Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-06-14, 03:24 PM   #106
TMason
Todd Mason

I received the new 36" Nightrider Lite in the mail yesterday so of course I had to immediately mount it on the unicycle and go for spin.

What I noticed was I guess to be expected:

-Easier to get the wheel turning initially.
-Easier to climb the steeper hills when the pedal strokes are more jerky because the lower mass is easier to accelerate.

The profile is more rounded than the original Nightrider which some riders have claimed makes it less susceptible to road camber. I didn't notice that to be the case. I found it neither better nor worse. The tire definitely rides differently. It really felt more like riding my 29" with the round Big Apple tire.

Conclusion: I need another 36" unicycle!

I enjoyed the easier starting and climbing but I also enjoy the inertia of the heavier tire on the flat paved trails when I just want to get out and cruise along. Since I don't want to change tires each time I see no other choice for me besides getting another 36" unicycle. :-)
TMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-14, 05:38 PM   #107
bouin-bouin
Didier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMason View Post
I received the new 36" Nightrider Lite in the mail yesterday so of course I had to immediately mount it on the unicycle and go for spin.

What I noticed was I guess to be expected:

-Easier to get the wheel turning initially.
-Easier to climb the steeper hills when the pedal strokes are more jerky because the lower mass is easier to accelerate.

The profile is more rounded than the original Nightrider which some riders have claimed makes it less susceptible to road camber. I didn't notice that to be the case. I found it neither better nor worse. The tire definitely rides differently. It really felt more like riding my 29" with the round Big Apple tire.

Conclusion: I need another 36" unicycle!

I enjoyed the easier starting and climbing but I also enjoy the inertia of the heavier tire on the flat paved trails when I just want to get out and cruise along. Since I don't want to change tires each time I see no other choice for me besides getting another 36" unicycle. :-)
I have 1 KH36 available but France is far and shipping expensive
my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)
bouin-bouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-15, 05:32 PM   #108
mowcius
2017 UK Road Race Champion

Location: Leeds, W. Yorks. Unicycles: KH36/32, KH36 (stolen), KHF29, KH24, 19" Gravity, 20" BC
I've had the Lite tyre for a while now and thought I'd contribute.

The bits of my setup that might matter:
- Dominator2 rim
- Nightrider Lite 36"
- Foss lightweight 36" tube
- 110mm spirit cranks
- 203mm crank mounted disk brake
- KH36 disk frame (so 100mm spacing)
- KH Fusion One
- KH distance t-bar

Tyre thoughts:
- Under about 30psi it's almost unrideable (I'm around 65kg). The old tyre is excellent offroad with even the Foss tube, at much lower pressures.
- 35psi seems to be about the sweet spot for me. Tight corners on road any lower and I it doesn't feel right.
- Cornering is different. It takes less effort to turn into corners than the old tyre, but more effort to come back out of them.
- Camber I've noticed it's different but haven't quite made up my mind. At higher pressures I'd say it's better, but at lower pressures it seems pretty similar.
- Acceleration is insanely good. A few seconds and I can be almost at maximum speed.

Tags
new 36, tyre