Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-05-01, 06:46 PM   #1
municycling
Unicyclist

Schlumpf Hub - Freewheel While Hopping

On rare occasions, while hopping in place, my Schlumpf hub would go into freewheel. I would be hopping along fine and all of a sudden, the cranks slipped. When it happens, I would jump off so I can't tell whether if it freewheeled for a few degrees or completely. It happens so infrequently and randomly, I don't know how to troubleshoot it. Is that normal? Is it not recommended to hop on the Schulmpf hub?
municycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-01, 07:34 PM   #2
municycling
Unicyclist

Just to clarify, freewheel happens while hopping in 1:1.
Old 2018-05-01, 09:39 PM   #3
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Is there a chance you are hitting the shift button with your heel?
Old 2018-05-01, 10:06 PM   #4
DirtyPuddle
Unicycler

This quote is taken from the "Schlumpf hubs: General Discussion" thread. Sounds like Schlumpf hubs are prone to freewheeling issues (or at least your issue isn't the first).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrurban View Post

My hub failed about a month into it. It kept freewheeling while upshifting and I'd land flat on my back at 10 mph. Florian fixed it, like he always does, and I've got 1000 miles on it without issue. I am still cautious upshifting because of this, and tend to try upshifting too slow, which makes it harder. My opinion is that shifting into high gear is best done at 8-10 mph. Any slower and the 1/4 rev it takes to engage can cause a UPD. At higher speeds I don't notice it. Downshifting is so much easier at lower speeds. It's all about confidence and I think 8-10mph is the ideal upshifting range, 6-8mph is ideal for downshifting.
DirtyPuddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-01, 10:08 PM   #5
municycling
Unicyclist

For a while, I thought that was the case so I didn't think much about it until the last couple of times when it happened, I was certain that my right heel wasn't near the button.

By the way, other than occasionally freewheeling while hopping, my hub has been working perfectly since Silva Cycles installed it two years ago.
Old 2018-05-01, 10:13 PM   #6
municycling
Unicyclist

@DirtyPuddle, I'm fortunately that I don't have freewheeling issues while riding or shifting. My issue is only while hopping...and it's just occasional. I;m curious to know if anyone else had experienced it and whether it's not recommended to hop on a Schlumpf hub.
Old 2018-05-02, 05:07 AM   #7
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by municycling View Post
I;m curious to know if anyone else had experienced it and whether it's not recommended to hop on a Schlumpf hub.
If you have a different unicycle to do the hopping on, like a Trials, I'd recommend that. A wheel without Schlumpf will also be lighter; better for hopping! But your Schlumpf has a splined axle, and a KH logo on it, so it should be able to take quite a bit of abuse. Make sure your feet aren't getting into the buttons, and you're probably pretty safe.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-02, 06:18 AM   #8
municycling
Unicyclist

I'm pretty sure it happened when my heel is no where near the button. The purpose of my hopping is to just stay in place (i.e. waiting at a stop lights, waiting for other riders, etc.), not for trials. I'm hopping rapidly but only about 1/2" off the ground. Guess I'll have to practice to do long still stand instead.
Old 2018-05-03, 06:10 AM   #9
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Or you can do short stillstands. People new to hopping tend to bounce like a pogo stick, which isn't as good at "slow bouncing" due to the springy part of the hops. On a unicycle you can take your time, making just one hop every few seconds once you get situated.

As for me, I use traffic stops to "enhance my circulation". Generally, I'm spending plenty of time in the saddle anyway, and don't mind dismounting and mounting. Plus, if there's an audience of motorists or pedestrians, they usually appreciate seeing how I get back on. Or I just lean on a post if there is one, and ride away when the light changes.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freewheel, hop, hopping, hub, schlumpf, slip