Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-05-23, 06:29 PM   #16
HeathyCopie
Unicyclist

bad habit

Hi all... my 1st post...

I`m 48 and have been riding unis since I was 14... BUT very occasionally..

My family now have a 16" 2X20" 24" 26" 36" and a KH29" in the post... Point of my post is... dont be lazy as I have obviously been and learn the correct way to freemount....

Since my first unicycle I have freemounted by holding onto the tyre and I still do.. I really struggle to mount without using the top of the tyre Yes it works for me 99% of the time but 100% of the times I get dirty hands lol.... My 3 kids 12 16 and 19 can all freemount properly and enjoy doing it just to frustrate me.. lol..... Dont give up...
HeathyCopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-23, 06:40 PM   #17
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathyCopie View Post
Since my first unicycle I have freemounted by holding onto the tyre and I still do...
That's a really useful mount for shorter riders of the 36" wheel. It's not a wrong mount : P but it would be funny to see on a small wheel.
Old 2016-05-23, 09:24 PM   #18
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

I learnt to freemount using the tyre grab method mentioned above a week or two after I learned to ride (it took me about 2 weeks solid to learn to ride). Yep, that was on a 20" wheel, so involved a lot of bending over, but it worked.

I used that method mainly for a month or two - by which point I'd learnt to do a proper static mount, though I carried on using the tyre grab for a while after I'd learnt that as I succeeded at it more consistently. IIRC I went back to the tyre grab for a little bit after I got my first bigger wheel - a 26er. FWIW I was 41yo when I learned that.

HeathyCopie - you just need to give it a proper try. I found that moving on to a normal static mount was mainly a question of mental attitude once I'd got the tyre grab, though Unigeezer has a video which helped me a lot:

Last edited by aracer; 2016-05-23 at 09:25 PM.
aracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-23, 10:27 PM   #19
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Hi HeathyCopie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathyCopie View Post
My family now have a 16" 2X20" 24" 26" 36" and a KH29" in the post...
One, two, three, ..., seven unicycles for the family. That's barely average for some of us in single-unicyclist households. It's very cool that you're all riding. That has to be a lot of fun.

Quote:
Dont give up...
Nope, that's the main thing! Hope to see you around the forum some more and hear more about your riding adventures.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-24, 11:06 PM   #20
monocyclism
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
How long did it take you and how good of a unicyclist were you at that point?
I learnt to unicycle from my 60th birthday. I bought a 24" to learn. I made videos of my learning curve. Here is the one relevant to the topic of this thread. I was 61 years old when I made the video. Two years this after I rode my first 100 miles in a day on a unicycle.

https://vimeo.com/2749823

Last edited by monocyclism; 2016-05-24 at 11:07 PM.
monocyclism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-24, 11:45 PM   #21
sukie47
One is enough

I started learning to free mount beside tennis nets. The net being beside me helped me feel more confident. If I did need it for stability, I still had to work to balance since the net moved around and didn't offer 100% support. It worked well for me, but I'm shorter. A tall person might be prone to flip over it.
Old 2016-05-25, 02:46 PM   #22
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

It took me several weeks(5 to 6 weeks I think) to learn how to free-mount on a 24", and by this I mean the standard static mount. I learned to unicycle in November of 2015, and was already riding as much as 6 miles while still struggling with free-mounting. The first few weeks of learning to free-mount were very frustrating. I would go through dozens of failed attempts before a successful free-mount.

Learning to unicycle can often be a mysterious process; sometimes when you think you're making no progress whatsoever or are even getting worse when it comes to a new skill, all of sudden you've got it and it just feels natural.

Learning to idle even for just a few cycles gave me a significant boost with free-mounting. I learned to idle for no more than 10 cycles and my free-mounting ability improved to somewhere around 95% on the first try shortly thereafter.

