Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-01-04, 12:14 AM   #61
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Found this looking through my old threads, and interested to see all the updates I've not read before. Time for another revival, because after almost 5 years I've finally bought a uni for my kids! Not for my oldest who was then 5 and now almost 10 though, but for my youngest who is now 7 1/2.

My oldest son has never really had enough motivation and dedication to keep trying at something which would take a long time to learn, and whilst he was interested back then, when his little brother suggested he could have a go he said he didn't want to, so I think a good decision not to get him one. My youngest though is much better at trying out new things and doesn't give up so easily - but most important he's been wanting to sit on my unis for a while and obviously really keen. Reading all the replies it seems he's also about the right age - I've got him a 16 which he needs the saddle right down on. I'm also encouraged that other kids didn't just get on and ride - we're not making such bad progress then, after just over a week (yeah, it was a Christmas pressie) he was managing 20m rides with me holding onto one of his arms today and I can feel him starting to understand the balance.

Hopefully he'll keep up the practice, though it's going to be a bit tougher as they're back to school tomorrow. Motivation is still good though - had to work on him a bit to go out today, but he was also really happy afterwards and keen to do more tomorrow.
Old 2017-01-04, 10:27 AM   #62
Alucard
Unicyclist

Hey ! Great
Mini-aracer
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-04, 05:59 PM   #63
JustOneWheel
Every One Should Ride One

Anything is possible

I started my kids at 2 1/2

http://justonewheel.com/our-company/our-youngest-rider/
Old 2017-01-05, 08:53 AM   #64
rrurban
Unicyclist

My 6 and 8 year old boys both ride muni with me, do hops, ride backwards, and the 8 year old has even mastered 720s and rail grinds.

Coming back to reality for a bit.. they are still trying to mount and balance but always lose interest quickly. What I've found that keeps them interested is to allow them to practice in the basement on flattened cardboard boxes. The key at a young age is to keep them interested longer than 23 seconds and give them big kudos for one rev, two revs, etc. Make a game out of it. Focus on the revs to start, that seems to work for the kids
Nimbus II 26 Muni conversion
rrurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-15, 01:50 AM   #65
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Woo, I was trying to wait to post until he really could ride properly, but just can't resist! So 10 days after my last post (during which time he's been sick and didn't ride for 3 or 4 days), today he rode to the tree at the end of the paved area we're practising on - I reckon about 12 pedal revs on his 16. He made it there 4 times in total. It took me about 10 days of launching into space to get that far when I learned, he's only been launching off and riding by himself for 3 days. Maybe not quite riding in control yet, but he's so close it seems likely to only be a matter of a few days before he can genuinely claim to be able to ride.

As discussed by many others and as I mentioned myself earlier, the key seems to be motivation and persistence, both qualities which he seems to have loads of, though he's surprised me by just how persistent and motivated he's been. The first day back at school he threw up in assembly, and on the way home after picking him up he asked if we were going to be able to practice riding when we got home (no, we didn't!) The last few days he's had a few painful falls, but after a quick cry and a hug he's just got back on. Today I suggested maybe it was time to go in after making it to the tree the 3rd time, but he was determined to carry on. Feeling a very proud dad - not so much for the riding (though I'm obviously rather proud of that), but for the qualities he's showing.
Old 2017-01-15, 05:07 AM   #66
Sillycontraption
unicyclist

Congratulations Aracer! Soon you will be riding all over together. Bigger wheels are easier to ride. Cut the frame down on a cheap 20 as soon as he can ride any real distance. He will find the 20 way more fun to ride. I love riding with my boys (8 and 10).

Matt
Old 2017-01-15, 11:42 PM   #67
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillycontraption View Post
Cut the frame down on a cheap 20 as soon as he can ride any real distance.
Exactly what I was thinking - though he's not that big for his age, so the seatpost is right down on the 16 (it would go a little lower if shortened), and it seems I'd have to take a lot off the frame on a 20 at the moment. Hopefully going to a localish unicycle club in a few weeks - so will see how he fits on the smallest they have (my 19 is a long neck, so he's nowhere near fitting on it).

Today's riding:

Last edited by aracer; 2017-01-15 at 11:44 PM.
aracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-16, 10:13 AM   #68
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustOneWheel View Post
I love the shot of the four year old on a four foot giraffe.

Going for the one foot per year upwards?
Old 2017-01-17, 08:25 PM   #69
Sillycontraption
unicyclist

He is doing great! I have cut down frames on several unis for my boys. All you need is 2" of frame and we have 6 or 8 seatposts of different lengths for swaping out as the boys grow. Look for the cheapest isis frame to cut down for your trials or it may be cheaper to buy a whole used torker or club 20. Remember you need a uni of similar wheel size for you to ride with him. I have a 8 and 10 year old and we have 2 20's, 2 19's, 2 24's, and a 26 for the boys to ride. The 10 year old is just now tall enough for a nightfox. I'm going to have to talk to momma about that!

Tags
kids, starting, unis