Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2020-01-27, 02:23 AM   #31
JimT
Unicyclist

I was kind of wondering about what a quick release would look like. In an older thread I see:

There is also an off the shelf parts list for this one (looks like the same one in service above):

Looks like it is doable and road tested but for some reason has not become very popular. Maybe just too much work to replace the fully serviceable standard bolt on bearing cap.
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-27, 03:54 AM   #32
lobbybopster
Unicyclist

Gotta Love this !

yes Jim, that's what I copied, only I made my own screws with swivel links and slotted the stock bottom caps so I have a quick swap out of wheels with the disc. I copied it in 2008 when I was looking for stronger hub ideas because of the breakage of square taper hubs and had only made one frame at the time. I was making my own disc hubs then also and got in the habit of bringing a spare.
lobbybopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-27, 07:53 AM   #33
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
I was kind of wondering about what a quick release would look like. In an older thread I see:

There is also an off the shelf parts list for this one (looks like the same one in service above):

Looks like it is doable and road tested but for some reason has not become very popular. Maybe just too much work to replace the fully serviceable standard bolt on bearing cap.
That's the one I have on my Kinetics unicycle. The thing that makes it a little fiddly is that the lever is not attached to the clamp; it has a bolt with a sleeve and washer. When you open the clamp the bolt and washer move around and the whole assembly usually comes off. Then getting it back in is, not exactly difficult, but fiddly to get the tension right.

If it worked a little more solidly I think it would be a pretty obvious improvement.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearing, caps, quick, release