Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2007-11-05, 05:53 PM   #1
Bondo
Unicyclist

Historical 45' Giraffe; Photos

I was just in Grand Junction Colorado for a night this past weekend and was walking Main St. I walked into a bike shop I found because they had a bunch of funky bikes, tandems, and farthings.

I asked if they had unicycles. The sales clerk said "Wow, you're like the third person in two weeks to ask about unicycles, the only one we have is right above me." As she pointed up to the ceiling. I was confused as all I saw above her was (I thought) the fire sprinkler pipes.

It wasn't a fire pipe, it was a 45 foot giraffe. It stretched from one end of the store to the other, hung by the ceiling.

Turns out there was a semi-famous circus-unicycling family that lived in Grand Junction and they built this unicycle to break the world record.
Here is a picture of that record setting ride:

The record held for two months I was told. A museum in Grand Junction held onto the unicycle in peices for many years and was going to throw it out when the bike shop saved it from the landfill and put it on display.

A cool piece of Unicycle history that I thought needed documenting here.

Some details;
The wheel assembly: (20" white wall!)

Wire guides along the length:

How 'bout this seat? Ouch!

The shop was pretty busy and the guy was trying to find the newspaper articles, but I told him don't worry I would stop in some other day, and they should put it up on their wall. I gave him my email for when he had an electronic version available.

I don't know the name of this family, or what year this may have happened. (Pic looks like 60-63?) I'd be curious to know if there is any other mention in any unicycle histories someone may have.
?
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 06:20 PM   #2
rem48
just for exercise

thanks for sharing. Looks great!
rem48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 09:17 PM   #3
oneisenough
Trialstreet Rider

thats cool. thanks for the info, very interesting!
Originally Posted by The UniSLAB
Go big or go home, don worry about those little clown tricks called flips and wrap arounds. We don't dance with our uni's, we jump em
2nd Place*)---', 6ft Static Gap
oneisenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 05:06 AM   #4
skilewis74
Stupidity gets you 2 of these:

Send a message via Yahoo to skilewis74
OMFG that is a tall uni and ouch is right!

Anybody know what the record now is?

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building
skilewis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 05:14 AM   #5
Daytripper63
Robs World

That seat looks about as comfortable as a Torker Lx seat
Daytripper63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 08:09 AM   #6
john_childs
Guinness Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilewis74
OMFG that is a tall uni and ouch is right!

Anybody know what the record now is?
115 feet give or take a few inches. Record by Sem Abrahams. See the link for pictures and video.
john_childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 08:15 AM   #7
tomblackwood
Tailgate at your own risk...

Coolest new RSU thread in a while, and absolutely forum appropriate. Thanks Bondo! Great job on the pictures!

Now we just need our esteemed historians to jump in with some details around the history of the actual ride. I wonder when it happened, and whether T. Miller had anything to do with the construction of the giraffe.

Last edited by tomblackwood; 2007-11-06 at 08:15 AM.
tomblackwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 09:26 AM   #8
Naomi
Stupid Asian tart riding that thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo
I don't know the name of this family, or what year this may have happened. (Pic looks like 60-63?) I'd be curious to know if there is any other mention in any unicycle histories someone may have.
?

Interestingly the Seb Site lists his record progress, one of which was 45 feet. In 1976.

Might it be possible that the shop has his old record breaking unicycle. Or was the record held jointly by him and another?

Nao
Old 2007-11-06, 09:45 AM   #9
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi
Interestingly the Seb Site lists his record progress, one of which was 45 feet. In 1976.

Might it be possible that the shop has his old record breaking unicycle. Or was the record held jointly by him and another?
Looking at the film on Sem's site (which actually says 1977 when you click on the link) it doesn't look like the one Bondo saw - no whitewall tyre, fork looks tubular rather than flat, chainwheels look much bigger.

Strange.

Rob
rob.northcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 09:47 AM   #10
Hazmat
Too insane to be considered human.

Well i did find this one quite tall and interesting. I wouldn't even know how high this one is.
Attached Images

Can't wait till this game is finally released.
Hazmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 11:31 AM   #11
john_childs
Guinness Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat
Well i did find this one quite tall and interesting. I wouldn't even know how high this one is.
22 feet, just like this one with Chaz Marquette. That photo looks like it's Tom Miller on the unicycle. He's the one who built it and the one that Chaz is riding. Tom Miller is The Unicycle Factory. My understanding is that there are two of those 22 footers. Chaz has one and Tom Miller has the other.
Old 2007-11-06, 03:31 PM   #12
UniBrier
Time To Ride

I agree, a good find on unicycle history.

One suggestion: Re-size the pics and attach them to a post(s) rather than hot-linking them from photobucket. If the photobucket pics ever go away we've lost the pics forever in RSU.

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.” – Homer
UniBrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 03:41 PM   #13
James_Potter
Unicyclist

So...is it for sale?
( :
James_Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 11:52 PM   #14
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_childs
22 feet, just like this one with Chaz Marquette. That photo looks like it's Tom Miller on the unicycle. He's the one who built it and the one that Chaz is riding. Tom Miller is The Unicycle Factory. My understanding is that there are two of those 22 footers. Chaz has one and Tom Miller has the other.
The unicycle in the photo above is actually Chaz's 22-footer, being ridden by the builder, Tom Miller, just before handing it over to Chaz, at Unicon I. I took the picture. Chaz must have painted the unicycle a different color since then, but it definitely started life white, which was probably the color he ordered. Otherwise Tom made everything blue.

That year he also had a 16-footer (blue) along. Both of these giraffes could be assembled at 16' or 22'. That 16-footer was the tallest unicycle I ever intend to ride. Later Tom made a third one, for Constance Cotter. She rode it in a big promotional event at the Mall of America to set the world record for the tallest unicycle ridden by a woman. I think this was part of a promotion for the release of the new Nintendo game, UniRacers, and I think this was in 1992.

I never heard of the unicycle and record in the thread title, and it doesn't resemble any of Tom Miller's work (plus he never mentioned it). Sem rode his in 1976 or 77, at 45'. That unicycle is probably still in Suriname, where it was ridden. Brett Shockley, from Minnesota, rode a unicycle of around 50' in a similar timeframe, and I don't think there were any more attempts until Sem's next record, at 72' in 1980.

The Guinness World Records museum that used to be in the Empire State Building in NY had Steve McPeak's 41' unicycle, also from the mid-70s. This one holds the record for highest unicycle ever ridden on a tightwire (40' up!).

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 12:40 AM   #15
john_childs
Guinness Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss
The Guinness World Records museum that used to be in the Empire State Building in NY had Steve McPeak's 41' unicycle, also from the mid-70s. This one holds the record for highest unicycle ever ridden on a tightwire (40' up!).
That's an interesting record. How does the tightwire aspect affect the riding of such a tall unicycle? A unicycle that tall is going to have twist and sway. So if you're riding it on the flat ground (with a tire on the rim) I'd think the wheel would wander a bit just due to the twist and sway in the unicycle frame. Now if you put it on a tightwire you constrain the wheel so it can no longer wander from side to side. Does that actually make it easier at that point since you know the wheel is always going to go straight? I'm assuming that on a 41' unicycle you can't use body english and action-reaction to turn or twist the thing like you can on a little 6' Schwinn giraffe cause the frame is going to be flexing and the unicycle weighs so much.

I have never, and will never, ride a tall tall giraffe. I also have never, and will never, ride any sort of unicycle on a tightwire. So I'm unaware of the actual challenges and issues involved.

Would it have been easier for Sem to ride the 115' unicycle if it was on a tightwire just 1' off the ground?

Tags
giraffe, historical, photos