Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-12-01, 09:03 AM   #1
Fatlazypig
Unicyclist

Schlumpf hub servicing

So my Guni is on it's way by courier as I write this. So excited

My question is, I have been reading all the posts on this website about troubleshooting hubs and adjusting the shift buttons etc.

I have a very very basic tool kit, and work space, and certainly no torque wrenches.
I feel a little apprehensive about doing simple things like switching tires, for fear of breaking it.
Do I need to be worries. How likely am I to break my beautiful unicycle, doing basic hinges with the uni.

Should I invest in a set of fancy tools torque wrench and all.
Or will I be ok with normal tools and care?

I'm not looking to take it apart and rebuild it, just change a tire, maybe change cranks later on
Fatlazypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 12:46 PM   #2
Alan Hogan
The Highland unicyclist

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatlazypig View Post
So my Guni is on it's way by courier as I write this. So excited

My question is, I have been reading all the posts on this website about troubleshooting hubs and adjusting the shift buttons etc.

I have a very very basic tool kit, and work space, and certainly no torque wrenches.
I feel a little apprehensive about doing simple things like switching tires, for fear of breaking it.
Do I need to be worries. How likely am I to break my beautiful unicycle, doing basic hinges with the uni.

Should I invest in a set of fancy tools torque wrench and all.
Or will I be ok with normal tools and care?

I'm not looking to take it apart and rebuild it, just change a tire, maybe change cranks later on
Yes get the Torque wrenches...... I have 2.. a light one for the caps (5-6nm) and a medium weight for the crank bolts (I set them to 50nm)...... I also use a soft mallet to force the the cranks on. It is worth rechecking the crank bolts every month as they do come loose. BTW the M6 hex in the crank bolt strips easily, is a nightmare to get out if it does and very expensive!!! so get a good quality hex bit and replace the bolt with a new one as soon as you see any wear in the hex
Alan Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 01:27 PM   #3
MuniOrBust
show me the muni!

Definitely get the torque wrenches.
After stripping the head on one crank bolt, I now take more care. Wipe off the hex bit, and put pressure over the torque wrench to keep it seated.

I have a rubber mallet to seat the cranks, but when it's not handy I settle for a small piece of wood.
MuniOrBust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 01:41 PM   #4
Alan Hogan
The Highland unicyclist

Crank setting bolt

I posted a while about the stripping bolt. Some people suggest using a drilled out normal crank bolt to get the tension on the the crank first then take it out to put the schlumpf bolt in.

Personally I found it easier to use the rubber mallet on the crank and work up the torques 10nm at a time giving it a good knock between torques
Old 2011-12-01, 01:46 PM   #5
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
After stripping the head on one crank bolt
This is not due to lacking a torque wrench, but to using the wrong bolt to tighten the cranks. Use a rubber mallet to set the crank on a well greased spline, then use a standard isis bolt to torque the cranks onto the hub, then switch bolts to the Schlumpf and retorque.

The high torque "risk" is in overtightening the bearing holder and damaging the bearing. You can torque by hand if you're are not a gorilla. Go to your LBS and have them do it first so you know how tight is enough. In general, I go hand tight and if the bearing slips I go a little tighter, no problems. I avoid removing the wheel in general.

In terms of keep the hub clean, the biggest thing I notice in the wider hubs with teh dust shields is the lack of clearance tends to make it harder to clean out the greasy dirt from between the hub and frame. It's so tight that a single sheet of paper is all that will fit, so I use a sheet of paper to clean that space.

Personally, I don't ride the guni in wet weather or wet conditions, it's just to expensive and hard to clean, but the folks that do seem to have few problems since the delicate parts are internally located.

Other than that, enjoy your hub.

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2011-12-01 at 01:50 PM.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 02:04 PM   #6
Alan Hogan
The Highland unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
This is not due to lacking a torque wrench, but to using the wrong bolt to tighten the cranks. Use a rubber mallet to set the crank on a well greased spline, then use a standard isis bolt to torque the cranks onto the hub, then switch bolts to the Schlumpf and retorque.

