Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-01-11, 04:46 PM   #31
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

I did had an issue when inflating my TA to more PSI and it finished by a flat.
Was it due to the extra PSI? I dunno.

What would be interesting is to read the feelings of someone who did have the old heavy TA riding it a 32 PSI and that now rides the light TA (still at 32 PSI), especially if that person also switched from stock 36" tube to FOSS tube.

Personally I was on a 2.1kg TA and 600gm 36er tube and put a 1690gm nigthrider tyre with a 225gm 36" FOSS tube.
I also inflated it to 65PSI and it felt way lighter than my loud TA, and with much less rolling resistance.
But when it comes to ride it at near 30 PSI, I don't find it as comfortable as the TA tire at the same PSI, even if it is still easier to pedal from the freemount.

I just wonder if a light version of the TA tyre makes the "feeling of rolling in mud" acceptable.

Another thing: when I Inflated my TA to 40-55 PSI It was very bouncy in a unpleasant way, I don't have this issue when I inflate the nightrider at 40-65 PSI.
I think the TA tyre really is made to be inflated at 32 PSI max.
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-12, 12:33 AM   #32
jtrops
Unicyclist

UniDreamer:

My TA was an old one that weighed 1700g. I used a 29er tube, and it never felt like mud. I suspect that you are right about the tires having a different sweet spot for inflation. From what you wrote I think a lot of the poor handling of your TA at 32psi was probably the overweight tube, and that you had a heavier tire by a good margin. Pushing all of that extra weight around is a lot of work. When I put the 29er tube in my Coker Button tread tire it made it much more lively. The TA never had anything but 29er tubes in it, so I never got the chance to see how it felt with the original heavy tube.
Old 2016-01-12, 01:55 AM   #33
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrops View Post
UniDreamer:

My TA was an old one that weighed 1700g. I used a 29er tube, and it never felt like mud. I suspect that you are right about the tires having a different sweet spot for inflation. From what you wrote I think a lot of the poor handling of your TA at 32psi was probably the overweight tube, and that you had a heavier tire by a good margin. Pushing all of that extra weight around is a lot of work. When I put the 29er tube in my Coker Button tread tire it made it much more lively. The TA never had anything but 29er tubes in it, so I never got the chance to see how it felt with the original heavy tube.
Thanks for this.
I wish I had tried a lighter TA + light tube before I switched to the nigthrider, cause I already have 9 tyres at home for my 4 unicycles (the 9th is coming soon) and it would be more reasonable to wait a little before making a new TA my 10th tyre
I only had few rides with the nightrider which is a good tyre a high PSI.
In the meantime, I will fill my desire of soft tyre suspensions with the upcoming surly 26x3
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
36er, lightweight, tyre