Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-05-02, 09:32 PM   #16
sukie47
One is enough

Sounds like a really nice ride! a 3 mile loop is a perfect distance for getting the cobwebs out of the mind. I am embarrassed to ask, but what is SIF riding?

Sounds like you are doing great. I would love to follow your lead and learn to stand up and ride.

Happy riding!
Old 2016-05-02, 09:45 PM   #17
MUCFreerider
29" Muni/Downhill! (and 36" Muni)

SIF=Seat-In-Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukie47 View Post
I am embarrassed to ask, but what is SIF riding?
Seat-In-Front

Means riding without sitting on the saddle with the saddle out in front of you, held with either one or two hands. It's hard on the legs as you obviously have no weight on the saddle and have to support all your weight with your legs, and this as you pedal. At first the back-and-forth movement makes it seem impossible, but comes with practice (and strength buildup).

There's also seat-in-back and seat-on-the-side (or is it seat-to-the-side), but those are more freestyle moves.
24" Koxx, Duro (gathering dust)
19" Trials Impact Athmos
20" Qu-Ax Profi Freestyle, 89mm VCX (new Nov 2018)
MUCFreerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-02, 09:48 PM   #18
Geolojas
Unicyclist

Quote:
what is SIF riding?
SIF = Seat In Front.

I was practicing hopping the other day and I accidentally pulled the seat out from between my legs, and then surprised myself by not falling. I can stall, transition to SIF, and then hop. I can't ride SIF yet, nor have not been able to transition back to normal riding from SIF.

Riding while standing on the pedals is a step towards riding SIF. Its a good quad workout. Other than using it to relieving saddle discomfort last night, I have yet to use it for anything "useful". I still sit down while climbing.
Old 2016-05-02, 10:28 PM   #19
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolojas View Post
SIF = Seat In Front...I have yet to use it for anything "useful". I still sit down while climbing.
I'm glad to see riders discussing SIF riding, though it's kind of impractical to learn it on a larger wheel. (Get a 20"!!!) I think SIF represents the "future" of unicycling. More extreme technique can be performed on the unicycle without the limitations of seat-clearance and having to keep the center of gravity over the seat. SIF riding on my 20" taught me how to use handle bars on the larger unicycle. I think of SIF riding on a spectrum, from sitting on the back of the seat, to placing the seat against the abdomen, to holding it out in front of the body, and all the places in-between. I stressed my arms out initially learning SIF, because I could only hold on with one arm at a time, and this put great stress on my tendons. Later, I learned to hold the seat with two hands, and this was much more comfortable. Currently I can perform backwards figure-eights more reliably SIF than I can SI. Think about it this way: we're constantly making corrections, and SIF riding allows us to make bigger corrections. Since I set my seat-post high, I have limited clearance SI; I drop off curbs exclusively SIF. Not all forms of SIF involve placing all the weight on the feet. I frequently am pushing straight down onto the seat with my arms while riding SIF, so I'm supporting a lot of my weight with my arms. SIF has provided me with an upper-body workout, in addition to the lower-body workout. Don't fall into the trap of thinking "I want to do a particular kind of riding, so I don't need to learn this or that technique." Get a 20" and learn technique on it, then apply that technique to other forms of riding. SIF is important; IMHO, it is not a 'niche' skill.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-03, 12:13 AM   #20
sukie47
One is enough

I was prepping dinner a few minutes ago when all of a sudden I exclaimed, "Seat in Front!" Now, what is SI?

I am so regretting buying a cheap 20" unicycle off of a neighbor, cutting it down, and giving it to my nephew. It will collect dust, along with all his other toys. I've been keeping my eyes open for a 20" on craigslist. I agree that everything one can learn on the uni makes you just that much better.

Nice work Geolojas. I only have a stall currently. You inspire me to definitely follow your lead.
Old 2016-05-03, 05:16 AM   #21
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Now, what is SI?
SI=Seat-in. In other words, traditional butt-on-or-under-the-seat riding. There are some interesting threads on the forum comparing various aspects of SIF vs. SI riding. The post below is from a 2008, when younger riders hadn't yet ditched the forum for the facebook unicycle chat.

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70092

Now the only ones left on the forum are a bunch of old fogies complaining about their hemorrhoids. Easily remedied with a tube of SIF!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-03, 10:45 AM   #22
sukie47
One is enough

that's funny. Thanks for the morning laugh, and for the info. I am full of questions. I appreciate all you old fogies being willing to educate us newbies
Old 2016-05-03, 04:47 PM   #23
Geolojas
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjunkie15 View Post
I also learned on the American river dirt trails and never ran into any Ranger issues.
This is good to hear. I will stay the course and continue to have fun on these trails. Hopping is an emerging skill for me right now. I can hop to stay in place or make tight turns; the one time I did manage to hop onto a sidewalk from the street, I was so surprised I couldn't ride out of it. Your advice is well taken though... I'll start looking at smaller objects and imperfections in the trail as opportunities for jumping practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCFreerider View Post
About the best data comes from saskatchewanian in this Thread http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...&postcount=23:

The other factor would be cadence...
Yes! Thank you, I have found the chart made by saskatchewanian and it is fantastic. Cadence brings up an interesting point. I've never tracked my cadence, but that might be more interesting data than speed since it can be compared more broadly across different wheel sizes. I'll start paying attention to it.
Old 2016-05-03, 06:21 PM   #24
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolojas View Post
Cadence brings up an interesting point. I've never tracked my cadence, but that might be more interesting data than speed since it can be compared more broadly across different wheel sizes. I'll start paying attention to it.
Note that your maximum cadence is also tied to the crank size... smaller the cranks, smaller the circle, higher the cadence. Usually gear ratios are pretty low on a unicycle, so shorter cranks usually translate functionally into an increase in speed because you increase your max cadence, but are still within a comfortable gear ratio to push, although you do lose some acceleration and control. A crank size of course doesn't have a max cadence, but in general, your personal max cadence will be higher on shorter cranks.

if you do have speed data and want to have cadence data:

wheel diameter[distance]* Pi * cadence [revolutions/minute] * 60 [min/hr] = speed [distance/hr]

where distance is the same unit measurement, so add your respective sensible units and convert there.

