Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-07-20, 03:27 AM   #1
Saul_nova
Unicyclist

Looking for truly slick 24" tire for 1st uni.

My interest in getting a unicycle has re-sparked recently. I'd like to have a 24" wheel with a slick-treaded tire. The problem is that this size seems to have the least number of slick tire varieties being marketed. And when I say "slick" I mean 'totally bald', like this Schwalbe Kojak, except in a 24" instead of the 20":
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...k-20-road-tire

The unicycle I was considering is the Club 24:
https://www.unicycle.com/club-24-unicycle-black/

Thanks.
Saul_nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-20, 10:07 AM   #2
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

My first question would be why are you so specific about what tyre you will want on your first unicycle?

The manufacturers of quality unicycles have expert input from experienced enthusiasts and although most of us upgrade and modify our unicycles according to personal preference and need, the requirement for a perfectly slick tyre on a 24 is hard to understand.

A knobbly tyre suitable for muni will of course slow you down and slow your steering, and a smooth tyre suitable for general indoor and road use won't be ideal for muni, but why a slick?

What do you have in mind?

Have you ever ridden a unicycle before at all?
Old 2018-07-20, 02:31 PM   #3
Unipig
Unicyclist

Drag Race?
Unipig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-20, 03:07 PM   #4
Saul_nova
Unicyclist

Anyone? Know of a slick tire in 24"?
Old 2018-07-20, 03:49 PM   #5
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Schwalbe make a fair few slick 24" tyres (I think they're usually put on things like folding bikes and trailers). Doesn't the Durano come in a 24", and the Schwalbe One?

They're just a few I vaguely remember when I was shopping for slick tyres
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-20, 10:06 PM   #6
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul_nova View Post
And when I say "slick" I mean 'totally bald', like this Schwalbe Kojak, except in a 24" instead of the 20"
You can get the Kojak in 24" if that's what you really want, just search Google.
MrImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-21, 01:09 AM   #7
Saul_nova
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrImpossible View Post
You can get the Kojak in 24" if that's what you really want, just search Google.
You're right! I found a folding-bike-centric shop that has it! The Schwalbe website shows a void in sizes between the 20" and 26", which, along with not finding it in a web search previously, had me discouraged.

This is fantastic. I wouldn't be able to respect myself, having a goofy, knobby tire on a pavement-intended unicycle. Happy now to join the one-wheeler ranks.
Old 2018-07-21, 06:29 PM   #8
Alice Arctan
rhymes with dark tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
Doesn't the Durano come in a 24" … ?
It's 23-520.
Alice Arctan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-23, 03:23 AM   #9
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul_nova View Post
I wouldn't be able to respect myself, having a goofy, knobby tire on a pavement-intended unicycle.
So your goal is to not look goofy? Good luck!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-25, 06:07 PM   #10
Saul_nova
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
So your goal is to not look goofy? Good luck!
I assure you that I'm fully prepared to look goofy during the learning stage. The goal of this message topic was to better-optimize my unicycle's functionality. Only being able to buy a pavement-intended unicycle with a knobby tire is ridiculous. The customer base needs to demand better.
Old 2018-07-25, 06:52 PM   #11
rogeratunicycledotcom
Mostly OKish Unicyclist

Best 24" tyre is the Maxxis Hookworm in my opinion. If you get an option go for the heavier version.

It offers amazing grip, is tough and does not suffer from camber problems.

Roger
The UK's Unicycle Source
www.unicycle.co.uk
+++++++++++++++++++
rogeratunicycledotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-25, 07:19 PM   #12
Saul_nova
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogeratunicycledotcom View Post
Best 24" tyre is the Maxxis Hookworm in my opinion. If you get an option go for the heavier version.

Roger
Thanks much for the suggestion. I would be ecstatic if I could get that tire substituted for the one that currently comes on the Club unicycles.
Old 2018-07-25, 11:36 PM   #13
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:

Roger
It should be noted that the camber effect of a tire is not always easy to determine from users reports. Many have reported that the Hookworm is quite bad on road camber. One thread reported, "The Hookworm has one real strength, bead to bead tread, making it a very robust tyre, great on sharp rocks and drops. The drawback it that it is very heavy and rigid against sideways forces resulting in strong camber effects and very slow response." At:
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121240
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-26, 10:51 AM   #14
rogeratunicycledotcom
Mostly OKish Unicyclist

My experience and feed back from our customers is that the tyre is one of the best on the market for camber. This was are go to tyre for a long time until they got almost impossible to get hold of... so we have sold a lot of them. I had not seen that thread before, I will need to investigate further as to why he is reporting camber problems on a tyre we have not had problems with. It is NOT an offroad tyre, it is a tyre for general use on road though.

We are out of the tyre at the moment so we can not do any swaps.

Roger
The UK's Unicycle Source
www.unicycle.co.uk
+++++++++++++++++++
rogeratunicycledotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-26, 11:26 AM   #15
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
I had not seen that thread before, I will need to investigate further as to why he is reporting camber problems on a tyre we have not had problems with.
As I said in the other thread, I have 20 inch Hookworm. I experimented once to see if I could make it react to camber by lowering the pressure. It seemed immune.

I have not ridden it for a very long time but my experience of the 26 inch Hookworm was very bad. I was running it at 30 psi and the camber effect seemed strong in the little riding I did on it.

I suspect if it were pumped to maximum pressure the problem would be reduced as it is with most tyres. But in the same test ride I had the tyre slip while decelerating on smooth rain-soaked concrete so I wan't inclined to raise the pressure either. Replaced it with a DTH and never looked back at the Hookworm.

The Hookworm's weight is great for momentum but it makes it unresponsive, especially in a larger diameter.

I have never had a 24 inch Hookworm and wondered if it would feel more like the 20 or the 26. Another rider on this forum reported that they found the 24 was bad on camber.

Tags
1st, tire, uni