Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-09-10, 04:24 AM   #46
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Have you considered using the tire-grab mount? Works for some riders on certain size unicycles. Some riders find looking downwards disorienting. I wore full fingered gloves while practicing it. Allowed me to start out closer to 3:00/9:00 where I was more successful riding away. Leaning forward to grab the tire also helped get my center of mass over the hub. The tire grab is kind of a cheater mount, but it gets the job done, and it helped me transition to a proper static mount. I suggest trying the tire grab mount initially on grass; with anything new, weird stuff can happen.

Don't give up on the 6:00 mount. My suggestion for dealing with the deadness of 6:00 is to, once your second foot is planted on the 12:00 pedal, to ride away very slowly. It's definitely doable, and every failed mount will help you learn an appropriate dismount.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-12, 06:13 AM   #47
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Well after 32 hours of practise spread out over 31 days, I can ride my 26Ē unicycle. My sitting in the saddle has improved a lot, it does need more refinement though. My arms are not waving nearly as much as they used to, they are down quite a bit from straight out a lot of the time. I do not experience failed take offs too often anymore. I have limited myself to a 150 foot section of gravel to try and hone my new skills instead of trying for distance records. I have tried free mounting for half an hour at a time for the past three days. I am working on the static position and can get up on the seat and stay there momentarily. I try and do it slowly. I can sometimes get my foot on the 12 oíclock pedal and try to move it but those dead pedals donít budge before I fall over. Do I have to learn to sit for a couple of seconds to be able to get this? I realize that 1.5 hours isnít much so Iíll keep at it. Iíve also started launching today from between two four foot high sawhorses. I do not have a stop behind the wheel. I mount in the dead position, then hold the saw horses and move the pedals to horizontal, lean forward and go. It works ok. I will try and use just one sawhorse soon and see if I can do it without twisting sideways. Anyhow thatís where Iím at, needing to catch on to the free mount. Suggestions are always appreciated. Thank you
lowerstackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-12, 06:53 AM   #48
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerstackmac View Post
I am working on the static position and can get up on the seat and stay there momentarily. I try and do it slowly. I can sometimes get my foot on the 12 o’clock pedal and try to move it but those dead pedals don’t budge before I fall over.
That is not an easy way to do a static mount.
See the suggestions in this post, especially the link to unimyra's video. Search for more of his videos.

Last edited by OneTrackMind; 2018-09-12 at 06:53 AM.
OneTrackMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-12, 07:16 AM   #49
pierrox
Unicyclist

Agreed, Unimyra's video are a very good breakdown of the steps required:

pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-12, 08:16 AM   #50
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Grats mac! Such a monster of an accomplishment!

Whatever you may or may not be doing wrong, you're clearly doing something right. Keep it up!

I'll be interested to hear about your progress and your choices to make that 150 feet your best possible learning experience.
Old 2018-09-12, 01:46 PM   #51
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
That is not an easy way to do a static mount.
6 and 12:00 is a hard way to mount, I agree. But it's a starting point for bringing the lower pedal a tiny bit closer to the rider. If a beginner starts free mounting with a static mount similar to a more experienced rider, they are going to be eating gravel during a failed mount. Part of the reason I like the 6 and 12:00 mount is because it's safer, and because it trains the rider to bail out with the upper foot first, followed by the lower foot at the 6:00 position.

On a side note: Many of us have seen Terry's (Unigeezer) egg demonstration. The first planted foot has no weight on the pedal. While this technique may be necessary for a 36" unicycle, on smaller wheel sizes the rider's center of gravity may be high enough to allow significant weight to be put on the first foot...which is then balanced by the weight in the seat...to produce a real static mount...which is, again, safer.
Old 2018-09-12, 04:54 PM   #52
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Thank you for the feedback. I have looked at unimyraís video, he makes it look so easy. I thought, amazing, I can do that. He even starts on his left foot as I do. Not so easy, the pedals keep coming back to the dead position. I try to get my weight onto the left side with my left foot, push down on the seat with my left arm. I lean into the seat to try and get weight on it, then step up with my right foot. I donít seem to find a spot where the wheel locks up. Conclusion, Unimyra must be using magic to keep that wheel from moving. What position are the pedals in, are they actually as they look to be, at 3 & 9? My seat is as high as it can go with out my legs being straight, so I donít think that is the problem. So how does he keep that wheel from rotating?
I have inner ear issues that donít like the wheel grab method so that is out. I have some great info from Canoeheadted and elpuebloUNIdo, OTM and others on the static mount. I will continue to work on that and try some more of unimyraís method. Iíll keep you informed of my success. Cheers all.
Old 2018-09-13, 07:48 PM   #53
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

I Can Free Mount!

