Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Articles and Tutorials

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-03-29, 03:06 AM   #16
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
Sorry if I'm being dense, I'm really not sure how this is an issue...

If you take a Nimbus hub, and flip it over so the disc mount is on the 'wrong' side, are you not still able to mount the caliper right where it normally goes (Either on the KH frame's caliper mounts, or using a Nimbus d'brake, mounted to the wrong fork)? How would this result in the caliper being on the front?

I suppose there are also those M4O frames that have a caliper mount on each side...

Then your KH crank will be on its 'correct' side, and you can screw a bash guard into it.
The caliper is not ambidextrous. I think the only way your plan would work is to take an inboard mount frame like a Nimbus and turn it around so that the caliper is on the front right, with the rotor inboard. That would look funny but should work ok.
Old 2018-03-29, 04:45 AM   #17
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Don't do it. The calipers are not designed to withstand forces in this direction. While some may work, others will fail ...
We had that discussion more than often ...
03.06.2018: Europamarathon

Last edited by Eric aus Chemnitz; 2018-03-29 at 04:45 AM.
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-29, 08:21 AM   #18
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Hmm, can the caliper go upside-down?

And yes, at this point I'm being intentionally obtuse I still reckon the bash guards mounted to the frame (either as an extra bit under the caliper screws, or sandwiched between your bearing cups) would be the best bet, if you really wanted one. With the 'controversy' around discs in the pro peloton I can't imagine it'll be long before all the manufacturers are making them, and there's bound to be one that'll either work or be easily modifiable to fit on a uni!
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-29, 11:47 AM   #19
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Quote:
Hmm, can the caliper go upside-down?
Yes, but then it points again to it's original side You can turn it in any direction you like and as often as you like, but the mounting holes will still stay on the same side of the caliper, even if you close your eyes, shake it as fast as you can and say hokus-pokus ...
03.06.2018: Europamarathon

Last edited by Eric aus Chemnitz; 2018-03-29 at 11:47 AM.
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-29, 10:56 PM   #20
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!

It will be a while before I am unicycling with brakes. Not sure how much I will care for the external disk until I try it.

Sorry but these external bashguards look very in the way. Those teeth are definitley a no go. I think they should be fixed to the frame, non rotating.

Rim brakes are more out of the way, but I have read that they cause problems and dissatisfaction. In bike trials some prefer them, as they are simpler, lighter, but they want instant lock up, not so much as gradual controled resistance.

Human gyroscope in training.

Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-02, 02:29 PM   #21
caseytronic
Unicyclist

Quote:
I think I definitely prefer the one from Eric's pictures that are attached using the caliper posts, at least then they're not spinning!

EDIT:

If you've got your heart set on a spinning bash guard of doom, is there any reason you couldn't just attach one to the KH Spirit cranks (where the disc normally goes) but use an internal, hub-mounted disc brake, rather than having both attached to the crank? So get an Oracle or QX disc uni, but put KH cranks on, and use that crank to attach your bash guard.
HA! Now that you've dubbed it , "the spinning bash guard of doom", I have my heart doubly set on it. Whereas before, I was going to grind the teeth off of it, I might make them even more scary looking now.

I think you may have something about flipping the internal disc hub and using with a right-side KH mount, and then also using a disc on the crank as a guard. I'll try that and see if the caliper will line up.
caseytronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-04, 03:51 AM   #22
caseytronic
Unicyclist

Hmmm ... a quick look at the caliper confirms Eric's last posts (which I didn't read until now) - caliper will not line up on the right ride as it is asymmetrical (even after shaking it).

Oh well ... back to the bash guard of doom .... BWAHAHAHAHA!
Old 2018-04-10, 01:22 AM   #23
caseytronic
Unicyclist

Unicycle Spinning Disc Bashguard v2.2

So, as promised earlier, I have refined my SPinning Uni Disc BAshGuard (SPUDBAG); taking into consideration the variety of reactions to the 1st prototype.

So - for you safety oriented types, I have ground off the teeth and made a "safety model": The SPUDBAG-BB "Big Baby" model

Here are a few mock-up pics showing front a and side views which should clarify some of the questions about ankle clearance and q factor.

These were taken using a KH26 Frame, KH Moment Hub, and KH Spirit 125/150 cranks. The disc is 180mm - notice the guard is slightly smaller than the disc ( it is slightly larger than a 160mm disc). Caliper is a Shimano hydraulic SH-M486.

Note - I messed up in my earlier post - disc shown was a 160mm disc, not a 180mm.
Attached Images

Old 2018-04-10, 01:52 AM   #24
caseytronic
Unicyclist

Spudbag-dd

... and I also built a bashguard that truly lives up to the "Spinning BashGuard of Doom" title: The SPUDBAG-AD ("Amputator of Doom")

The SPUDBAG-AD model comes complete with tempered steel plate and carbide teeth. Capable of destroying any plant, animal or mineral that even thinks about bending your disc!

Adopt this technology at your own risk ...
Attached Images

Old 2018-04-28, 04:14 AM   #25
caseytronic
Unicyclist

Failed Prototype for Frame Mounted Internal Disc Bash Guard

Failed Prototype for Frame Mounted Internal Disc Bash Guard:

Easy to build but not stiff enough where it mounts to the frame.

I am showing this so others might learn/improve on it.

I came up with an idea for a frame mounted bash guard that was easy and cheap to make from a length of flat aluminum from the hardware store.

It mounts (on a nimbus) into the narrow gap between the bottom bearing cap and the frame where the bolts go through.

In the end the mounting was not stiff enough to make this design work. the aluminum strip was too flexible and easily touched the disc if side pressure was applied. May be this design can be improved to work.

How to build for 180mm Disc:
- Materials: 1 inch / 25mm wide flat aluminum strip (670mm length min)

- at 70mm down the aluminum strip, bend the strip roughly to a right angle

- Bend aluminum to wrap around 1/2 of the circumference of the brake disc

- Bend at a right angle so it lines up with the 70 mm end of the strip.

- Line up the the bearing cap and cut it so it will overlap the bolt holes but not the bearing (both straight sections should be about 70mm).

- Drill holes through the aluminum that match the bolt holes in the bearing cap

- Cut 2 120mm sections of aluminum. Bend them to overlap the main aluminum piece.

- Drill holes in the main piece and 120mm sections.

- Attach the 2 sections to the main piece with bolts and nuts.

Note: Pictures of mounted guard are over a 160mm disc
Attached Images

Tags
bash, bash guard, brakes, disc, disc brake, guards, mountainuni, unicycle