Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2010-01-08, 08:00 PM   #826
maestro8
is what it is

Old 2010-01-09, 04:19 AM   #827
BillyTheMountain
Happy Wal-Mart Employee

If they jail people cruelty to dogs, should they also jail for cruelty to cows?

Animal Equality
by Joan Dunayer

When I was writing Animal Equality, a friend questioned the book's title. Did I really mean to say that all animals are equal? Yes, I did. Like human equality, animal equality doesn't mean equal abilities. It means that all animals have an equal right to moral consideration and legal protection. And by "all animals" I mean all sentient beings, every creature who can feel. It's reasonable and right to treat any creature with a nervous system as sentient. Reasonable because of the shared ancestry and physiological similarities of all nervous systems. Reasonable because creatures with a nervous system act as if they feel. Right because we should give the benefit of the doubt when it comes to moral consideration. Because all beings who can feel need protection, all beings who can feel are entitled to rights. The sole criterion for rights should be sentience.
BillyTheMountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 04:31 AM   #828
wickedbob

I'm off, I think.

Not that I 'need' meat, but I'm starting up a new diet and eating plan that requires loads and loads of protein 275gram + per day. Can't some get them from sources that have carbs either.

I'm trying to Cut weight, and gain muscle.

I can be a vegetarian who only eats fish? Ha, I think I really could have done it, not that hard, but my quest for health, which brought be to vegetarianism has taken me else were to a carb cycling macro diet.
wickedbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 04:33 AM   #829
BillyTheMountain
Happy Wal-Mart Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbob View Post
I'm off, I think.

Not that I 'need' meat, but I'm starting up a new diet and eating plan that requires loads and loads of protein 275gram + per day. Can't some get them from sources that have carbs either.

I'm trying to Cut weight, and gain muscle.

I can be a vegetarian who only eats fish? Ha, I think I really could have done it, not that hard, but my quest for health, which brought be to vegetarianism has taken me else were to a carb cycling macro diet.
that's a pescatarian, not a vegetarian.

watch out for mercury and toxins, google it to decide what species you eat.
BillyTheMountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 04:36 AM   #830
wickedbob

I was joking Billy, and yes I know, meat is generally unhealthy, so when I can I will get my proteins from vegtables sources, but somedays now I can only get 25carbs, so I need massive protein to for sufficient calories.
wickedbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-07, 05:04 AM   #831
Matt_V
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by uni57 View Post
... why did you switch to vegetarianism?
As I grew up, I started to think about life more and more. I realized that I, just like every other human, didn't choose to be born as a human, just like animals didn't choose to be born as animals. I thought about how unfortunate it would be to have been born as an animal in a factory farm. I began to feel bad about supporting to industry, so I stopped.

Humans are high on the food chain, and the natural order of things suggests that we eat animals that are beneath us. There is nothing wrong with that, as we wouldn't even be here if life hadn't been eating other life for a long time. But I can survive just fine without killing and eating other living things, so that's what I do. I go on living, and so do they. We both get to continue enjoying life. I would like to eat them, but I don't think that me enjoying a delicious meal is more important than something staying alive.

Most humans seem very much okay with what goes on in factory farms. I think that this comes down to the fact that we deem ourselves as superior to animals since we are stronger and more intelligent. But there's no reason to think that the animals that we're killing and eating aren't also conscious beings. It is entirely possible for a species much stronger and more intelligent than humans to exist. If that were the case, would it be okay for them to factory farm humans for our body parts?

Also, becoming an Atheist played a large part in my decision. As a Christian, I was brought up to believe that we were superior to every living thing and had dominion over them.

Quote:
... how much research did you do before switching?
I did none.

Quote:
... do you feel better on this diet? Or the same?
I'm approaching 3 months and I feel the exact same. I haven't made any changes to my diet other than cutting out meat.

Quote:
... do you ever miss meat (like bacon)? I know I would.
I did very badly for the first month and a half or so. Whenever my roommates were frying sausages or bacon I would put my face up to the pan and take a deep breath, enjoying the aroma.

The cravings seem to be going away now though.
Matt_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-07, 05:23 AM   #832
scott ttocs
Unicyclist

Maestro,

What a refreshing viewpoint! I will share it with my vegan niece.

Scott
scott ttocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-07, 01:31 PM   #833
Calimero
Unicyclist

Well I hope my English won't be too bad, it's not so easy writing about that in a foreign language...

When I was maybe about 12 years old I started thinking why I do eat meat. But I didn't know how to explain my parents I want to become a vegetarian so I just ate less and less meat. And now I stopped eating meat at all. Maybe for 2 years now. And I don't feel different, it's just normal for me being a vegetarian. I can't imagine eating meat and I think even if I had to eat it, I couldn't. I think I watched too many of those videos about factory farming etc. Maybe I will try to become a vegan when I don't live at my parents' house any longer (I think they wouldn't accept that) I would really love to be but I'm not sure if I can be so consequent...

I think it's just totally mad to kill for having a nice food. There are some animals who can't live without meat but human beings can live without. But that's not the biggest problem I have with eating meat. I think even worse is how those animals have to live and die. I just can't imagine how humankind can be so cruel. And I think another reason why I'm vegetarian is: If I ate meat, I don't want to make a difference between different animals because killing a horse is not crueler than killing a pig. And I think I just couldn't eat horses or rabbits for example. And I think this is kind of racist: My pets at home live in quite big cages (they can never be big enough and keeping animals as pets isn't fair, too. But I only have animals from the animal shelter --> pets nobody wants to have) but it is ok if pigs or cows are killed for me. That's weird. Same as I can't watch animals being killed. So why should I eat them? Just because I look away the animals don't have to suffer less...
I hope that's understandable...

I don't want to persuade anybody to become a vegetarian, but I want people to know how their meat is produced. When they can eat it I'm sure they also can see how it's made...
Calimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-05, 05:40 AM   #834
Thumper uni
Unicyclist

I have been a lacto veg for approx 20-25 years for health and moral reasons I think if children actually saw a animal being slaughtered they would be horrified that is where there meat came from .
Old 2018-03-05, 05:29 PM   #835
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper uni View Post
I have been a lacto veg for approx 20-25 years for health and moral reasons I think if children actually saw a animal being slaughtered they would be horrified that is where there meat came from .
not necessarily if they were raised in a farm (or went fishing with adults).
Ok I have to confess: though I never killed a lamb myself I ate live oysters, boiled lobsters and killed trouts. Worse: I played music at bullfights !
Now the reason I am "flexitarian" is that I really love cooking vegetables and I am not fond of meat (except duck's meat ) but I eat a lot of fish ...
I would easily turn vegetarian but for pleasure not for moral reasons (I am a bad boy!)

Tags
appreciation, banmaestro, maestro8mustbebanned, maestromustbebanned, moaning, thread, unibikeling_asshole, vegetarian, veggiesupremacy, vegs'against'maestro'09!, wurst