Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2010-06-28, 03:45 AM   #1
unibikeling
Vendetta Against Freestylers

Send a message via AIM to unibikeling Send a message via MSN to unibikeling Send a message via Yahoo to unibikeling
Summer Project Car (1968 fastback mustang 289)

My friend and I are going to fix up his dad's 68' mustang fastback. Cool car. Repainted in like 78.. and then again in maybe 79 or 80? It's been in his shed since 1993. Engine was rebuilt about 5k miles back, along with the tranny. Tires have less than 1k miles on them. And instead of a 289 it has a 302 block in it instead. I think that was actually stock? It was RIGHT when ford switched it.

If you feel like reading more:
-Needs oil cleaned out of cylinders, new fuel lines, power steering belt, power steering to stop leaking, spark plugs, battery... Atleast to a somewhat running condition. Needs some touch ups for repainting. ANNND one of the later parts, but larger parts is the interior is ugly as shit. His dad in the early 80s put fluffy fabric on EVERYTHING, dash, cluster, side panels, damn near everything except for the seats. Mice have eaten through some of the headliner. Cool damn car though. Even has a false speaker behind the bench seat to grab beer from the trunk :P.

I'll post pictures as it progresses.

Please note: The shocks are in fact NOT blown in back, it has air ride shocks in back :P
So, picture(s):

Sixsixone - Great gear for all riding!-My Videos

Sprite Off Winner 08~
unibikeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 04:19 AM   #2
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibikeling View Post
His dad in the early 80s put fluffy fabric on EVERYTHING, dash, cluster, side panels, damn near everything except for the seats.
Are you sure that happened in the 80s? Really? Was he ever in the Pimp business?

Cool old car. Well-restored, it could also be worth some money! Early Mustangs are popular.

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 12:15 PM   #3
unibikeling

Send a message via AIM to unibikeling Send a message via MSN to unibikeling Send a message via Yahoo to unibikeling
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Are you sure that happened in the 80s? Really? Was he ever in the Pimp business?

Cool old car. Well-restored, it could also be worth some money! Early Mustangs are popular.
If you knew who my friend's dad was you would laugh very hard. He's a man about in his late 40's early 50's, who lives on a century farm and is enthused with cowboy stuff (recently bought a .22 revolver)

Sprite Off Winner 08~
Old 2010-07-03, 12:51 AM   #4
unibikeling

Got the car to fire up briefly. My friend and I were very joyous because of it haha.

Car kind of tried to fire last night, fired up today for about 2 seconds and then stalled.

Did a lot of work last night (oil change, sparkplug change, checked fuel lines)

Today we put in about 3 gallons of gas, and figured out the fuel pump really works. After we got that primed up, our battery connection started to fail. (Had trouble with it all day, the negative plug was smoking occasionally, and sparked a little), So, the failing of the connection allowed the electronics in the car to work, but not the starter (damn.)

We plan to remove all of the fluff (and the carpet when we get around to replacing the floor), and we kind of want to replace it in the back section (behind the front seats), it would look soooo awesome

Anyway, pictures from today: (my friend, owner of the car, is in some of the pics)

Sprite Off Winner 08~
Old 2010-07-03, 02:50 AM   #5
critter
Year of the Tiger

Looks like that will keep you busy. Good luck!

I remember those. As a kid, I thought the slotted-back-window-shade was the coolest.
Old 2010-07-03, 03:02 AM   #6
unibikeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter View Post
Looks like that will keep you busy. Good luck!

I remember those. As a kid, I thought the slotted-back-window-shade was the coolest.
yeah, the louvers are pretty funny :P Very 80's haha.

Yeah, thing is i can barely work on that car, it's at my friends house. His parents are split, and he switches houses every week. So, i can't work on that car for at least a week.

