Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2010-08-10, 06:43 PM   #16
rolandisimo
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainuni1 View Post
Ro, Thanks for validating the UNI behind the jogging stroller concept. I have an 18 Mo old daughter, who loves the stroller, but wifey thinks it's too dangerous to ride behind. I'd argue the point of being more nimble on one wheel than most are on 2 feet. I've ridden more than a few times with no kid in front and seems like a no brainer ( a runaway leash on the wrist of course) Your thoughts?
Uni + stroller combination is fun and easy and safe. Plus it gets even more looks and compliments, 'you win the dad of the year award' was my favorite. What would be unsafe about it? Steering and braking are straight forward, just don't go too fast on a hill or anything and you're fine.

Ro
rolandisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-10, 07:27 PM   #17
scott ttocs
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainuni1 View Post
Ro, Thanks for validating the UNI behind the jogging stroller concept. I have an 18 Mo old daughter, who loves the stroller, but wifey thinks it's too dangerous to ride behind. I'd argue the point of being more nimble on one wheel than most are on 2 feet. I've ridden more than a few times with no kid in front and seems like a no brainer ( a runaway leash on the wrist of course) Your thoughts?
Do you have other children? Would it be easy to replace the kid in the event of an unfortunate accident?
scott ttocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-10, 09:08 PM   #18
Igor
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandisimo View Post
Uni + stroller combination is fun and easy and safe.
I've ridden my 20" while pushing my two year old on her trike. The balance felt a bit weird, there is too much forward lean. She loved it though
Igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 03:10 AM   #19
Mountainuni1
Unicyclist

Send a message via Yahoo to Mountainuni1
The non-verbal looks

I was more thinking about the non-verbal looks of the "Irresponsible Dad". Does it conjure up thoughts like that or just in my head?
Mountainuni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 04:30 AM   #20
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor View Post
The question is if it is humanly possible to ride fast enough on a 26" with 125s to keep up with a 16" kids bike
Yes. I used to be able to go 17 mph on a 24" with 125s. Not that I would want to do it for minutes at a time. But in any case, there's the inevitable difference in riding pattern between adult unicyclist and small child on bike. It's not going to be easy to combine the unicycle with the bike while trying to protect her from traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniShark View Post
Nonetheless, I now ride regularly with all three kids on dirt xc trails, one of them also on a uni.
That brings up the good point of eliminating the cars from your rides. Probably not very convenient, but could be a ton of fun when you have time for it. Otherwise, maybe you have some courts or other low-traffic streets around the neighborhood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4umfreak View Post
He also has a bad habit of slamming on his brakes to stop and look at random 'stuff' that might be on the path or sidewalk.
While I haven't landed on him yet, it's bound to happen sooner or later.
Only if you keep riding directly behind him. Try a little off to the side.

This is equally true when riding with other unicycles. Though a group of experienced racers can cruise a mean paceline, for everyone else, riding directly behind someone, especially on uneven terrain, often gets messy.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 05:52 AM   #21
Igor
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
That brings up the good point of eliminating the cars from your rides. Probably not very convenient, but could be a ton of fun when you have time for it. Otherwise, maybe you have some courts or other low-traffic streets around the neighborhood?
The car situation in the neighborhood is not that bad. We maybe have a car passing through every 7-10 minutes. My role is mostly to stick out on the uni where the cars can see me and slow down.

We used to go to a nearby tennis court earlier in the season when she still could not ride a bike and was practicing on her 16" unicycle. I was hoping she would figure out how to let go of the tennis net and ride on her own but she was way too scared of falling down. Now she only wants to ride her bike and does not mind falling at all. Kids are weird.

