Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-01-02, 05:22 AM   #16
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_childs View Post
Would it have been easier for Sem to ride the 115' unicycle if it was on a tightwire just 1' off the ground?
Flash forward to 2018! I don't know if John Childs is still around (we missed you at NAUCC 2017!), but it's an interesting question. I'm not sure why John thought it would be easier to ride a tall unicycle on a wire; it would not! You can't make any corrections for side-to-side drift. The main problem with flex on really-tall giraffes is the stresses caused by the chain pulling, which flexes the frame toward the front and rear. Side-to-side flex is not a known issue, at least with a well-made frame.

Why am I posting this? While trying to find something else, I came across a video clip of Steve McPeak riding his 41-footer on the 40' wire (at Circus Circus Las Vegas) in the 1970s. Pretty amazing! I think he had a pair of safety wires on either side of him, but I do not believe he was tethered in any way. Plus he had a massive balance pole, but that's probably necessary for something so tall on a wire...

It really would be interesting to learn more about that 40' uni from Grand Junction. Now the photo links are gone, and I don't even remember what it looked like. I do remember seeing the Steve McPeak uni as I mentioned earlier in this thread. That museum closed many years ago, and I don't know what became of that unicycle afterward. I doubt it made its way to Colorado...

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
giraffe, historical, photos