Sprite Off Winner 08~
Old 2010-07-06, 07:27 AM   #7
munimutant
Keep the rubber side down

I bought a 67 GT fastback with a 289 hi-po in high school. I'll never forget the first time I stopped for gas and noticed a valve nipple sticking out the rear by the gas cap. I had air shocks! I was so excited. Now I could raise the back end and have that classic "muscle-car stance" all the serious racers had. So I grabbed an air hose (they used to be right on the pump islands) and stared in delight as the back end slowly raised up. Then........BANG. I had burst the air bags. They were probably barely holding air anyway, but I was crestfallen. I had to drive around for a few weeks with no rear shocks until I could scrape enough cash for the repair. Have fun with your project, the Mustang is such an icon of the American muscle car scene, along with Camaro, Vette, Challenger and all the other "Detroit Iron" beauties.
munimutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 03:11 PM   #8
unibikeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by munimutant View Post
I bought a 67 GT fastback with a 289 hi-po in high school. I'll never forget the first time I stopped for gas and noticed a valve nipple sticking out the rear by the gas cap. I had air shocks! I was so excited. Now I could raise the back end and have that classic "muscle-car stance" all the serious racers had. So I grabbed an air hose (they used to be right on the pump islands) and stared in delight as the back end slowly raised up. Then........BANG. I had burst the air bags. They were probably barely holding air anyway, but I was crestfallen. I had to drive around for a few weeks with no rear shocks until I could scrape enough cash for the repair. Have fun with your project, the Mustang is such an icon of the American muscle car scene, along with Camaro, Vette, Challenger and all the other "Detroit Iron" beauties.

hahahahahahahaha.... Awesome story! haha. Yeah, it's a pretty sick car, It's going to be so fun once it's running!

Sprite Off Winner 08~
Old 2010-07-06, 09:22 PM   #9
1-wheeled-grape
Scott

Send a message via MSN to 1-wheeled-grape
Not bad Graham, its cool... but mines better, An original mini Im rebuilding that at the moment, engine rebuild, both subframes, interior and all the welding, dent sorting and painting the shell.

I'm still waiting for a new set of piston rings at the moment though but after that i can rebuild most of the engine and put it back in, then get an unleaded head and rebuild that with the rockers, manifolds and carb with new gaskets and new air filter.

I've still got hundreds of pounds of work to do, it probably wont be out of the shed by the summer, and if it is i doubt it will be completely finished.
Old 2010-07-06, 11:26 PM   #10
unibikeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-wheeled-grape View Post
Not bad Graham, its cool... but mines better, An original mini Im rebuilding that at the moment, engine rebuild, both subframes, interior and all the welding, dent sorting and painting the shell.

I'm still waiting for a new set of piston rings at the moment though but after that i can rebuild most of the engine and put it back in, then get an unleaded head and rebuild that with the rockers, manifolds and carb with new gaskets and new air filter.

I've still got hundreds of pounds of work to do, it probably wont be out of the shed by the summer, and if it is i doubt it will be completely finished.
see, the last 95% of your post doesn't coexide with "But mines better" hahahaha..

Considering this one is actually running-ish. I just need to blow air through the fuel lines, and then put a fuel filter on, and get the battery wiring up to date.

Sprite Off Winner 08~
Old 2010-07-07, 12:15 AM   #11
spazdude222
I'm praying for you

Send a message via Skype™ to spazdude222
That's going to be a freaking beautiful car. Count me as one of the MANY jealous people. Not only do I not have such a mustang, but I don't have the know how when it comes to cars to fix it up.
Old 2010-07-07, 12:41 AM   #12
unibikeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazdude222 View Post
That's going to be a freaking beautiful car. Count me as one of the MANY jealous people. Not only do I not have such a mustang, but I don't have the know how when it comes to cars to fix it up.
haha. It sucks that it's just my friends and not actually mine :/ but oh well.

I don't have too much know how either, but i know a lot more than my friend :P

Sprite Off Winner 08~

Tags
1968, 289, car, fastback, mustang, project, summer