Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-09-03, 09:31 PM   #16
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfelder View Post
......OTM and others, what do you think about a beginner holding onto the seat with one hand? Should I try not to do that, go for whatever feels natural at the time, or what?
I'd say what ever works for you. With a hand on the seat you have more control and can put more force on the pedals to maintain forward and back balance. However with a hand on the seat you do lose some control and ability to turn left and right to maintain balance in the sideways direction. The faster you go the more likely a hand on the saddle will help and when the going gets tough most experienced riders will keep one hand on the saddle so it is a useful thing to learn.
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-04, 06:59 AM   #17
pierrox
Unicyclist

Agreed, but I'd keep the hand on the saddle for later, except on mounting to make sure everyone is in place and confortable. You'll need both hands and arms to flap around at first. You can try to squeeze the saddle a bit between your thighs if you're worrying about the uni going in directions you don't want.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-05, 06:06 AM   #18
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Thanks guys.

Did mostly some step-over practice today, too busy for a long session. I was waiting for my new 20 to come in ... supposed to be by today, but it has been stuck with FedEx a couple hundred miles away for the least three days without moving. Welp, it didn't move today either. *sigh*

Now supposedly it's coming tomorrow.
Old 2018-09-05, 11:39 AM   #19
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfelder View Post
I was waiting for my new 20 to come in ... supposed to be by today, but it has been stuck with FedEx a couple hundred miles away for the least three days without moving. Welp, it didn't move today either. *sigh*.
I feel your pain.

I remember when my 36 went missing in transit. Two years waiting for a 36 to appear on Gumtree. It arrived right to my house but nobody was home so they took it away again even though they should have taken it to a designated local drop off shop. I rang the local drop off and was told that they knew nothing about even being the drop off point for the carrier company. They enquired and discovered they were indeed registered as the drop off but confirmed they hadn't received anything.

The carrier's tracking system didn't have a facility to continue after a delivery attempt and nobody knew where my uni was for two days.

I eventually managed to get past the carrier's robotic phone system and speak to someone who couldn't locate it either. I was pretty distressed by then. I mean it was a Triton - 36/29 Titanium frame, carbon fibre seat, 36 and 29 wheels, extra tyres, two sets of KH Spirit two-hole cranks, disks and Shimano Saint pedals. You just don't find that kind of rig for $1K very often.

They eventually called back to tell me they had found it and promised to call before they attempted delivery again. Fortunately my wife happened to arrive home just as they turned up again, without calling.

That is one carrier that I will never ever use again.

Last edited by OneTrackMind; 2018-09-05 at 11:42 AM.
OneTrackMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-05, 12:38 PM   #20
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

I believe the best way is to not hold on to anything and use both your arms for balance.

A couple of things I remember from the learning period: I mounted up against a wall and turned so the wall was behind me. In the begining I held on to the wall with both arms out to the side before taking off. After a while I discovered that if I held my hands behind me with just my fingers against the wall, I would be in better balance when I launced off.

I also discovered that if I pushed/let go of the wall and THEN started pedaling I would fail. I had to be ready to pedal the moment I let go. I remember pushing my front foot down on the pedal a little bit to build up tension i my leg muscles before I pushed off.

A general advice that might be helpful: Fail different. If you always fall to the left, try to deliberately fall to the right (and so on).

I remember thinking "this is the hardest thing I've ever tried to learn". The first period until you can ride 20 meters is the hardest and not all that fun. It takes a lot of perseverance, but when you get there the fun begins and you'll make progress all the time for the next years.

Last edited by UniMyra; 2018-09-05 at 12:39 PM.
UniMyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-05, 05:14 PM   #21
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
I feel your pain.

I remember when my 36 went missing in transit. Two years waiting for a 36 to appear on Gumtree. It arrived right to my house but nobody was home so they took it away again even though they should have taken it to a designated local drop off shop. I rang the local drop off and was told that they knew nothing about even being the drop off point for the carrier company. They enquired and discovered they were indeed registered as the drop off but confirmed they hadn't received anything.

The carrier's tracking system didn't have a facility to continue after a delivery attempt and nobody knew where my uni was for two days.

I eventually managed to get past the carrier's robotic phone system and speak to someone who couldn't locate it either. I was pretty distressed by then. I mean it was a Triton - 36/29 Titanium frame, carbon fibre seat, 36 and 29 wheels, extra tyres, two sets of KH Spirit two-hole cranks, disks and Shimano Saint pedals. You just don't find that kind of rig for $1K very often.

They eventually called back to tell me they had found it and promised to call before they attempted delivery again. Fortunately my wife happened to arrive home just as they turned up again, without calling.

That must have been nerve-wracking. Sounds like a great 36!

Our neighborhood was having a big problem with a cheap carrier for a while. Claiming they delivered stuff personally that they actually just left by the mailboxes, etc. Trying to deal with these folks can be tough and when its their word against yours, their word has layers of bureaucracy, purposeful know-nothingism, and the usual army of lawyers behind it.

