're obviously the one on crystal.

She pretty much looked like the woman in the attached picture.
Attached Images

Last edited by DSchmitt; 2019-06-02 at 01:53 PM.
DSchmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-02, 02:04 PM   #8144
Setonix
Unicyclist

Today as I went riding in the forest, it was very hot - 30 degrees celsius, there were many soft sand patches that I am not a star in to plough through. However this time I managed to stay on for quite a few more metres than usual. Naturally just as I went down a group mountainbike riders came around a corner. They said something like "good going... in the sandbox". Not sure if he was sarcastic. A bit later a woman was genuinely surprised as she passed me and said "well done". To her it seems like Im doing something impossible, but it really isnt that hard anymore. I took the KH26 for a spin which is very easy to mount and it gives a comfy ride.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-02, 02:20 PM   #8145
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

On my last ride: "Someone stole your front wheel!"

I've never heard that variation on that joke.

Tags
day, mumpitz, nonriders, unicycle