Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-10-14, 02:10 PM   #31
sayto2018

Thank you for the thread

Thanks for the thread it is very interesting!!!
sayto2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 04:40 AM   #32
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Oh look, she is still so beautiful! You took good care of her. Looks like you upgraded the pedals to some ones like I still have on my old Wilder Muni. And the old "hat" on top of the seat because that's how we used to make them more comfy.

Square taper axles are now a rarity on the trails, at least among uni-nerds. Great to see she is still in one piece. Thanks for retelling the story of the auction, which I barely remember. I only remember wishing I'd just donated some money to Unicon and kept the uni!

Here's the photo from the old link above; the Ofoto website is long gone now, and I still have to upload most of my pre-2003 pictures to Smugmug...
Attached Images

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-17, 04:14 PM   #33
ZaphodB
Unicyclist

Yeah I'm thinking I'll reinstall the original cranks and pedals. Those Odyssey "shin shredders" earned their nickname with me years ago on a group ride (kleenex and duct tape til the end of the ride and then ER for stitches). Still, I've never had a problem with a foot slipping off with those.

Seat is an air saddle conversion using a tube from a kid's bike and a Roach cover. Did a number of those back in the day and still really like them!

Thanks so much for your decision to donate it to Unicon! It was truly bizarre that I ended up being the only bidder but you made one unicyclist really happy. As the favorite of my uni's, it gets the honored position of always being in the back of my vehicle for opportunistic rides whereas the others (e.g. Coker, Miyata Flamingo, Yuni, Pashley, etc) hang in the ceiling of my shop.

As a Sacto guy (high school, CSUS), next time I cruise back down to the valley, I'll let you know when I'll be on the American River Bike Trail if you'd like to ride it again.

Cheers,

Keith
ZaphodB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-19, 05:13 AM   #34
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodB View Post
As a Sacto guy (high school, CSUS), next time I cruise back down to the valley, I'll let you know when I'll be on the American River Bike Trail if you'd like to ride it again.
Definitely do! That sexy picture of the uni next to the running water is taken at William Pond Park, near the bridge that the bike path takes over the river.

I came to the Sacramento area in 1994, and done a ton of riding on that bike path.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-28, 03:44 AM   #35
beelzebub of balance
Old dog, no tricks

This thread is a really fun blast from the past! I'm still riding my Steve Howard and Telford unicycles. My Howard is set up with a 19 inch trials wheel; my Telford is a 24x3 muni. Both are incredibly sweet!

Rob, my brother-in-law, had a lovely Steve Howard, but lost it in the Napa Fire last fall. It was reduced to a puddle of shiny aluminum.

I'm rooting for everyone at the California Muni Weekend! I can't make it this year--the day-job thing is becoming a bit inconvenient.

Best wishes everybody!

David Maxfield
Park City, UT
beelzebub of balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-28, 07:51 PM   #36
ZaphodB
Unicyclist

Excellent, love to see some pictures if possible!

Is your SH one of the aluminum ones like the pics above? I know Steve also did some industrial looking perforated frames that almost look like erector set parts. Those are quite appealing to me and would love to see more photos.

Does anyone know if there were any other frames by SH?

Cheers,

Keith
ZaphodB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, howard, muni, steve