Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-01-30, 01:32 PM   #1
GideupJimmy
GideupJimmy

Your Funny, Unusual, Intersting Uni Stories Thread ..

Hey all... able to share any funny, unusual, interesting Uni stories ...???..
Am thinking there must be plenty of very cool Uni stories out there ....
Let GideupJimmy get this thread started....

So, when travelling overseas or interstate, one of my things is to take my Uni with me..... have done this in many cities and countries...it's just what Jimmy does...(started taking the 29" and now take the 36") approx 12 Months ago when visiting San Francisco, Jimmy traveled from the SF Pier area over to Sausalito with a group of 6 x Bike cyclists (tourist mode) ... yes jimmy was the only Uni rider ... anyhow half way across the Golden Gate Bridge, a policeman/Officer on a bike heading toward me held out his hand as a signal asking me to stop...Jimmy knew he wanted me to stop... however Jimmy deliberately chose to continue riding ahead holding out my hand to Hi five the policeman instead, and simply kept on peddling ahead... After a couple of hundred metres further, the policeman was on my tail with his siren and flashing blue light bellowing away behind me ... so of course Jimmy eventually came to a halt.... after pulling Jimmy up, the policeman politely asked why I neglected to stop when asked (I explained that I thought he just wanted to Hi 5) he politely advised that Uni riding is not permitted on the bridge.. Jimmy of course explained that he was not aware of this (I really wasn't) and that there was no sign advising that unicycles were not allowed... the officer explained that the Uni riding is too distracting to other pedestrians and cyclists and this may cause confusion leading to accidents etc......by this stage I was approx 80% across the bridge so diplomatically agreed to walk it the remaining section of bridge...at near end of bridge Jimmy hopped back on and we eventually reached the beautiful Sausalito... the original plan was for our riding group to ferry it back to SF, however we all agreed to ride back to San Fran instead... (a total of +20 miles) on the way back Jimmy took the risk to ride the bridge with his buddies riding ahead to provide warning as required and made it across without being pulled up ... all in all, the end to end return ride was a very cool experience and one that I would recommend you do given the chance ... Hi Fiving the officer patrol was hilarious not to mention the police siren and flashing blue light pulling Jimmy up.... never mind the Uni factor, but the theatrics of everything provided a fantastic experience and story to Jimmy and his riding party that we shared together and will always remember....

So ...perhaps you have a Uni story of your own to tell ??????? Jimmy
GideupJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-01, 08:24 PM   #2
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

Good story Jimmy. I imagine that high fiving a policeman is typical aussie behavior. :-)

UniMyra was out for some downhill muni, and on his way down he had to pass a restaurant that was packed with people outside in the beautiful weather. UniMyra decided to ride very close to the restaurant with his new Nimbus Hatchet and impress all the people with his riding skills. Just when he passed the resturant he lost control over the very bouncy Surly Nate tyre, quickly picked up speed, and suddenly found himself on a wild rodeo ride down a rock next to the restaurant. UniMyra was thrown off the front and landed for some reason on a completely stiff right leg. Since he could not flex his leg, he picked up even more speed before making a faceplant in the gravel. All teeth were still there, but the face was all bloody. As UniMyra lied in the gravel he knew he had to turn around and walk back up towards the restaurant with blood all over to pick up the uni. He was pretty quick about it, and barely noticed the horrified faces. Here comes the funny part: A man in his fifties with a big unicycle and a bloody face had to spend an hour on the subway and a bus in the rush hour to get home.
Old 2017-02-02, 03:17 AM   #3
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Do we have to write about ourselves in the third person?

Jimmy, on what did the Policeman have blue lights and a siren? No place to park a car mid-bridge, so was he on a bike? Then he was breaking his own rule! Not unusual for US cops and driving...

But it is legal to cycle across the Golden Gate Bridge. We do it in a sizeable group every year for the San Francisco Unicycle Tour. The east side of the bridge is for pedestrians. That's the side that faces the city and Alcatraz. The west side is for cyclists, and still has a pretty nice view.
Attached Images

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-02, 06:13 PM   #4
Spinningwoman
Finally freemounting unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Do we have to write about ourselves in the third person?
I assumed it was a Trump directive I had missed.
Old 2017-02-02, 09:05 PM   #5
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

I, for one, am not going to refer to myself as "the John". Sounds too bathroomey.

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-03, 12:36 PM   #6
GideupJimmy
GideupJimmy

Jimmy appreciates UniMyra's recount. The ride home on public transport in rush hour is Gold....
Old 2017-02-03, 12:42 PM   #7
GideupJimmy
GideupJimmy

Hey JohnFoss.... the officicer was on a bicycle ... we were all on the East Side. Plenty of bicycle riders and pedestrians intermixed on the East Side. There was no issue with the bicycle riders just only with a Jimmy on the Uni....
If heading over there again with Uni, Jimmy is now keen to try out the West Side..Thanx for the tipoff ....
Old 2017-02-04, 09:17 AM   #8
Klaus
Unicyclist

One suspects that Jimmy is a Seinfeld fan...
Old 2017-02-04, 12:51 PM   #9
GideupJimmy
GideupJimmy

Gideup Klaus ...
Aside, Jimmy is most keen to hear about some Uni stories just like UniMyra shared. ... if there is a thread that exists ..... appreciate to be pointed there'....

Tags
funny, intersting, stories, thread, uni, unusual