Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2007-11-28, 04:35 PM   #16
manicpanicmuni
Nation of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamessd
I never contested anything sponge said, I was just trying to debate the fact that some other people have had slightly different experiences with the CC tyre.
most ppl who use the cc tyre have only really used that tyre and the luna. So their opinions are very limited and they normally dont have as much experience in such things as the experts in the topic. its like me saying that a certain cuisine is amazing and flawless when i havent even tried that many other cuisines to compare and come up with a fair evaluation.

also i think sponge is being very explicit in his reviews, they are so damn strict but thats good because it cuts the crap and gives you the real lowdown. some people hold a high opinion of the cc maybe because they arent perfectionists or take much notice.
manicpanicmuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 04:37 PM   #17
Jim_The_IT_Technician
NUTTAH BLUD

Woooooohooooo Go James!
Old 2007-11-28, 04:39 PM   #18
jamessd
Recreational unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to jamessd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_The_IT_Technician
Woooooohooooo Go James!
Umm who on earth is that?

and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicpanicmuni
I agree. But my point about the CC was that Jerrick has had no problems with it shaved/worn down.

Okay, it's not my first hand evidence to dish out, i'm just throwing it in the works...

Last edited by jamessd; 2007-11-28 at 04:43 PM.
jamessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 04:41 PM   #19
Spoonthumb
i hate this *****

Quote:
I agree. But my point about the CC was that Jerrick has had no problems with it shaved.

Okay, it's not my first hand evidence to dish out, i'm just throwing it in the works...
EXCEPT JERRICKS TIRE IS NOT SHAVED
Old 2007-11-28, 05:23 PM   #20
thejdw
elcycinu

Guys to to put this across; you do need to learn to listen to other people opinion and advice. The good thing with advice is you can always ignor it.
Old 2007-11-28, 05:50 PM   #21
brendan
Unicycling = trials

@ jamessd - how many 19" trials tyres have you ridden in that list? how many have you owned?

i agree with sponge on the CC build quality compared to trial is poor. that doesnt make it a bad tyre, but seeing threads come out of the sidewalls doesnt inspire confidence.

anwyays its a good list, i'd agree with most of it (although i've only tried the eagle claw a few times never owned it and never ridden a whitewalled monty.)

thing i'd say though is that the tryall wears quicker than an echo 08, but that doesnt really matter that much.
Old 2007-11-28, 05:54 PM   #22
jamessd
Recreational unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan
@ jamessd - how many 19" trials tyres have you ridden in that list? how many have you owned?
Well I've ridden the CC, Try-all, Echo and Luna. I own the try-all, CC and echo.
Old 2007-11-28, 05:54 PM   #23
Borgschulze
2 Wheel Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Borgschulze
My CC, you can see the threads through the sidewall, and EVERYWHERE on the tire that has an angle, it has cracks... not sure if this is from salt in the winter, or just how the tire is...

My friend with a Luna, his tire is more than 2 years old and it looks new still. Neither of us ride regularly or even a lot... well I ride to school everyday, which is about 1.5km there and back.

I have been considering a Try-All tire for a while, I hated the Maxxis ever since I did my first gap and it folded way over and then when it unfolded shot me off the ledge... I can't ride high pressure on the Unicycle, I like the bounce the tire gives me, I hate that stiff feeling. On a bike though, I ride my tires all at their maximum rated air pressure, and I haven't had a flat in over 3-4 years of riding, one flat a couple months ago due to an OLD tube, valve stem ripped off, but that doesn't count, mainly because I was putting a valve cap on when it happened and it wasn't even tight yet, it was a thorn resistant tube.

Question about the tire with the stripe (Onza): In the pictures I have seen, it seems to be wide... but the profile of the tire seems to be much lower than any other trials tire, what are the facts on this?

Last edited by Borgschulze; 2007-11-28 at 05:56 PM.
Borgschulze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 05:56 PM   #24
agentQ
Sam Haber

Send a message via AIM to agentQ Send a message via MSN to agentQ
I personaly I have ridden a CC, Try All, and Luna. The Info sponge posted is Right on. Everything about wear, sidewall thickness, hardness to softness, its all on cue. Great stuff here for anyone thinking of buying a tire soon, or wondering how another option compaires to their current setup.

