Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2009-02-23, 09:45 PM   #31
AccordNSX
Adam Coast Choppers

Send a message via AIM to AccordNSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoround View Post
Sounds like you guys had some fun. Wish I could of been there!
Could anyone tell me of some good Muni trails up around North Florida?
What part of Florida are you in? Santos has some AMAZING trails.

www.omba.org
Old 2009-02-23, 09:52 PM   #32
Michaelgoround
John 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordNSX View Post
What part of Florida are you in? Santos has some AMAZING trails.

www.omba.org
I live in Panama City and am willing to travel 3 or 4 hours for a good ride.
Michaelgoround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 10:27 PM   #33
MuniSano
Hartman Rocks, Uncompahgre beyond..

I'm telling you guys if you're willing to drive as far "north" as Oak Mountain State Park in Birmingham, Alabama. You won't be dissappointed. There is an "almost" IMBA Epic trail there. The Double Oak Mountain Trail is ~17 1/2 miles of single track bliss; one continuous loop that varies in difficulty. I love it; I've done this loop several times and once did it twice back to back for ~35-36 miles all told in ~6 hours on my KH24 w/ 150mm cranks. So if you're into a longer muni epic this is a pretty good spot. It can be done on a 29er as well, possibly a 36er though some stretches wouldn't be as fun. Cheers. Drop me a line if you get a hankering to head up "north."
Old 2009-02-23, 10:35 PM   #34
steveyo
...feeding the machine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordNSX View Post
I enjoyed myself and the fancy dinner afterward was a nice touch. I just wish I would have remembered my bike shorts!
But at least we were extra safe. Thanks again for the great ride, you guys!

- a few uni race write-ups
- muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers

Last edited by steveyo; 2009-02-23 at 10:36 PM.
steveyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 10:43 PM   #35
AccordNSX
Adam Coast Choppers

Send a message via AIM to AccordNSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyo View Post
But at least we were extra safe. Thanks again for the great ride, you guys!
Glad you could make it down. Safety first, not last! Great lesson learned.
Old 2009-02-23, 11:53 PM   #36
Unicyko
picture frames

when are you going to show pictures?
Old 2009-02-24, 12:02 AM   #37
billnye
Junior Mint

Send a message via ICQ to billnye Send a message via AIM to billnye Send a message via Yahoo to billnye
I want to thank everyone that was able to make it out to the meet-up for making it a great afternoon. It was a blast getting to ride with you all, and to ride with you all AT ONCE :)

Some of the hilights for me, just to list a few of many:
  • Steve bravely following (and also leading ME down) some of the gnarliest bits of trail we crossed... clean or UPD it was always impressive
  • Ed cruising up and over (and back down the other side) of some stuff on that no-brakes KH29 that I didn't expect
  • A glorious farewel-come back ride with the legendary Adam "Airbourne" Bourne
  • Adam and Steven managing to squeeze in a 2-mile speed loop on demo bikes in between the other riding we all did
  • Steven trooping bravely along through some stuff that might've pushed the envelope a little... keep on keepin' on, big guy :) it's great watching you steadily improve
  • Heck, it's been gratifying watching ALL of you improve... I feel like some sort of proud unicycle papa, even if I am younger than most of youse ;P
  • Jason getting so sick of grilling, by the end of lunch, that he didn't even cook himself a hamburger when it was all said and done (thanks again)
  • ...and Carol, Mrs. Come-back-from-a-broken-arm-UPD, taking the opportunity to practice (what was it...) 250+ freemounts while we were gone?!
We definitely have to do it again some time soon, and maybe it'll work out better for some of you stragglers who weren't able to make this one :D

MuniSano, thanks again for the invite... if I'm passing through that way, I'll definitely try to meet up.

thanks again for a great ride with a great bunch of people.

billnye
John M
billnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 01:56 AM   #38
Wheel Riding
Unicyclist

John, you're the man, thanks for organizing the Florida Muni Fest. I hope we can all get together and do it again sometime (sooner than later). Carol and I had a great time. It was well worth the trip to ride with everyone. The good pointers everyone gave her yesterday resulted in her doing 10 repetitions of 30 feet today.