The high torque "risk" is in overtightening the bearing holder and damaging the bearing. You can torque by hand if you're are not a gorilla. Go to your LBS and have them do it first so you know how tight is enough. In general, I go hand tight and if the bearing slips I go a little tighter, no problems. I avoid removing the wheel in general.

In terms of keep the hub clean, the biggest thing I notice in the wider hubs with teh dust shields is the lack of clearance tends to make it harder to clean out the greasy dirt from between the hub and frame. It's so tight that a single sheet of paper is all that will fit, so I use a sheet of paper to clean that space.

Personally, I don't ride the guni in wet weather or wet conditions, it's just to expensive and hard to clean, but the folks that do seem to have few problems since the delicate parts are internally located.

Other than that, enjoy your hub.
LOL...... where I am from I dont get the choice not to ride in the wet ................. yes its possible to tighten things without using a torque wrench, but I think its better to if you are nervous about it .......................BTW the new hub is pretty wide, I found even after I filed the frame to give the 1mm clearance after 1k riding the dust cover would pop out (I presume the oil getting warm and pushing some air out) and would still rubb on the clamps...... I just filed it a little more and it was fine
Old 2011-12-01, 04:48 PM   #7
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
BTW the new hub is pretty wide
Yeah, I'd go further and say TOO WIDE, but who ever listens to me

I think it's time for a new hub standard, 100mm just ain't enough any more to accomodate all the bells and whistles, geared hub, disc brakes, longer splines, etc...

Another 20mm, 120mm spacing, would be a nice start, on par with the Nimbus disc hubs.

As it sits now, KH will need to redesign the bearing holders/frame welding to provide sufficient spacing for the new Schlumpf hub, filing at home ain't gonna cut it, the legs are too close and aggressive filing will weaken the weld.

I think the Nimbus hubs have more clearance...
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 04:57 PM   #8
scott ttocs
Unicyclist

I agree with everyone else: get torque wrenches. I am using the Park torque wrenches and am reasonably happy with them. I got a Wiha torque wrench especially to set the 2 Nm torque in the shift-button screw.

Good luck with your new unicycle!

Scott
scott ttocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 05:43 PM   #9
Alan Hogan
The Highland unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
Yeah, I'd go further and say TOO WIDE, but who ever listens to me

I think it's time for a new hub standard, 100mm just ain't enough any more to accomodate all the bells and whistles, geared hub, disc brakes, longer splines, etc...

Another 20mm, 120mm spacing, would be a nice start, on par with the Nimbus disc hubs.

As it sits now, KH will need to redesign the bearing holders/frame welding to provide sufficient spacing for the new Schlumpf hub, filing at home ain't gonna cut it, the legs are too close and aggressive filing will weaken the weld.

I think the Nimbus hubs have more clearance...

Yup..... it would be really nice to have a disc brake built on to the hub itself and still have the ability to swap cranks
Old 2011-12-01, 07:47 PM   #10
JBAB
Unicyclist

Fatlazypig wrote

When we are apprehensive about switching tires, our skill levels and mechanical experience are not going to allow one to do more difficult tasks well. I certainly also recommend the torque wrenches, but it sounds like Fatlazypig is much better off having his unicycle serviced rather than servicing it himself. The place to improve mechanical rebuilding, fixing skills, is on cheap disposable items.
JBAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 08:48 PM   #11
scotthue
10k & Marathon World Champ

Send a message via Skype™ to scotthue
NOOOOOOO!!!! Please do not make the hub any wider. Racing with the wider (120mm) hub is extremely uncomfortable for me. There is a reason that the two dedicated track racing unicycles (Nimbus and Qu-ax) have hubs that are even thinner than the 100mm standard. I do agree that the newest hub is a little bit too wide. My frame is powder-coated and that little extra thickness on the bearing holders was too much, I not only had to file the welds but actually in the inside of the bearing holders a bit.
scotthue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 01:01 AM   #12
Fatlazypig
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAB View Post
Fatlazypig wrote