Something I think is neat:
The Tryall (which is apperently in the tops for grip), is also a great tire to shave. This shows what Sponge is saying about the high level of construction. Its has an awesome grip shape and compound, ontop of a nicely shapped tire with thick sidewall, all while keeping weight down. Now the price on these makes a bit of sence, huh?.

...........................................................also:
Quote:
I agree. But my point about the CC was that Jerrick has had no problems with it

Dude, Jerrick has weird opinions on all sorts of things. Just beacuse he wore down a CC and still chooses to ride it, doesnt change the factual information Sponge posted. Please do everyon on here a favor and STOP POSTING your conversation here. You added your opinion, as second handed as it may be. I think we get what you are trying to say.

Whats up with Street and Flat?
the Unicycle Lab
agentQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 06:33 PM   #25
Sponge
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan

thing i'd say though is that the tryall wears quicker than an echo 08, but that doesnt really matter that much.
Hmm, that's rather weird. I've got a 1.5 year old Try-All tyre here that still has a fair bit of tread in places, mind this tyre was used by Joe originally and then given to me. At the same time, I've known many biketrials riders to have kept a Try-All for almost if not a complete year. The Echo actually wears out surprisingly quickly we found. However, the Echo and Try-All are from two different worlds almost... one is totally urban suited and the other is more natural suited. But yeah, as I say, don't take my word as the word of God. I've just made reviews of all the current tyres on the market based on my past knowledge and experience doing biketrials and uni trials, Joe's experiences with all these tyres, and the opinions of the biketrials community as a whole.

I'd say for purely trials... the Try-All and Monty Eagle Claw are the ones you'd want seeing as their grip slaughter the hard compound tyres, yet their treads last ages. At a high enough level, you can really appreciate the subtle qualities of the Try-All, I was truly shocked to see how the Try-All just hung onto a wet round rail only by its side treads and sidewall.. something which squareblock-tread tyres aren't as good at.

Tyres like the Echo and Luna lean more towards riders who want less rolling resistance and 'dragging feeling' whilst cycling.. i.e. for street riders.

But whatever, I don't want people arguing and bickering about this. Just accept the reviews or ignore them. Doesn't bother me either way, I just like to help, in this case sharing my experience and some knowledge taken from two different trials sports.
Sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 07:39 PM   #26
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Thanks Sponge, it is good to see all that info in one place by someone who actually knows what they are talking about. I have ridden CC and Luna, your review on CC was bang on, and well, nobody can argue with your review for the Luna. I personally prefer the feel of the Luna and they are way cheeper here.

I have a Question for other cold weather riders: Has anybody done much riding in the winter with anything other than a CC or Luna? And what are your findings?

I have found that the Luna stands up to the winter conditions like a champ but does not expel snow very well. I have mostly been using a studded Luna for winter trials and haven't noticed ANY appreciable wear other than on the studs.

The CC seems not to snowball as much but seems to wear even faster in the winter than it does in the summer, I have no idea why. It also gets deep cracks all the way to the casing in the tread, not to mention the side-walls seem to show threads in no time. The cracks in the tread and the visible threads on the side-walls look ugly but don't seem to effect performance.
Old 2007-11-28, 08:04 PM   #27
Borgschulze
2 Wheel Traitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian
The CC seems not to snowball as much but seems to wear even faster in the winter than it does in the summer, I have no idea why. It also gets deep cracks all the way to the casing in the tread, not to mention the side-walls seem to show threads in no time. The cracks in the tread and the visible threads on the side-walls look ugly but don't seem to effect performance.
I've been riding this tire since December 2006.

Old 2007-11-28, 08:41 PM   #28
ntappin
Ask me about the Ottawa unicyclists

Send a message via MSN to ntappin
Quote:
Seriously, why all the name dropping??
probably because he is getting alot of info from Joe. Plus it helps us know that he is getting this info from someone who actualy has tried these products, which although not the best kind of info, is still a hell of alot better than the third or fourth hand info you tend to get on these forums on these subjects.
ntappin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 09:11 PM   #29
Borgschulze
2 Wheel Traitor

He also rides with Joe if I'm not mistaken.
Old 2007-11-28, 09:13 PM   #30
jamessd
Recreational unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgschulze
He also rides with Joe if I'm not mistaken.
Okay, I get the point! - and I knew that anyway.

I said what I wanted to say, It wasn't meant to be offensive or anything, and now it's over.

Tags
the official 19, thread, trials, tyre