Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-05-05, 01:03 AM   #16
DavidHood
Raising my own riding partners

I'm resurrecting this old thread because this title is sure to get a few views. I'm thinking unicycle hockey might be the ticket to finally get my kids interested in riding a unicycle. We've been borrowing sticks and joining (on foot) a neighborhood kids street hockey games on the cul de sac. I can see it now. Dad swoops behind (there is room just as in ice hockey) the net for the one timer pass, shoots, and scores! Perhaps that will impress them. Goodness knows nothing else I do does.

As many of you know, the whole reason I got back into unicycles after a 20 year hiatus was to spend more time outside with my son 7 and my daughter 8 but got bit by the distance bug, got a Silva Cycles 36" KrisHolm/Schlumpf GUni, and was gone!

A couple of years down the road, I got into MUni. Practicing on my 26er kept me a little closer to home building a BMX arena in my back yard. But again, the call of the wild beacons and I end up riding the sweet single-track in our parks where my kids are still to young (though she can ride the heck out of a b*ke) to join.

I've bought them 12", 16", and finally a 20" unicycles spending countless hours on the court holding hands (tip: they don't really "get it" until 20") and being patient. Her record was 10 revolutions. I have repurposed her Club 20" Freestyle Unicycle with Nimbus Venture pedals (use SpeedPlay Drilliums on my Oracle) on the 114mm cotterless (taking bets on how long before my 165lbs breaks them) cranks.

Old 2012-05-05, 04:18 AM   #17
MulgoaMUni
Unicyclist

Damn, that title got me excited
MulgoaMUni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 10:39 AM   #18
Fatlazypig
Unicyclist

I think uni hockey may well be the ticket to inspiring your kids to uni
Such a shame I don't think it will ever make the Olympics

It was what re inspired me to get back into unicycling after close to 20 years away. And now I'm borderline obsessed

Does get me thinking though there are some pretty out there sports in some of the multiple country games, the east Asian games not so long ago had ballroom dancing and cue sports (billiards)

I know it's about more than this but a unihockey tournament has got to be more interesting to watch than ballroom dancing?

Dreams yes I know. But would be pretty cool
Fatlazypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 11:49 PM   #19
muni123
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bruiser View Post
that time is not right. I know someone who can do it in 12 sec. He went to the world championship of Rubik's cube. lol
the world record for solving a Rubik's cube is like 5.66 seconds
muni123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, hockey, olympics, unicycle