Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-05-29, 07:59 PM   #46
vanpaun
Unicyclist

agentq, you are a vegetarian. over my almost 4 years as a vegetarian, there have been mistakes made at restaurants. so I have by accibent eaten meat, and pisceo vegetarians are vegetarians.
vanpaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 10:10 PM   #47
unicycledood
Rolling or nothing.

Location: New Zealand Carbonated Beverage: Coke Cartoonist: David Firth etc Style: Ling/Bane/Muta Favourite Unit: Broodlord
Send a message via MSN to unicycledood
I agree with you Sam. The meat industries are disgusting...

If I were starving and if it was either my life or their's, then yes I would eat an animal. But to me, it would feel like canabilisum.

Ya'reeeee
unicycledood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 10:12 PM   #48
unicycledood
Rolling or nothing.

Location: New Zealand Carbonated Beverage: Coke Cartoonist: David Firth etc Style: Ling/Bane/Muta Favourite Unit: Broodlord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy
As a vegetarian for my entire life (since birth, parents are vegetarian too), I can tell you that meat substitutes are not for fake vegetarians or people who are having trouble adjusting. Meat substitutes are for protein and if they were shaped any different, you'd probably never want to touch as it didn't even look like food.

Some people don't like them (whether it's your case about not liking the shape or just flavor in general) while some people do and make sure they are in their diet.
Sorry man, I hope I didn't offend you.

And wow! A Texas vegetarian???? From what I've heard about Texas, that must be freaking hard.

Ya'reeeee
Old 2008-05-29, 10:55 PM   #49
Goats_On_Unicycles
Nice kids don't drop acid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueakyOnion
People like you make me want to not even ever try to be veg or vegan.

I have a friend who has been veg for at least 6 years. Last I checked, she still ate fish. Her reasoning is that red meat animals are cooped up their whole lives, stuffed in small overcrowded cages and whatnot. They walk around in their own excrement and trample/peck each other.

Fish on the other hand, live freely, swimming in the ocean. Their lives abruptly end when they are caught. The difference, in her eyes, lies in the treatment of the animal BEFORE it is killed to be eaten.

I've toyed with the idea of not eating meat, but I think what it really comes down to is that meat is an inexpensive form of nutrition. Although its true that our bodies do no require meat and that an overconsumption can have negative health effects, meat eaten in moderation has positive health benefits.
I'm all for free-range. I still don't aprove of killing animals but I think it's better than farms.
however there are farms for fish as well and they're just as bad as factory farms for other animals.
Also over-fishing is a HUGE problem for our planet.

If my government ever decides to blow me up, I hope they will choose to do it in a humane way also.

~johnfoss

hinunggbinu!!!

~JJtheunicycle
Goats_On_Unicycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 11:00 PM   #50
Goats_On_Unicycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicycledood

And wow! A Texas vegetarian???? From what I've heard about Texas, that must be freaking hard.
Texas is just as easy as any other state... Lol.

And Leah's a girl.

If my government ever decides to blow me up, I hope they will choose to do it in a humane way also.

~johnfoss

hinunggbinu!!!

~JJtheunicycle
Old 2008-05-29, 11:54 PM   #51
monkeyman
+dan's amulet of bling blingin'

Send a message via AIM to monkeyman Send a message via MSN to monkeyman
Quote:
No, you get rather attached to the horses you ride to school (which just teaches you how to care for cows), so it's really not that hard to stay away from meat.

Instead, we eat Democrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo_chuck
Do not underestimate the giant yellow H-bomb in the sky!!

Last edited by monkeyman; 2008-05-29 at 11:54 PM.
monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-30, 12:15 AM   #52
unicycledood
Rolling or nothing.

Lol sorry Leah.

Interesting to hear about texas. I heard they have a steak house for every 2 buildings over there :P

(slight over exaduration)

Ya'reeeee

Last edited by unicycledood; 2008-05-30 at 12:16 AM.
Old 2008-05-30, 12:17 AM   #53
monkeyman
+dan's amulet of bling blingin'

Send a message via AIM to monkeyman Send a message via MSN to monkeyman
Quote:
Interesting to hear about texas. I heard they have a steak house for every 2 buildings over there :P
Yay fractions?

The sad thing is, I don't know how serious you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo_chuck
Do not underestimate the giant yellow H-bomb in the sky!!
monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-30, 12:28 AM   #54
unicycledood
Rolling or nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman
Yay fractions?

The sad thing is, I don't know how serious you are.
I've never been serious in my life.

No I wasn't serious. Its just that I don't know any Texans, but I've heard theres a shit load of meat over there.

This is crazy, I had no idea there were so many vegetarians on these forums.

Ya'reeeee
Old 2008-05-30, 12:40 AM   #55
SqueakyOnion
likes to debate things :D

Send a message via AIM to SqueakyOnion
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniBrier
Right, how many other animals do you pierce with a sharp hook, make them struggle to exhaustion, then suffocate them to death before you eat them?
Most fish are caught in nets. No hooks. Same with crab, for that matter. However, if I were to spend a week or two camping, I would have no qualms with catching a few fish for dinner. I could even make it quick for them, and use dynamite

I am not, and probably will not ever be opposed to catching/slaughtering animals for food. I do believe in not abusing or torturing animals during their life, but it is our natural place in the food chain to eat them. It's true that we don't need to eat meat, but meat is a good, relatively cheap source of nutrition. Additionally, we should eat them as part of a BALANCED diet, not cramming a whole t-bone steak down our throats in one sitting. A balanced diet includes a lot more veggies and grains than meat.