At least this is Fed Ex, which is generally pretty reliable out here where I live now. When I used to live in L.A., they would do the same thing though.
Old 2018-09-05, 05:27 PM   #22
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniMyra View Post
I also discovered that if I pushed/let go of the wall and THEN started pedaling I would fail. I had to be ready to pedal the moment I let go. I remember pushing my front foot down on the pedal a little bit to build up tension i my leg muscles before I pushed off.
That's one of the things I'm going to try to keep in mind, thanks.

... and for the other feedback too.
Old 2018-09-05, 08:50 PM   #23
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
Names?
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-05, 09:16 PM   #24
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
Names?
The company was TNT.

I laughed when they lost millions in the WannaCry exploit last year as one of the worst affected companies in the world.
Old 2018-09-05, 09:26 PM   #25
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniMyra View Post
I remember thinking "this is the hardest thing I've ever tried to learn". The first period until you can ride 20 meters is the hardest and not all that fun. It takes a lot of perseverance, but when you get there the fun begins and you'll make progress all the time for the next years.
This might not be the hardest thing I've ever tried to learn, but it's definitely the hardest to start learning. With unicycles, it's not at all clear how it's even possible to improve. They're bewildering! How do you build on a foundation of ... nothing? Unicycles make it immediately clear to you that you're well -- even comically -- out of your depth.

But I can't deny that's part of the appeal. Hmm ... imagine being able to do something so bizarre!

Last edited by Dingfelder; 2018-09-05 at 09:27 PM.
Dingfelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-05, 09:43 PM   #26
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
Names?
Basically any courier company in Australia. They see B2B as their target market so can be pretty lazy when it comes to residential customers.

If I sound salty it's from years of getting "you weren't home so come collect from our depot" cards after not even bothering to ring the doorbell. I work from home, I'm always home when they claim I'm not. Sometimes I watch the driver stop, drop the card in the letterbox and drive off again. When I call the depot and tell them what happened they deny it

Sorry, rant over
Old 2018-09-06, 12:44 AM   #27
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post
Basically any courier company in Australia. They see B2B as their target market so can be pretty lazy when it comes to residential customers.

If I sound salty it's from years of getting "you weren't home so come collect from our depot" cards after not even bothering to ring the doorbell. I work from home, I'm always home when they claim I'm not. Sometimes I watch the driver stop, drop the card in the letterbox and drive off again. When I call the depot and tell them what happened they deny it

Sorry, rant over
Actually I've had the same thing happen with Fedex numerous times. Been home all day, within site of the door, TV and music OFF ... and they said they tried but got no response.

Uh ... no.
Old 2018-09-06, 01:59 AM   #28
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Dammit! Just called Fedex, delivery scheduled for Tuesday not here today (weds) but tomorrow! Five days now at Troutdale, Oregon, without moving. What the ... ?

This is really p*'ing me off.

Guess I'll go make myself useful otherwise, but I'm really excited now about trying this 20 and want it already!

Good opportunity to try these new pedals I got from my local bike shop, though. Cyclone I think is the brand? All plastic, still metal nubs on it (I'd rather just have flat). 20 bucks. Wasn't sure I wanted to buy it or not but they look decent and I want to support my local bike shop. Never know when I might benefit from their goodwill/being able to recognize me before considering saying "no."

Last edited by Dingfelder; 2018-09-06 at 02:01 AM.
Dingfelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-06, 07:22 AM   #29
Quax1974
Wobbly

There seem to be two main schools in unicycling: starting to ride along a support (fence, handrail, rope) vs starting unsupported (ride away from a pole or wall).
I tried a version of the latter to start, fell flat on my back on day three and then after recovery switched to handrail support.

With your history of falling backwards I think you might benefit from the support method. Not because you will learn faster (looking back I think I would have progressed faster without) but you will be more at ease. After my bad fall (out for two weeks and shaky as hell when re-starting) the support was what got me going again.

But even with the support there are some rules to keep in mind.
Don’t try to cycle with two hands on the support, first get the feel for sitting “upright” with just one hand slightly resting on the support
Don’t lean towards the support
Don’t “hold” the support (apart from when you’re mounting)
Let your hand slide over it, only grip it when you’re really falling
Try to get some yards in with your hand sliding over it, get used to the feeling / cadence of continuous revolutions
Gradually slide less and less, only tapping the support at times when you are close to losing balance
Over time try to postpone the tap, or keep your hand higher over the rail, forcing yourself to correct your balance unsupported.

And in reply to your other thread: Yes it is worth it.
The feeling of riding a unicycle cannot be compared to any other sensation.
And, depending on who you ask, you look cool / silly doing it.
Both of them are equally motivating because unicyclists are a special kind of people.

Edit:
And another thing: commit!
Put some pre-pressure on that front pedal, make a conscious effort to drop your body forward and start pedaling.

Last edited by Quax1974; 2018-09-06 at 07:27 AM.
Quax1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-06, 07:56 AM   #30
digger
...strugglin' IV balance...

I made my first turns with a person walking beside me as support.
in doing so you can start moving without losing your whatever to hold on.
works for me.

- aintnothintoitbuttodoit -
digger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dingfelder, progress, thread