Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-06-19, 02:46 AM   #31
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
His learning techniques are exactly what I have seen and encouraged in my rapid learners.
We don't know that he hasn't been reading here on the forums, and picking up on OneTrack's techniques...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
His seat was low enough for him to be able to mount in this position.
Also he figured out really fast that he wanted the seat to be higher.

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-23, 05:02 AM   #32
slamdance
Unicyclist

Gotta Support Onetrack on this

A beginner should be focusing on riding with maximum "control/balance". That can only mean more weight on the pedal and less on the seat. Not the other way around.

The physics is simple. If you have weight across your pedals, it's like a ballast that maintains vertical torque from both sides. (How does an ultimate wheel stay up, Right?). Think of walking across a tight rope with your hands tied. You need them, right? Next time you ride over grass or roll down a curb, how do you keep from falling? Full weight on seat, or more pedal weight? Have you ever ridden over a speed bump with all your weight seated? Yup, you know what happenned!! So, why tell beginners to do that? He/she will figure out the fully weighted thing naturally as they get better.

Anyways, this is my humble opinion. Also, regarding the statement who's a better teacher the guy who could do it in 2 hrs, or the guy who took 70 hrs(...tried everything, watched everything, read everything, and invented some new methods)? I think it's obvious, now.

Experts can teach experts(or high potentials). These "naturals/potentials" can watch an expert, and think "i can do that"...and then they do it. Just like that.
However, for Lousy beginners(like myself)we know a lot more tricks/methods from our fails to share with other "unnaturals" who are ready to give up after 15 hrs.., 100 or more hrs!!!

Peace...and keep on riding...all

Last edited by slamdance; 2019-06-23 at 05:19 AM. Reason: ...
slamdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-23, 08:28 AM   #33
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Well, I'll move this discussion on (hopefully).

There's now unicycle school on:
Getting Comfortable on Your Unicycle

180° Twists

180° Unispins

Crankflips

While the editing is a little bit ADD friendly for me, I like the concept of the "homework": Little things to practice, that most people won't need an extra tutorial for.
Old 2019-08-26, 03:28 PM   #34
Garp
aspiring flatlandist

Chris Huriwai's tutorials

In case he shared his intentions elsewhere, does anyone know what the deal is with his Uniquest series?
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-26, 03:54 PM   #35
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
Eli Brill demonstrates a free mount about 10 times in the introductory video. Every time, he remains holding onto the seat with his right hand. If I remember correctly, I learned to free mount throwing both hands in the air for balance. I'm curious how many riders, when they were just beginning, held the seat during the entire mount.
elpuebloUNIdo, I just looked at a bunch of videos and pictures I had taken while I was trying to learn how to free mount. I mount left foot forward, in all the vids and pics, I am holding the saddle with my left hand. Once up, I let go and flapped both arms for the entire flight.
lowerstackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-27, 01:31 PM   #36
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerstackmac View Post
elpuebloUNIdo, I just looked at a bunch of videos and pictures I had taken while I was trying to learn how to free mount. I mount left foot forward, in all the vids and pics, I am holding the saddle with my left hand. Once up, I let go and flapped both arms for the entire flight.
I should have clarified that I think holding the saddle while mounting is a good thing. Details like this are important for beginners. If Brill attempted to cover every little detail of mounting, the video would take forever. Whether or not to hold the seat while mounting is, in my book, a biggie. While holding the seat may cause the number of successful mounts to drop, I think it helps to avoid ugly UPDs during mounting.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-28, 10:47 AM   #37
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnspin View Post
Well, I'll move this discussion on (hopefully).

There's now unicycle school on:

Crankflips
The Crank flip is a basic building block, yet yous write a massive accomplishment. Sounds a bit contradictory...
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-28, 10:57 AM   #38
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
The Crank flip is a basic building block, yet yous write a massive accomplishment. Sounds a bit contradictory...
One rider's building block is another rider's massive accomplishment. I don't see the problem with rider's valuing different skills differently.

Personally I don't see the point of crank flips. Others see them as an end in themselves.
Old 2019-08-28, 12:51 PM   #39
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
One rider's building block is another rider's massive accomplishment. I don't see the problem with rider's valuing different skills differently.

Personally I don't see the point of crank flips. Others see them as an end in themselves.
True. As I do my uni-rides, it becomes more and more clear what I find important for me. Mostly I just like to ride and where I ride off-road, it doesn't require me to do (rolling) hops, let alone crank flips. I consider myself too old for all those tricks and what I can do on unicycles gives me enough joy as it is.

I do like the concept of all the different skills together like in the video.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-28, 12:53 PM   #40
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
It's not. When you do your first crankflip, you have opened a completely new category of tricks for yourself: Fliptricks. That's a great accomplishment, as that's a completely new thing, unlike any other tricks you have done. But a crankflip is just the beginning of fliptricks, once you get one, there is many more to get, that all build on the crankflip, so it's also a building block to hickflips, treyflips, doubleflips, lateflips...

Just like learning to ride is a massive accomplishment, but also just the very first building block to any other unicycle skill.
Quote:
They are so much fun. Very few tricks beat the feeling of a nice, early caught flip down some stairs for me. Unfortunately, they are not a good show trick, to the untrained eyes, a treydouble and a 360° unispin are the same..
Old 2019-09-01, 10:10 PM   #41
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnspin View Post
It's not. When you do your first crankflip, you have opened a completely new category of tricks for yourself: Fliptricks. That's a great accomplishment, as that's a completely new thing, unlike any other tricks you have done. But a crankflip is just the beginning of fliptricks, once you get one, there is many more to get, that all build on the crankflip, so it's also a building block to hickflips, treyflips, doubleflips, lateflips...

Just like learning to ride is a massive accomplishment, but also just the very first building block to any other unicycle skill.

They are so much fun. Very few tricks beat the feeling of a nice, early caught flip down some stairs for me. Unfortunately, they are not a good show trick, to the untrained eyes, a treydouble and a 360° unispin are the same..
Most general public are more impressed when you hop up a curb than when you do a crank flip. It is very sad.
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-02, 03:23 AM   #42
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoclean View Post
Most general public are more impressed when you hop up a curb than when you do a crank flip. It is very sad.
THat's just the reality of audiences vs. difficult skills that aren't widely known. Sports that get lots of coverage, like TV, lots of spectators, etc. are better understood by the general public so they are better at identifying what's hard. Unicycling? Not so much. Same for most obscure skills. So what you do in a unicycle competition is necessarily different from what you would do to entertain an audience.

It's not that you can't do the hard stuff; you just have to understand that the audience is going to appreciate a Kick-Up mount because it looks crazy hard, and pretty much ignore any amount of coasting, because that's something they can do on their bikes. So you learn what's visually entertaining and build your performance around that. I always used to include tricks that the audience didn't necessarily appreciate, but they were incorporated into the 3 min. Freestyle performance I used to use in all of my shows.

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-10, 05:01 PM   #43
Garp
aspiring flatlandist

Chris Huriwai's tutorials

Uniquest's third episode is out (and has been for two weeks).

Here I was, thinking he had given up. Bad me. Baaad.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, brill, chris, eli, huriwai, tutorials