Good day to everyone. The first thirty minutes of todayís practice yielded no positive results or so it seemed. During the next fifteen minutes I was able to free mount Four times. The light has come on. After 34 hours over 33 days I can ride and free mount a unicycle, sort of. I am very happy with that to say the least. Thank you all for your help in getting me to this stage. Drinks are on me tonight. 🍻
Old 2018-09-13, 10:12 PM   #54
MUCFreerider
29" Muni/Downhill! (and 36" Muni)

Congrats! Nice progress under difficult conditions with the gravel and 26"!
24" Koxx, Duro (gathering dust)
19" Trials Impact Athmos
20" Qu-Ax Profi Freestyle, 89mm VCX (new Nov 2018)
MUCFreerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-14, 03:35 AM   #55
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

Hear Hear!

(raises coconut water)
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-14, 07:19 AM   #56
pierrox
Unicyclist

Congrats!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-14, 07:41 PM   #57
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

That is wonderful! Congratulations! And all told, the time you spent to get to that point seems very reasonable.
Old 2018-09-15, 03:10 AM   #58
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerstackmac View Post
Thank you all for your help in getting me to this stage.
We couldn't have done it without you.
Old 2018-09-20, 05:38 AM   #59
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Free mounting ainít free

Howdy all. Itís been seven days since I completed my first free mount. I was so excited to get at it the next day. Well the next day I got five free mounts during my one hour of practice which is split into two half hour sessions, not bad for my second day. By the end of the half hour sessions I am pretty tired and soaked with sweat. I should be only going for fifteen minutes because once youíre tired things get sloppy and inefficient. Having said that, itís usually around the time I know I should quit when I get a free mount or a real close one and just canít give it up. The day after that I got one fm, then the following days I would get one or two fms. I had videos taken to see what I could be doing wrong. There is lots Iím doing wrong to be sure. Of course being new to this I kept changing things and watching videos. Iíve been around the clock with the pedals. Get on slow, get on fast, hold onto the seat or donít. Lean into it, lean into it too much. Donít step up high enough, miss the pedal etc. It doesnít matter which way you hold your tongue out either. and Iím pretty sure Unimyra is using magic. There was just no joy in Mudville. I do get a ton of almost did itís. Anyhow, tonight I had a lot of failures and closeies too. With twenty minutes left to practice I set the left rear pedal at 7 oíclock and the right at 1 oíclock, I stepped up and got one of my surprise free mounts. I kept trying to do everything the same for the remainder of my session and got another eight free mounts for my efforts. So I do think I am finally getting somewhere with the free mounting. I have been working on this fm for eight hours with very little actual riding. I know it really isnít a lot of time, but it is a lot of attempts and energy. You can do an awful lot of attempts in half an hour. Iíll let you know in a couple of days if I was lucky or if Iím actually catching on. Iím looking forward to tomorrowís practice.
Still enthusiastic,
Cheers
Old 2018-09-20, 06:53 AM   #60
Agape
Beginner and Hooked!

G'day! Good to hear of your progress. Keep enjoying it, it is a great challenge and very rewarding learning something new. When I was learning how to free mount I found it really frustrating, in fact I got to the point of just not worrying about it and being happy to use anything available to help me mount - trees, poles, people etc... As I gained confidence with my general riding and improved overall skills I then went back to trying to free mount but never spent ages at it. I would only spend a few minutes at a time giving it a go, and then just ride. I found that worked for me - I eventually got it and I think the whole learning process for me was more enjoyable that way. You'll find that as you progress with balance and control you will be able to apply just the right amount of pressure to your back pedal so that the unicycle remains stationary (static) as you mount - it took me quite some time to get to that point. Keep having fun. Enjoy the process of learning the fine control required. =)
27.5" MAD4ONE Muni
Agape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gravel, learning, ride