Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2015-10-02, 12:15 AM   #751
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
When I first started to "get it" I kept on for hours by the light of a street light up the road while it continued to rain lightly. It was mid-Summer though.
That's the beauty of a 20" unicycle. It doesn't take much of a light for the small area you need. And I've done more of my long free/flat (geezer-grade) practice sessions in winter, with it well below freezing at times. In the summer, I overheat too quickly. I've never gotten chilly on a unicycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OorWullie View Post
Today I did my first muni ride. It's a mostly flat but pretty rough/potholed gravel road
Way to go! That sounds like a fine first experience. One way to think about it is that hiking a trail is a good enough thing to do, and pushing a unicycle doesn't make hiking that much harder. So just ride what you can, walk what you can't, and try to ride more of it next time than you did this time.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-02, 06:20 PM   #752
LanceB
This space available

Today I...
passed a mountain biker on a hill. It was pretty cool. He wasn't a great mountain biker and had stalled half-way up (it's a pretty steep hill). I powered passed him, and he was impressed. Felt pretty good, I don't get to do that very often!
Old 2015-10-02, 07:33 PM   #753
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
Today I...
passed a mountain biker on a hill. It was pretty cool. He wasn't a great mountain biker and had stalled half-way up (it's a pretty steep hill). I powered passed him, and he was impressed. Felt pretty good, I don't get to do that very often!
High five Lance! Passing any bike on hills is satisfying.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-02, 10:07 PM   #754
OorWullie
Unicyclist

Thanks LargeEddie, I chose that bit because it's close to home & has trees down one side & a deer fence down the other so if I'm tiring & can't free mount there's options for assistance! Did it again tonight & managed more of the uphill than yesterday but upd in bits I managed yesterday. The aim is to clean the whole loop then find more challenging options!
OorWullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-03, 04:44 PM   #755
Setonix
Unicyclist

Just a small brag this time. Today I went to the unicycle club I in no time I learned how to hop with the unicycle, while keeping the saddle in front of me. I also managed to hop a little by letting the saddle lie on the floor and holding just the wheel while jumping. Quite tiring that was.
Another thing I managed to do was holding the saddle pin while riding, which makes you bend down a lot while keeping balance.
All this on a 20 inch freestyle uni.

What I really want to learn now is being able to ride with the seat in front, but it is kinda hard getting the saddle between my legs out to the front. The saddle is wider at the back. Anyone have any tips for that?
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-03, 04:53 PM   #756
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
Today I...
That's how you do it. Show those mountainbikers, mocking us unicyclists while we're riding in "their" terrain.
Old 2015-10-03, 10:41 PM   #757
Tinbox
Mostly Harmless

Today I...

Was robbed and humiliated...

My 11 year old wanted to try my uni so I put the seat down as far as possible and let the tyre down a bit. Within an hour and a half he could ride about 50' and had managed a few free mounts.

I am still crying and may never be the same again. I hate kids
Old 2015-10-04, 02:00 AM   #758
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbox View Post
Within an hour and a half he could ride about 50' and had managed a few free mounts.
Take heart. It was no doubt the exceptional ability of his teacher that made it so easy for him.

I had a similar experience with my sons. The elder one literally rode further on every attempt and was riding right across the bumpy grass in my front yard after twenty minutes in the saddle. He has his own uni now.

The younger one managed a few metres that same day and was riding competently after the next session.
Old 2015-10-05, 02:19 AM   #759
Catsmeat
Unicyclist

Rode all the way up The Big Hill today.

Rode about 50 feet backwards last night on my best two attempts. I'm no longer scared of UPDs when riding backwards, and have gotten over the habit of freaking out and leaning forward. My success rate with riding backwards for at least 20 feet is about where my success rate with free mounts was a month ago. Free mounts are at almost 100%, largely because obsessively practicing backwards riding has resulted in lots of UPDs, which means lots of chances to free mount. I can occasionally free mount without putting a hand on the saddle.

I'm not disciplined--I'm just freaking addicted. I'll probably keep chasing the high that comes with learning new skills on this thing for the rest of my life.
Menace to society
Catsmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-05, 05:42 AM   #760
Catsmeat
Unicyclist

And rode >100 feet backward tonight!
Menace to society
Old 2015-10-05, 10:05 AM   #761
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsmeat View Post
And rode >100 feet backward tonight!
it sounds a lot, but in metres it isn't so far :P
We don't calculate in feet in Denmark. That said I can't ride backwards at all.

When I hang backwards, I twitch and either dismount or quickly hang to the front again. Btw can you already idle. I still don't know what comes first : riding backwards or idling.
Old 2015-10-05, 06:34 PM   #762
Catsmeat
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
it sounds a lot, but in metres it isn't so far :P
We don't calculate in feet in Denmark. That said I can't ride backwards at all.

When I hang backwards, I twitch and either dismount or quickly hang to the front again. Btw can you already idle. I still don't know what comes first : riding backwards or idling.
No, I can't idle at all. Once I can consistently ride backwards with a relaxed attitude for at least 100 feet, I'll really focus on idling to bring everything together.

I think there'd have to be something wrong with you if trying to ride backwards didn't freak you out at first; it goes hard against survival instincts. I started the same way I learned to ride forward: with one hand on a wall, carefully feeling things out. At first, I used the wall constantly, and my only goal was to keep the pedals spinning smoothly. That helped me to get some sense of how things feel when the unicycle is tilted back at the correct angle. Then I started taking my hand off the wall when it felt like I had the balance right, just like I did when I was starting to learn to ride forward. The biggest challenge was getting over the habit of leaning forward and UPD-ing with the unicycle behind me. When you get confident enough riding backwards that most of your UPDs happen with the unicycle in front of you, and you realize you can still land on your feet, I think you're over the biggest hurdle. Your primal brain must get the message that backwards riding does not mean DANGER DANGER ABORT MISSION.
Menace to society
Old 2015-10-05, 07:28 PM   #763
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Your primal brain must get the message that backwards riding does not mean DANGER DANGER ABORT MISSION.
I am a programmer in my daily life. I should be able to link my brain with a USB-stick to a laptop and override the primal brain, turning it into DANGER DANGER, GO ON, FUN

Uhm how long did you practice with the wall until you felt you could do without?
Old 2015-10-05, 08:21 PM   #764
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Quote:
Your primal brain must get the message that backwards riding does not mean DANGER DANGER ABORT MISSION.
That's a really good observation. Only in the past month have I gotten there going backwards, where I felt like I was just riding as opposed to seeing how far I could get before the inevitable dismount. (That's after two years working on it.)
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-06, 02:14 AM   #765
Catsmeat
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
I am a programmer in my daily life. I should be able to link my brain with a USB-stick to a laptop and override the primal brain, turning it into DANGER DANGER, GO ON, FUN

Uhm how long did you practice with the wall until you felt you could do without?
I still have to use the wall (or post, etc.) to get myself started, but I think it was about a week before I felt comfortable enough to use it as nothing more than a launching point.
Menace to society

Tags
brag, landed, thread, today, tricks, version 2