Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2014-08-04, 09:57 AM   #31
colinoldncranky
Look mum, no training wheel!

Send a message via Skype™ to colinoldncranky
What I have finally settled on

I had my rather savvy daughter make me a custom bag. However, it proved not be satisfactory - it is difficult to get thru crowds, had to get it to sit well wehn hands are full with other stuff and so forth.

So last time I travelled by air I broke it into three - the forks, the seat and post and the wheel. The forks and seat fit easily into my 70L backpack and the wheel, in a bag, is strapped to the backpack when I am at the airport.

Disassemebly/reassembly takes ten minutes with a light ratchet spanner for the bearing caps, a socket to undo (and later refit) the crack bolts and a samll crank puller.

The wheel cover has a pair of core flute disks to protect the spokes. When the unicycle is re-assembled they are folded flat in half and carried in the backpack.

The wheel cover features four radial slits for attaching the strapping (though they are not essnetial). One slit is longer so that I can carry the wheel in my hand if I have the backpack on my back.
colinoldncranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-09, 05:15 PM   #32
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Thanks for the input colinoldncranky. I'll have to keep that in mind since I'll need to take a train from the airport to the hotel.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-06, 10:14 PM   #33
Engineer on a Unicycle
Learning to say "on your left"

I had plans of making a "cello gig bag" type zip case for a 26" unicycle, albeit a bit less form-fitting than the green one shown earlier in this thread. But I was impatient and my long zipper hadn't arrived yet, so last night I decided to make a quicker version as an evolution of the laundry bag I'd been using to carry my 20".

Basically I made a big drawstring top sack out of a canvas painter's tarp.

But before I closed it up, I sewed some 1" nylon webbing up the center, from where the axle ends up to just below where the seatpost top falls, forming loops at the top and bottom for snap links. Then on the inside I put some ties at either end of this. Before putting the unicycle in it, I use a loose piece of string to tie the outboard pedal to the frame in a raised position, putting the inside one down. The lower of the two sewn in ties goes around the axle to hold the lower end, I raise the bag over the tire and pedals, tie the upper tie around the seatpost, and use the drawstring to close the bag just above the saddle.

A carry strap clips to the upper and lower loops and lets me sling the unicycle across my back, or over one shoulder - effectively the carry strap attaches right through to the ties inside and carries the unicycle, which thus wears the bag more than rides in it, and so doesn't shift around. Some back padding inside may be in the cards at some point, but it's surprisingly comfortable without - I've carried the 26" a mile that way across town to the bike path.

But even though I thought I made it loose enough, raising the bag over the tire is frustrating (putting it in a garbage bag first would probably help, but I'd probably have to replace those frequently). Doing the original version with a zipper on one edge seems like it will be worth the time. I'm also hoping to find some nylon packcloth that won't show mud quite as much as I imagine this will, and hopefully won't fill up the little backpack I put it in when riding to quite the same degree.

I may also make up a bare version of the carry strap for briefer "portages" where I'm not going in an out of buildings or elevators and so don't feel wrapping it up is worth the bother.
Old 2017-02-01, 02:51 PM   #34
steviesmallfry
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vookash View Post
I just got a "giant" military bag I ordered long time ago:
http://allegro.pl/wojskowy-worek-tra...075162448.html
I took off pedals and it ate my 26er up to the saddle, so it seems that just pedals and saddle needs to be removed to fit whole uni in this bag. Unfortunately it is very tight with road tire (26x2.1) so with bigger tire I would need to deflate it. Still not that much work for bigger travel and it costed 5$ with shipping.
What size bag is that???

Also, what size trash bags work for carrying a unicycle with 20" tire?
steviesmallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-11, 03:19 PM   #35
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Hey everyone!

I thought I'd re-open this thread out of curiosity. This year I've taken part in a boatload of cycling events, almost all of which involved me having to carry my unicycle on a tram that doesn't allow any sort of bicycle, unless they're folded up and inside a bag/case/box.

I used a thick plastic bag my sister got from work, looks like this:

However the bag isn't lasting particularly well and I'm worried my uni is going to eat it up if I try for another year of events!

So I'm looking for a bag that'll fold or roll up and be small and light enough to stash into my backpack I wear to do the actual ride, and yet be big enough to carry a 29" wheel without undoing the bearing cups (Seatpost is fine though).

Quite open to bodging a solution together using a bit of tarp and some blue rope if it comes to it, I literally just ride to the tram stop, whip my seatpost off and stick the uni in the bag, reversing the process once I'm in town, so I don't need anything high-tech!

Does anyone else have such a solution that might work? Again emphasis on keeping the bag packable when not in use is preferred
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-11, 11:39 PM   #36
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Ken’s solution would probably work for you.

http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/a...ing-unicycles/

Here’s another idea on You Tube.

https://youtu.be/nnnFIsG7T18

Or perhaps a Dimpa Bag from Ikea.

https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/10056770/
Old 2018-10-11, 11:52 PM   #37
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

I love the look of both those two solutions! The Ikea one looks a bit small but I'll have a look around for something similar and bigger

Thanks a lot!
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Old 2018-10-11, 11:59 PM   #38
Vertigo
Unicyclist

I have the IKEA bag. The wheel will fit but the frame might stick out. I’ll see if I can get a picture of my 29er in it.
Old 2018-10-12, 12:16 AM   #39
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

It's listed as being 25.5" high which doesn't sound big enough for a 29" wheel, but if it fits then I reckon I might go with it. If the saddle pokes out I can always pop the seatpost out (which is what I do with my plastic bag right now).
Old 2018-10-12, 01:49 AM   #40
Vertigo
Unicyclist

This is a Oracle with a Big Apple tire on a Dominator 2 rim. I didn't take the pedals off. If you have a bigger tire then it might not fit.

The seat could probably fit in the bag if taken off the frame.

Last edited by Vertigo; 2018-10-12 at 01:50 AM.
Old 2018-10-12, 04:45 AM   #41
pierrox
Unicyclist

I found a bike bag when I went to London at the end of the summer.

It's advertised for 14" folding bikes, but being pretty thick I had no problem fitting the 29" uni in there - removed the pedals and the wheel. It held everything including my shoes/glove/gear.
Came with a neat little bag to store it.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-12, 07:29 PM   #42
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Yeah I use a Schwalbe 2" tyre on mine (Either Marathon Supreme or Mondial, depending on the season ) and it's a D2 rim as well, so chances are mine'll fit in the Ikea bag as well as yours (I whip the seatpost off as well currently, so that's no biggie)

Pierrox - that looks like an awesome solution as well! I did look at folding bike bags but as they were all advertised as being for small 14" bikes I figured they'd be far too small, looks like I was wrong!

Tags
bag, carry, uni