Almost 2 months ago I purchased a 29" Nimbus unicycle and it took just a week or 2 to be able to free-mount most of the time(60% to 75%). Over the past 2 weeks my free-mounting with the 29" has improved to about 95% on the first try, though I still struggle sometimes if I am very tired. I shocked myself last week when I was able to free-mount on my 29" going up a steep incline. Most of the time I can't free-mount on this hill.

Last edited by Acrorebel; 2016-05-25 at 02:48 PM.
Acrorebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-25, 02:58 PM   #23
pstrick
Unicyclist

It took me months to learn to freemount consistently. Hang in there it comes with effort and everyone learns at a different rate!
Old 2016-05-25, 06:49 PM   #24
bank5
Unicyclist

Another question I have is do you hold the saddle as you freemount? It seems like the tutorial videos do not hold the saddle, but it feels quite a bit tougher staying "tucked".

The curb seems to help drastically, but I'm going to first work on getting turning down and riding in different areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocyclism View Post
I learnt to unicycle from my 60th birthday. I bought a 24" to learn. I made videos of my learning curve. Here is the one relevant to the topic of this thread. I was 61 years old when I made the video. Two years this after I rode my first 100 miles in a day on a unicycle.

https://vimeo.com/2749823
Cool video, impressive especially at 60!
bank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-25, 07:17 PM   #25
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
Another question I have is do you hold the saddle as you freemount?
Mostly yes - it depends on the mount. I usually hold the saddle when static mounting which is my preferred mount though I can static mount without holding the saddle, and learnt to mount that way without holding it. I don't usually hold the saddle when doing a roll back mount, though I can if I want.

With a rolling mount it's pretty much impossible to do without holding the saddle, and with a side mount I start off holding the saddle then let go part way through - I'm fairly sure I don't hold the saddle for a kick up mount
Old 2016-05-25, 09:17 PM   #26
Setonix
Unicyclist

It took me maybe two weeks of learning to freemount, after it took 3 weeks to learn to unicycle. I started July 2015. First on a 20" then the 24". Now I freemount 9 out of 10 times on the 29", but I still have troubles with the 36". Also once I sit on the 36", I try to stay on as long as possible, so I don't get to try so often during a trip. I mostly go for static mount, but with some tries a rolling mount works too. Still need more practice to get to 99% on the 36". I don't care about 100%.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-25, 10:07 PM   #27
mtu
Unicyclist

I learned to unicycle when I was 14.

It took me a few months until I could freemount.

However, a month or two after, I could freemount by putting the wheel on the kerb, so the wheel didn't go flying backwards and I did it that way.
mtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-26, 07:20 AM   #28
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

I have a video from when I was 8 days into learning how to ride in 2010 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbaNIwt2kVY). I practiced for two hours a day I think. It looks like I could free mount better than I could ride. Both my kids learned to free mount at the age of 8 without any instructions from me. It was much easier for them to learn how to free mount than to ride. Even though free mounting came pretty easy, I still can't idle - it seems impossible.
Old 2016-05-26, 10:29 AM   #29
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtu View Post
I learned to unicycle when I was 14.

It took me a few months until I could freemount.

However, a month or two after, I could freemount by putting the wheel on the kerb, so the wheel didn't go flying backwards and I did it that way.
Yes I forget you can also use a kerb. Pity though that there aren't any kerbs when municycling in the forest

Freemounting by holding the wheel just felt strange from the start. The idea of hanging over the front just gave me the feeling I'd tumble off. Maybe Im just too tall for it.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-26, 12:27 PM   #30
OorWullie
Unicyclist

There may not be many kerbs in the forest but I found there is generally a rock, root or just a washed out ridge of gravel that works as a substitute!
Looking through the posts here, I may have been on the slow side with learning to free mount, but the thing is, I don't care. I ride because I enjoy riding, not to compare myself to other riders. Also, I didn't really practice mounting as such. I'd just ride, try to free mount when I upd'd and if it wasn't working for me I'd find a tree, fence, lamppost or whatever to get me back on. Using this method I reckon it took maybe 6-8 weeks to get a reasonably reliable free mount.
OorWullie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freemount, learn, long