When we are apprehensive about switching tires, our skill levels and mechanical experience are not going to allow one to do more difficult tasks well. I certainly also recommend the torque wrenches, but it sounds like Fatlazypig is much better off having his unicycle serviced rather than servicing it himself. The place to improve mechanical rebuilding, fixing skills, is on cheap disposable items.

Yes
My thoughts are at this stage to get the tools some good quality hex bits. And the torque wrenches. But limit myself to changes of tire

To take the wheel off I just need to take off the bearing covers ( is that the rigt word) then not crush the bearing when replacing ( use of torque wrench here)

Then get it serivced ? Monthly? To check cranks etc at LBS. As I get more
used to things may do more myself but I do want to be able to switch out 1 tire for another

Does this sound reasonable?
Fatlazypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 02:39 AM   #13
napalm
Because i can.

I honestly don't think torque wrenches are necessary- if you know what you are doing you can get away without them. In fact, because the tolerances with cranks and such vary quite a bit (even among the KH moments) they can lead to nasty situations. I've seen people push their cranks on their schlumpf axle to the point where they hit the frame in search of their torque wrench's 'click'.

A few important points have been touched on in this thread though- use a standard 8mm KH crank bolt to seat the crank- and then replace it with a moderately locktight-ed schlumpf bolt. The schlumpf bolts can strip- so don't use them for the heavy tightening work.

Make sure you clean out all the dirt/mud from your tiny shifter button grub screw before trying to adjust it. If that gets stripped- you are f@#ed.

Don't crush your bearings with the bearing caps. Firm will do- if your knurled bearing slips, then you know to give it another 1/4 turn.

Hope it goes well for you!

Mark

ps: Nurseben- Considering how much your opinion on gear has changed as your riding has developed- I don't think you could honestly expect major manufacturers to alter their designs on your latest whim. The 100mm spacing is fine- KH is releasing outboard disc brakes next year so there is no need to make it wider. I'm sure the frame rub situation will be rectified in the newest batch of frames.

http://www.markandhisunicycle.wordpress.com
napalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 02:46 AM   #14
GizmoDuck
Adventure Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthue View Post
NOOOOOOO!!!! Please do not make the hub any wider. Racing with the wider (120mm) hub is extremely uncomfortable for me. There is a reason that the two dedicated track racing unicycles (Nimbus and Qu-ax) have hubs that are even thinner than the 100mm standard. I do agree that the newest hub is a little bit too wide. My frame is powder-coated and that little extra thickness on the bearing holders was too much, I not only had to file the welds but actually in the inside of the bearing holders a bit.
+1

The only reason for a wider hub is to make a stronger 36" that does not flex (causing brake rub on a rim brake). Seems less reason for that now with disc brakes
GizmoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 02:49 AM   #15
GizmoDuck
Adventure Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by napalm View Post
I honestly don't think torque wrenches are necessary- if you know what you are doing you can get away without them. In fact, because the tolerances with cranks and such vary quite a bit (even among the KH moments) they can lead to nasty situations. I've seen people push their cranks on their schlumpf axle to the point where they hit the frame in search of their torque wrench's 'click'.
I've been doing without one so far, but a lot of it is coming down to guesswork, and there isn't much room for error. I notice that the shifting seems to be affected by how tight you've clamped the bearings or the cranks on. Another example was when I overtightened the grub screw in the buttons- took a lot of headscratching to come up with a way to remove them.

I think I'll see if I can pick up a torque wrench cheaply online- they all seem way expensive.

Last edited by GizmoDuck; 2011-12-02 at 02:50 AM.
GizmoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hub, schlumpf, servicing