Michaelgoround, http://www.mtbr.com/ is a great website of mountain bike (and muni) trail reviews in the country. In Florida the closest MTB park I know of for you is Tallahassee's Tom Brown Park.
Wheel Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 02:22 AM   #39
billnye
Junior Mint

Send a message via ICQ to billnye Send a message via AIM to billnye Send a message via Yahoo to billnye
Steven: I couldn't have organized it alone, and it wouldn't have been very special ride if I was the only one who showed up, now would it ;D

billnye
John M
Old 2009-02-24, 03:13 AM   #40
frogy130
Municyclest On Board

John, thanks for setting this First (Occasional) Florida mUni Meetup up, I had a great time riding with you all.
Here are the group pics I have. from left to right Carol, Ed, Jason, Steve (south), Steve (North), Adam, and papa John.

Unfortionitly I did not get any video, new camera to me and I left the remote at have it showed that it was recording but it was in loop mode and did not record anything as I did not tag anything. Live and learn, We will just have to do another one soon so I can get some video.

Jason did any of the video you shoot come out?

Eddie

Last edited by frogy130; 2009-02-24 at 03:18 AM.
frogy130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 12:57 AM   #41
BrianP
Unicyclist

Send a message via Skype™ to BrianP
I am a few minutes form Santos Trail here in Ocala and I would love to ride with anyone nearby. I am still learning but I should be ready by the next meet. I have mountain biked there a million times and I can't wait to try it on the Muni.

BrianP
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 08:38 PM   #42
billnye
Junior Mint

Brian:

Alafia has a lovely "middle of everything" trailhead and restrooms etc. but otherwise Santos seems like it's just as nice for the has-a-trail-for-every-difficulty-level aspect. Once you get to the point of being able to ride and turn somewhat at will, it ought to be a great place to work your way up. Heck, you'd be surprised how much riding swoopy singletrack will FORCE you to learn to turn properly

I'll try to get in touch next time we're up Santos-ways, whether it's an official meetup or not.

...tough to keep track of this growing list. That's a nice problem to have

billnye
John M
Old 2009-02-28, 02:13 AM   #43
BrianP
Unicyclist

Send a message via Skype™ to BrianP
If you are ever going to be at alafai (sp?) Sun-Tues let me know. I get down that way a lot and would love to try my hand at it. I can turn ok now and have been riding all around our town square and I can turn around signs and corners now and freemount so I just need to get some more stamina. I have been riding up some very slight grassy inclines around town OK and I am going to work on attacking curbs tomorrow. Thanks again and talk to you soon!

Brian
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-28, 06:42 AM   #44
billnye
Junior Mint

Well this weekend and next are on a bit of an odd schedule (next Sunday I might actually be up in your neck of the woods... I'll keep you posted) but Sundays are the typical day for at least Jason(, his family) and I to ride at Alafia, usually hitting the trails 11:30-noonish somewhere.

Drop me a message any time you're heading down on the weekend and I'm sure we can try to arrange something.

The endurance is both something that you'll train as you ride, and something you'll need less of as you improve. Being off balance, no matter what the cause or terrain, takes twice as much energy as riding in control it seems. I know when I first started out it was a lung-busting flailfest just to cross the parking lot, but now if I'm riding on smooth pavement even at a brisk medium pace I hardly get to breathing heavy.

pant pant,
billnye
John M
Old 2009-02-28, 07:05 AM   #45
univexXX91
fight for life to live alot

i so wish i could of made the ride but glad it was fun you guys should try to get together a new ride sometime in the future maybe a trials run natural or urban lol take care everyone
Take a look at these cool UNICYCLE clothes
univexXX91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, floridaverse, meetup, muni