Last edited by Igor; 2010-08-11 at 05:53 AM.
Igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 05:36 PM   #22
Tak
Respiring Unicyclist

Quote:
The question is if it is humanly possible to ride fast enough on a 26" with 125s to keep up with a 16" kids bike
I regularly ride a 29" with 125s alongside an adult riding (at an admittedly leisurely pace) a regular "hybrid" bike.
At one point, a kid, maybe 10, in my neighborhood wanted to race (same unicycle). It was neck and neck after a block, although who knows, maybe he was taking it easy on the old guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4umfreak View Post
He also has a bad habit of slamming on his brakes to stop and look at random 'stuff' that might be on the path or sidewalk.
While I haven't landed on him yet, it's bound to happen sooner or later.
Don't worry, it's not only kids that have that habit...
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 05:53 PM   #23
knoxuni
wes style!!

Send a message via Skype™ to knoxuni
i ride with my sister on my unicycle until i gave her my old gt bmx race bike then i had to start riding my bike along with her. i looked down at my computer and we were going 20 and shes only 6
knoxuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 06:12 PM   #24
4umfreak
Unicyclist

Quote:
... My role is mostly to stick out on the uni where the cars can see me and slow down.
Ah, the "human pylon" trick. I use that one myself quite regularly!

Geagle Search Engine a unicyclist.com inspired search engine. (kh longneak vs shortbeak)
4umfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 03:02 AM   #25
unicycleharry
Unicyclist

3 days to practice on shorter cranks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I regularly ride a 29" with 125s alongside an adult riding (at an admittedly leisurely pace) a regular "hybrid" bike.
My friends and I are going to go biking. We are generally fit...since we are teenagers with, I hope, plenty of energy.
We went 50 miles last time, and though I just picked biking up again, I was totally ahead of them..(well, I slowed down a lot to go at same speed, but they still felt sore and nearly dead at the end while I wanted to ride some more)

It is generally a flat ride except for about a dozen or two dips under bridges (riding along the river)

We are going again with a few more friends...(they borrowed bikes just to go riding..so they are not in-shape and thus I am going to also lend my lighter bike so they won't have to struggle on heavy mtn and cruiser bikes). I am going to ride on my 29" uni, which I've had for almost two months, riding 125mm cranks.

Should I put on my shorter cranks(100mm) and practice for the next 3 days to be faster and be less tired on the ride? or do you think 3 days is not enough to get accustomed to the shorter cranks for there to be any benefits and I should thus just continue riding with 125mm[I cannot idle on either 125mm or 100mm cranks..I'm not very skilled]

I wish I had a 36" unicycle!!!

Last edited by unicycleharry; 2013-08-24 at 03:04 AM.
unicycleharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 03:10 AM   #26
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Definitely put on the 100s! Even on a not-as-flat ride they would probably be better than the 125s in the long run. Definitely fine on the flat ride you described.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 04:13 AM   #27
bnolsen
Unicyclist

Quote:

We used to go to a nearby tennis court earlier in the season when she still could not ride a bike and was practicing on her 16" unicycle. I was hoping she would figure out how to let go of the tennis net and ride on her own but she was way too scared of falling down. Now she only wants to ride her bike and does not mind falling at all. Kids are weird.
the tennis court net worked well? I have a 6 yr old I want to start on uni. she just started bicycle at the beginning of summer. I won't let my kids do training wheels I just remove the pedals, lower the seat and let them learn to balance and steer. my son who just turned 3 has a real balance bike and flies around with it.

this speed thread is quite awesome, BTW.
Old 2013-08-24, 05:59 AM   #28
unicycleharry
Unicyclist

okay!
thanks. Now I'll get out and ride a few hours for the next 3 days to keep up with those bikes
unicycleharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 03:22 PM   #29
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicycleharry View Post
okay!
thanks. Now I'll get out and ride a few hours for the next 3 days to keep up with those bikes
You'll definitely want the shorter cranks. It will be a challenge to keep up with even decently fast bikes for a long flat ride on a 29er. It probably won't be hard to get used to the shorter cranks on the flats; they'll probably feel scary going downhill.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, gain, gear ratio, keeping, kids, ratio, year