Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-05-08, 06:24 PM   #31
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukie47 View Post
I have a feeling the saddles are supposed to be a bit lower. But, that makes my knees crazy, so for now, I'm leaving mine as is.
So, you haven't removed any length from the seat-post? You said you've practiced idling, but can you ride forward with the seat at its current height? If so, your seat height might be okay.

My own seat-height ended up being way higher than I initially thought was possible. A few weeks ago, I experimented with lowering the seat a bit on my mUni, and I hated it. So, in my experience, once I got used to a higher seat, I didn't like going back. My technique changed, however, to accommodate the increased seat height. My hips flex more at the bottom of each pedal stroke, and it feels more like I'm reaching for the pedals at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions. The position of my feet on the pedals has shifted more toward the toes (which has helped a lot with control). I use plastic pedals on my 20" which are pretty easy to adjust the foot on.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-02, 04:24 PM   #32
Geolojas
Unicyclist

More rambling... Unicycle group?

Hey All! Yup, unicycles still rock. I have experienced so many benefits since I learned to ride in January, and considering I bought my first unicycle as a lark, most of them were completely unanticipated.
Here’s an attempt at a summary:

• Unicycling has whipped me into some semblance of shape. My job used to be physically demanding and did a good job of keeping me fit, but five years ago I changed jobs and we had our first child, and these two things led to me becoming more of a potted plant. I have always hated excercising, but I LOVE being active. Unicycling lets me step out my front door and raise my heart rate for a while doing something I love. Since learning in January I ride a total of 6-15 miles in 3-5 rides per week. On my 24” wheel, I can now cruise comfortably at 6-8mph. This has lowered my blood pressure, lowered my resting heart rate, added significant muscle to my core and legs, and dropped my overall weight by 12 lbs.

• I have had lower back pain since an injury in 2006. Amazingly, that has all but disappeared since I started riding. I’m sure this has to do with stronger back and abdominal muscles. My wife tells me that my whole body looks different.

• Unicycling makes me happy, not just in the sense that I love doing it, but in the sense that runner’s high is a very real thing. I feel like I could go forever and I never want to stop, even when I become exhausted and start doing the fore-aft wobble. The concentration required pushes out everything else and I end every ride with a big grin.

• My favorite benefit has to do with my five year old son. He is a stud and he learned to ride his bike without training wheels right before his fourth birthday. He could ride, but he hadn’t really mastered some of the finer points and had become a little discouraged. He was intrigued when I got the unicycle, and he came out and watched the whole learning process (fail. fail. fail. fail. fail. fail. fail. fail. fail. fail. fail. WIN!!) and it seemed to make quite an impression on him. It was great for him to see me fail at something so dramatically and publicly, and then persevere till I could do it. While he was watching me learn he would ride his bike around and ended up mastering its basics. Now my challenge is to keep up with him as I chase him down the bike trail.

I love muni, and I did not expect to be doing much road or bike trail riding when I started. However, in light of all the time I’m spending chasing my son on the bike trail, I decided to get a bigger wheel. I snapped up a Torker AX 29” on C-list and I could not be happier. It is the perfect uni for this purpose. It feels super fast, and because of its all alloy components, it weighs in at only 11.6lbs! Of course, I need a slightly longer seatpost, especially if I want to swap in shorter cranks, and this can be a problem on this particular unicycle since it has a weird 26.8mm diameter seat tube and a non-standard seat. I ended up ordering a seat post shim to step the tube down to a 25.4mm, so we’ll see how that works. At some point, I might put on a narrower slick tire and try that. That, and shorter cranks, could potentially bring the overall weight down very close to 11lbs. I’m finding the 29” to be quite an adjustment after being used to a 24”. I’m not very efficient riding it yet, and currently it is kicking my butt. Here's a photo of me with the UniFamily: Name:  FamilyPhoto.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  197.8 KB

Here’s something else weird. I am now a co-organizer of the Sacramento Unicycle Meetup Group. I am something of an unapologetic introvert, and this is way out of character for me, but I can’t resist the urge to meet some other local riders. So far we’ve had a meet and greet to hang out and work on skills, and I’ve scheduled another one of those as well as a trail ride along the levee in the upcoming weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions as to fun things to do with a group (3-4) unicycles of various skills? If any of you are in the Sacramento area and want to come out to a meetup, we’d love to see you.

Here’s a link to the group: http://www.meetup.com/Sacramento-Unicycle-Club/

Thanks for letting me ramble everybody.
Keep rolling!
Old 2016-06-02, 09:14 PM   #33
sukie47
One is enough

What a great update Thank you. Let us know how the Meet Up thing goes. I have talked to a couple of people about doing the same thing here. I'm also fairly introverted and would never think to something like this...except in this situation. Anyway, thanks for putting into words your experience. As I can't ride right now, it put a big smile on my face to think about what I have to look forward to again
Old 2016-06-29, 10:43 PM   #34
Geolojas
Unicyclist

Swapped Cranks = Two New Unicycles

I learned to ride on my 24” wheel which had 125mm cranks, and when I purchased my 20” wheel, it also came with 125mm cranks, so I’ve gotten very used to spinning this crank length. When I got my 29” wheel, it came with 150mm cranks, and these felt really different.
I was having a hard time spinning the longer cranks on my 29”, plus I like to take my 24” wheel off-road, so I decided to swap the cranks, putting the 125mm on the 29” and the 150mm on the 24”. I now find the 29” wheel much easier to ride, but the longer cranks on the 24” make it feel like a totally different machine. This is a little unsettling because the 24” has always been my most comfortable, go-to wheel. I’m having a particularly hard time climbing with the longer cranks; as soon as I stand on the pedals everything goes out of whack.

I expected to feel a difference in the amount of torque generated at the hub, and this is noticeable, but I’ve adjusted to that pretty quickly. I did not anticipate such a difference in feel due to pedaling in larger circles, and this is proving to be more of an issue.

I assume this is just something that takes getting used to, but does anyone have any suggestions for getting used to different length cranks?
Old 2016-06-30, 01:10 AM   #35
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

For long cranks, try keeping the seat higher; as I gradually raised my seat, I started extending my feet and my hips during the pedal rotation, which made spinning bigger circles easier. My cadence improved, even with longer cranks, after I started using bar ends on my unicycle; this stabilized my body on top of the unicycle, so I could spin bigger circles without throwing off my balance. Keep experimenting. I learned a lot of new technique after experimenting with crank length.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-30, 05:26 AM   #36
Geolojas
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
For long cranks, try keeping the seat higher; as I gradually raised my seat, I started extending my feet and my hips during the pedal rotation, which made spinning bigger circles easier. My cadence improved, even with longer cranks, after I started using bar ends on my unicycle; this stabilized my body on top of the unicycle, so I could spin bigger circles without throwing off my balance. Keep experimenting. I learned a lot of new technique after experimenting with crank length.
I'll give raising my seat a try, I did lower it a little when I did the swap. While its a little frustrating, it's also exciting because it definitely feels like something I can learn from as I spend more time with it. Same with the different size wheels. I feel like I learn something new whenever I spend quality time on my 20".

Tags
moments, muni, newbie, off road, skills, success