Meat is largely a cultural thing in the states and in the UK. As a culture(s), we eat far more meat than is necessary.

Regarding the meat industry:

The book Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser goes into an in-depth study and discussion of the modern meat industry. This book almost made me become vegetarian, not for the sake of the animals, but out of outrage against the meat industry, the way it treats the animals but more the way it treats and takes advantage of its employees.

Then, I realized that most of the products I consume, be it food, clothes, music, toys, health products, etc., are made by companies that exploit workers. The fact of the matter is, I can't know what products I buy were created using exploitation, and thus to "play on the safe side," I would have to stop consuming them all, which is next to impossible.* I couldn't, in good conscience, pick and choose which industry I didn't want to buy exploited goods from. All or nothing.

Instead, I've adopted a philosophy of simple living. My goal is to, in general, CONSUME LESS than most people in this country. Buy food in bulk, buy locally grown stuff, and only buy stuff I really need. When I really started thinking about it, I was amazed at how many of my "NEEDS" were actually "WANTS" manufactured and then distributed to my mind through advertising and societal expectations (largely via parental units). My goal for the end of this summer is to be able to fit all of my possessions into my 2-door Pontiac, and make sure this stays the case. Eventually, I'd like to be car-free, once I have a long-term job. If I buy something new, I get rid of (donate/sell/freecycle) something to make room.

* Unless I become a hitchhiker, or a trail hippie who lives on the Appalacian Trail. Who needs showers or deodorant, right?

Live with intention. Walk to the edge.

Last edited by SqueakyOnion; 2008-05-30 at 12:46 AM.
SqueakyOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-30, 12:48 AM   #56
yoopers
Unicyclist

Send a message via Yahoo to yoopers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueakyOnion
My goal for the end of this summer is to be able to fit all of my possessions into my 2-door Pontiac
I wish I could have adopted that philosophy when we first moved into our house over 18 years ago. Now I never want to move because I'm afraid to see what has accumulated in and populated the crawlspace under the house. If my garage is any indication, I'm in big trouble.
()_) ()_)----)_)

Munipsycho on the art of raising children: "My job is not to keep them from falling. It's to teach them to always get back up."

Always give lots of credit and take very little. Seems to make everyone happier. Conversely, take as much responsibility for mistakes as one can assume! - Dr. Bobo

unicycledude93: Steve Dekeokeok
unicycledude93: Yoopers
Byrnetown: haha, those are old guys
yoopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-30, 01:00 AM   #57
uniextreme
Funkadelic Unicyclist

Send a message via AIM to uniextreme Send a message via Yahoo to uniextreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by uni57

Given that*...

- it's probably not the diet you started out with
- it's an extreme diet (eliminating an entire food group)
- there are concerns about getting enough of certain nutrients

... why did you switch to vegetarianism?

... how much research did you do before switching?

... do you feel better on this diet? Or the same?

... do you ever miss meat (like bacon)? I know I would.

* - ).
It appears this is slowly turning into yet another debate thread.
But to get back on track...

First off I don't think cutting off meat and dairy out of my diet is extreme at all. In fact it's quite rational, why would I ever want to eat meat, dairy or eggs and support the torturous commodification of animals when there is another way! I realized the only justification there was to eating meat was, "mm its too good to give up" when I broke it down and realized that my own selfishness led to the slaughter of living beings that felt pain, I just couldn't do it anymore. So I went vegetarian then eventually went vegan.

Do I ever miss the sizzling corpse of a pig? Not so much although I didn at first.

Did I do research? And then some.

Do I feel better? Not really because it seems like the only logical option to me.

And to the other guy about Peta=Nazis? Hmm not quite sure what you mean by this, often times PETA gets attaches to the animal liberation front or other groups that try to take town vivisectors with violence. Although I have qualms with PETA and what they are doing wrong, they aren't the same group as the ALF.
Old 2008-05-30, 01:22 AM   #58
Buddy
Registered User OF CANDY!!!

Send a message via AIM to Buddy Send a message via MSN to Buddy Send a message via Yahoo to Buddy
Quote:

Not offended, just trying to set the record straight. (Or at least my opinion of the record..)

I live in Austin which is hometown of Whole Foods. It's ridiculously easy.

Quote:
Lol sorry Leah.

(slight over exaduration)
It's all good.

If that's true...I'm not aware of it. Not sure I'd pay attention either way. :P

How I miss my old account...

Last edited by Buddy; 2008-05-30 at 01:24 AM.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-30, 01:27 AM   #59
peleschramm
Team Spencer second in command

Send a message via MSN to peleschramm
I wish I had the strength to also become a vegetarian. The only problem is, I hate most fruits and veggies and fake meat is disgusting. I can't do without it.

But this is the Vegetarian appreciation thread isn't it? So I appreciate all you Vegetarians.

Inventor of the Slapflip.
peleschramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-30, 02:05 AM   #60
Goats_On_Unicycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by peleschramm
I wish I had the strength to also become a vegetarian. The only problem is, I hate most fruits and veggies and fake meat is disgusting. I can't do without it.
Pele, the next time I see you, we're going to a pizza place and we're going to order a bunch of extra cheesey, rediculously unhealthy and insanely delicious pizzas.
Pie is good too.
I'm eating rhubarb pie right now.

~johnfoss

hinunggbinu!!!

~JJtheunicycle

Last edited by Goats_On_Unicycles; 2008-05-30 at 02:06 AM.

Tags
appreciation, banmaestro, maestro8mustbebanned, maestromustbebanned, moaning, thread, unibikeling_asshole, vegetarian, veggiesupremacy, vegs'against'maestro'09!, wurst