Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-04-16, 01:06 PM   #16
Garp
aspiring flatlandist

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnspin View Post
I've seen enough people learn on Trials unicycles to not consider 140mm cranks that a big of an issue.
I'm learning on a trials uni (19" rim with a Maxxis Creepy Crawler, 138mm cranks).
After a bit of fiddling with the height during the first week, I'm happy with it.
Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-16, 11:34 PM   #17
gradymaci
Unicyclist

The only difference i saw was a double seat post nut on the nimbus if i remember correctly..
gradymaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-17, 02:39 AM   #18
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradymaci View Post
The only difference i saw was a double seat post nut on the nimbus if i remember correctly..
If you're sharing the unicycle, you might see if UDC offers the option of a quick release for the seat post clamp.

If you zoom in on the bearing caps, there's a bit of a difference in the engineering of the bearing caps/bolts...between the two models (and other unicycles as well). I doubt the difference is significant performance-wise.

For crank length, I would suggest 138mm (so the unicycle will remain a proper trials unicycle), or maybe 125mm as a second choice (my first 20" had 125mm cranks), but I would avoid 114mm for a while. I bought some 114 Venture cranks, tried them for a short time but found them to be incompatible with my oafish, inelegant style of riding.

Full disclosure, I am a weight weenie! The Athmos weighs in at a chunk-o-rific 13lbs. I think I would notice that after riding my 10 lb Equinox. Like swinging a heavier tennis racket. The Nimbus II is only 11.5 lbs, closer to what I'm used to.

Learning on the very cheapest piece of junk is a kind of badge of honor. johnfoss has described the poor quality of his first unicycle in several posts. Kind of gives you serious street-credibility...learning on a POS...and then gives you the permission to pick whichever premium unicycle you want as a second unicycle. Right now, you're looking at middle-of-the-road unicycles (the Athmos and Nimbus II). Good quality but heavier / steel frames. It's possible that, when you and your son succeed in learning to ride, you'll be drooling over more updated stuff. Just a thought.

I would give the same advice to someone learning purchase and learn to play the guitar. Buy a cheap classical guitar made by a reputable company, learn to play, then decide what kind of "nice" guitar you want.

Good luck!
elpuebloUNIdo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-22, 11:26 AM   #19
gradymaci
Unicyclist

Well I decided on a Kris Holm 20 for me and the Impact Athmos for my son.Wainting on them to ship from Canada. Can't wait for the challenge to begin.. Thanks for all the imput..
gradymaci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
impact, newbiekh, post