Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2005-10-01, 05:28 PM   #1
leadpan
Hatchet man

side-mount on Coker success!

After attempting this my third type of mount(currently I can: static mount, rolling mount), last night I was able to do it for the first time ever! WOOT WOOT!
Now I admit that I put longer cranks(155mm) early this week to do more freestyle stuff. But it still feel GREAT to finally be able to do this. Thanks U-turn for your video how-to, it helped on getting a feel of where I should place my feet. Now my next step is to side-mount consistantly, right now my success rate is only 5%.
leadpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-02, 06:46 AM   #2
U-Turn
Small fish, small pond

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadpan
After attempting this my third type of mount(currently I can: static mount, rolling mount), last night I was able to do it for the first time ever! WOOT WOOT!
Now I admit that I put longer cranks(155mm) early this week to do more freestyle stuff. But it still feel GREAT to finally be able to do this. Thanks U-turn for your video how-to, it helped on getting a feel of where I should place my feet. Now my next step is to side-mount consistantly, right now my success rate is only 5%.
You're welcome. I'm glad it helped! Considering that 4 years ago the common wisdom was that even a Coker rollback mount was next to impossible, things have changed a lot!
Old 2005-10-02, 07:57 AM   #3
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Turn
You're welcome. I'm glad it helped! Considering that 4 years ago the common wisdom was that even a Coker rollback mount was next to impossible, things have changed a lot!
I remember about 3 years ago, someone posting a link to a video of themselves doing a rollback mount on a Coker, and then, gasp, idling it. At that time, I was very new to serious unicycling, and very very new to Cokering, and I was gobsmacked. Now even I can idle a Coker for a few pedal strokes. Maybe the difference is simply that Cokers have become more common and people are less afraid of them.

Be that as it may, sidemounting a Coker is pretty amazing, and I will never even try.
Old 2005-10-02, 05:51 PM   #4
leadpan
Hatchet man

Mikefule,
Thanks for the compliment! I will says there is one thing that is next to impossible on a Coker. Hopping over a park bench! Hopping on my weak stock Coker rim is somthing I try to avoid but when I do hop, can only do about an inch. Any suggestions? Maybe I first need to get a stronger frame.
leadpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-04, 10:31 PM   #5
al_lieffring
persona non grata

I tried a Coker sidemount a couple of weeks ago with my stock rim and hub. The wheel almost tacoed. Afterward it woggled to where it was rubbing the frame. So I did the same thing but from the other side and it straightened back to where it was.

I've ridden about 50 miles since then, It seems to be ok for now.

Al :O)
al_lieffring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coker, sidemount, success