Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-07-08, 10:37 AM   #31
sukie47
One is enough

Yes, I know all that. The irony is that my brother is a commercial pilot. I could fly anytime I want for next to nothing... it is a terrible waste. I'm working on it. though
Old 2016-07-08, 04:44 PM   #32
Bradford
Corporate Escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukie47 View Post
Thanks John. That's exactly what I needed to hear. I have quite a phobia of flying, so it will take something pretty special to get me on a plane across the pond. This could be just the thing. Maybe I'll see you there. I hope your recovery from your surgery goes smoothly.
I hate flying too. I've flown more times than I could ever count for work and personal travel, and I still hate it, and it still terrifies me. The comment that "flying is safer than any other form of transportation" while true, is worthless in the face of deep emotions, and fear really couldn't give a crap about logic. Also, for the record, those of us that are not children and have a fear of flying have heard this logic about a million times and counting. It's just as worthless to hear the million and first time as it was the first. For me, it's as bad as hearing "Where's your other wheel". Not trying to pick on you John (OK, maybe a little); I know you're just trying to be helpful. If you're not afraid to fly, you don't get it, and that's all there is to it.

I personally have had some scary times on planes, and one flight I was on crashed after it dropped us off in Dallas and was headed back to Pittsburgh. It crashed about halfway there due to a mechanical malfunction just a few hours after I got off, and a lot of people died. My understanding is that it carried some of the same crew on board that served us, which is very chilling. If that malfunction had happened just a couple hours before, that could have been us. I'll never forget that as long as I live.

One of my uncles also died in a plane crash, and one of my great uncles witnessed people burning to death in a plane that crashed right outside the hangar he worked in. He was supposed to be on that plane for his first ever flight, which he missed for some reason, and he never flew aftwards. I don't think logic and statistics would have worked on him either!
Old 2016-07-08, 10:34 PM   #33
sukie47
One is enough

oops, I started something....at least there's a good bit of time to decide whether to go or not
Old 2016-07-12, 03:48 AM   #34
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Absolutely! Sorry about the noob response about flying, I should know better. Worse than "Where's your other wheel", I stuck my foot in it. Wishing you only the best! If not Unicon, I just learned that next year's USA Convention will be in Seattle. ROAD TRIP!

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-12, 04:57 PM   #35
Bradford
Corporate Escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Absolutely! Sorry about the noob response about flying, I should know better. Worse than "Where's your other wheel", I stuck my foot in it. Wishing you only the best! If not Unicon, I just learned that next year's USA Convention will be in Seattle. ROAD TRIP!
Nah, it's all good. Mostly just trying to be supportive to another person of similar age dealing with their fear of flying. No biggie at all!
Old 2016-07-12, 04:59 PM   #36
Bradford
Corporate Escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukie47 View Post
oops, I started something....at least there's a good bit of time to decide whether to go or not
Nah, I'm just touchy about it. Darn text! Can't tell tone! I should have softened my words. They were more harsh then I intended. Sorry!
Old 2016-07-22, 08:48 PM   #37
Sanne.Kj
56 blood donations :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
How about a "vuelta de pinxtos"?
Hello Vertigo
You can look forward to the pintxos. They are delicious.
See you soon,
Sanne
Sanne.Kj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-23, 05:02 PM   #38
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne.Kj View Post
Hello Vertigo
You can look forward to the pintxos. They are delicious.
See you soon,
Sanne
It's starting this coming week!!!!

Unfortunately I'm sitting here with an ice pack on my hamstring. I pulled it during my ride this past Wednesday. That's after having a spectacular crash Monday night. I was 3.5 miles into a 20+ mile ride and "tripped" over an unexpected pot hole at top speed. My unicycle stopped and I kept going until my face hit the pavement. I have lots of road rash, a huge bruise on my chin and a sore wrist. Thank goodness I was wearing a helmet (but no knee pads or wrist guards). At that point my legs and knees were ok so I rode another 17 miles. I'm hoping all the training I've done until now will be enough to see me through the race.

I'm so excited for my first Unicon! See you soon.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-23, 08:37 PM   #39
Sanne.Kj
56 blood donations :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
(...) Unfortunately I'm sitting here with an ice pack on my hamstring. (...)
Oh no!!
Quote:
I'm hoping all the training I've done until now will be enough to see me through the race.
My best wishes for you. Luckily the marathon is the last day, so you have time to recover.
Quote:
I'm so excited for my first Unicon! See you soon.

Best regards,
Sanne
Sanne.Kj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-25, 10:05 PM   #40
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

I'm in San Sebastian! We arrived a day early from our traveling around other parts of Spain. I only brought one unicycle; the 24" with the thick red rim shown above. My trusty Wilder Muni has had worn-out bearings for a few years now. They creak! I ordered some new ones, which turned out to be the wrong size (inner diameter). After my local bike shop was unable to replace those with some BMX bottom bracket bearings (also off by a bit), time was very short. My wonderful wife said "How old is that uni?" I got it in 2003. "Well maybe it's time for a new one?" YES! I got hold of Roger Davies, to confirm he would be able to bring what I've been wanting for a few years now, a KH 26". It'll be the first pure KH unicycle I've owned!

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-25, 10:43 PM   #41
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Send a message via MSN to jaco_flans
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
I'm in San Sebastian! We arrived a day early from our traveling around other parts of Spain. I only brought one unicycle; the 24" with the thick red rim shown above. My trusty Wilder Muni has had worn-out bearings for a few years now. They creak! I ordered some new ones, which turned out to be the wrong size (inner diameter). After my local bike shop was unable to replace those with some BMX bottom bracket bearings (also off by a bit), time was very short. My wonderful wife said "How old is that uni?" I got it in 2003. "Well maybe it's time for a new one?" YES! I got hold of Roger Davies, to confirm he would be able to bring what I've been wanting for a few years now, a KH 26". It'll be the first pure KH unicycle I've owned!
Hey John, for the bearing issue, check around if you have a bearing supplier local, I got bearings for my good ol' Profile hub with my local bearing store! Hard to find but I got them!
Old 2016-07-26, 08:26 AM   #42
pierrox
Unicyclist

John,
Congrats on your first KH, does that also mean your first uni with brakes?
And welcome to San Sebastian.
We will visit next week for a day or so, part of our road trip, with the hope of meeting some people we know on this forum - and some IRL. You might spot us in a green version of a vehicle I saw on some of your old photos...
Now I have to see which uni can fit with all the camping gear!

Last edited by pierrox; 2016-07-26 at 08:27 AM.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-27, 04:20 PM   #43
LanceB
This space available

FYI, Josh Stinton was just live streaming from San Sebastian (on Facebook). Is anyone else doing that? Very cool way to see what's going on there, even though I'm stuck here in L.A.!
Old 2016-07-28, 10:36 AM   #44
pierrox
Unicyclist

Thanks for that suggestion!
There's also Paul Sergent who films a lot of stuff live and not live:
https://www.facebook.com/paulsergentunicyclist/
I don't think you need to be registered to watch his feed.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-28, 07:11 PM   #45
LanceB
This space available

Thanks pierrox! It's great to see what's going on over there!

(I didn't think to add a link to Josh's page, so here it is. I don't know if everyone can see it or not, but here it is anyway. https://www.facebook.com/josh.stinton )

Tags
unicon