This is independent of crank size, but cadence will increase with shorter cranks, and the gear ratio will go up, so it will be harder to push the wheel.

If you assume a constant foot speed:

Cadence = foot speed[distance/minute] / (crank diameter[distance]*pi)

You can see here that increasing foot speed linearly will increase cadence linearly... that's no surprise, especially on a unicycle, but notice that crank diameter is inversely proportional to cadence, so assuming you have the same foot speed with large cranks that you do with short cranks (big assumption that isn't true) halving your crank size will double your speed.

This has been discussed extensively in other threads, but it's also been a source of debate and confusion.

Last edited by juggleaddict; 2016-05-03 at 06:22 PM.
juggleaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-03, 10:58 PM   #25
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
I was prepping dinner a few minutes ago when all of a sudden I exclaimed, "Seat in Front!" Now, what is SI?
It's another needless abbreviation, which has no place in a thread that was started by a new rider with new-rider needs. Now we have to keep explaining all of our acronyms instead of helping with the topic.

So sit on that and UPD.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-04, 03:58 AM   #26
Geolojas
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggleaddict View Post
if you do have speed data and want to have cadence data:

[B]wheel diameter[distance]* Pi * cadence [revolutions/minute] * 60 [min/hr] = speed [distance/hr]
Sweet! Thanks Juggleaddict, that makes a lot of sense. And, being that I'm a huge nerd and proud of it, I couldn't help myself from making a chart showing expected velocity based on wheel diameter and pedaling cadence. Feel free to check my math, I'm more of an arm waver than a details guy.

Name:  WheelSize&Cadence2Speed.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  92.1 KB
Old 2016-05-04, 04:08 AM   #27
Geolojas
Unicyclist

Based on the chart in my previous post, I can average about 70rpm over an entire ride, and my top speed of about 8 mph means that my maximum cadence is somewhere between 110 and 120.

That top speed is really into the red zone too. Its usually on accident, and if I manage to recover from going this fast, its just barely. I've been reading the current "tips for riding fast" thread too, and I've been trying for speed in short bursts in an attempt to control it.

I had a fun moment on tonight's ride too. Riding past the park I saw a friend sitting at one of the tables so I turned to say "Hi". I didn't dismount while we chatted briefly, just rode some tight turns around the picnic table. As I was riding off I realized that the turns were not awkward, jerky turns that I often use, but smooth turns that I pedaled through while leaning in. YEAH! It pays to be distracted sometimes... until I'm daydreaming, miss a pothole, and go sprawling.
Old 2016-05-04, 10:31 AM   #28
sukie47
One is enough

Fantastic! Like you said, the best moments! I think you're right about being distracted. It gives the body and brain a chance to just do what it now knows how to do. We just have to get out of the way sometimes.
Old 2016-05-06, 06:07 PM   #29
Geolojas
Unicyclist

A new wheel!

Thereís a new addition to my uni family!

I recently purchased a no-name unicycle for sale locally. It had a bent hub, but the price was right and the rest of the parts were in great shape. I ended up completely disassembling the wheel and then rebuilding it around the basic UDC CroMo hub. Itís not quite a bulletproof trials uni, but itíll be perfect for playing out front and focusing on some skills.

Here she is:
Name:  New20Uni_small.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  75.4 KB

And hereís a close up of my new wheel:
Name:  Wheelbuild_small.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  85.5 KB

Hereís the family photo. AwwwwÖ I just love sibling photos. These both have fairly distinct roles, so I donít expect there to be much in the way of jealous rivalry.
Name:  Siblings_small.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  61.3 KB

Some impressions now that Iíve ridden the thing:
First off, I think a 20Ē unicycle set for a 6í2Ē guy looks kinda silly; Iíll probably end up lowering the seat a bit from what I have here, but I have to cut a couple more inches off the seatpost. Second off, the seat is significantly less than what I call ďcomfortableĒ, so Iíll probably be replacing that soon as well.

I was able to freemount and ride right away, but wow does it feel different from my 24Ē! I feel much closer to the ground, and the wheel feels like itís not even there when Iím turning and maneuvering. The cranks are 5Ē, which is the same as what I have on my Club, but I find itís easier to pedal at higher cadence with the smaller wheel, and this is great because lately I have been trying to increase and smooth out my cadence. Maybe it has to do the overall speed being a bit slower for a given cadence? Iím very curious to see if the faster cadence can translate back to my larger wheel.

Building the wheel was fun. This was my first wheel build, and it took me a few tries to get it laced up correctly, but once I got the pattern sorted out everything went smoothly. I didnít hear any pops or pings during my first ride, and everything has stayed straight and true so far.
Old 2016-05-07, 01:12 AM   #30
sukie47
One is enough

Yay! That is awesome! I have a feeling your family is going to continue to grow I've been practicing on my 20" here and there. It feels so different. The guy who sold it to me was quite tall, so I was surprised to find that I feel very comfortable on it. I have a feeling the saddles are supposed to be a bit lower. But, that makes my knees crazy, so for now, I'm leaving mine as is. Good for you for your first wheel build. Have fun!

Tags
moments, muni, newbie, off road, skills, success