Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-08-24, 09:30 PM   #16
UPD
fail better.

Im glad you're bringing your bike too, because that butt, legs, back and neck is going to be killing you for 120 miles a day on one wheel, especially with a beginner's inefficient. Please correct me if Im wrong.
In just trying to be realistic and not be a downer...

Im in my year and a half and still, I wont even come near 100 miles a day. : ( my crotch will hate me for it the next day
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-24, 10:21 PM   #17
just1wheel
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPD View Post
Im glad you're bringing your bike too, because that butt, legs, back and neck is going to be killing you for 120 miles a day on one wheel, especially with a beginner's inefficient. Please correct me if Im wrong.
In just trying to be realistic and not be a downer...

Im in my year and a half and still, I wont even come near 100 miles a day. : ( my crotch will hate me for it the next day
I meant to say that this will be my first long distance cycling trip. I haven't done a long distance on a uni or a bike.
Old 2015-08-24, 11:20 PM   #18
markus
Too old for a training wheel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1wheel View Post
First day I will be riding around 120 miles. Second day, around 80 miles. Terrain is mostly flat, I will be following the STP trail from seattle to portland.
Not to discourage you, but I just don't see this happening. Experienced unicyclists on a 36er maybe. But not on an ungeared 29er.

I've been riding for a bit more than a year now. My main ride is a 29er Nimbus with 125mm cranks. I wouldn't want anything shorter than this or I'd be stranded on the first incline. I do about 6mph on it. If you do the math on that, I'd be riding for 20 hours straight without any break to recover, eat, drink, sleep. You originally said multi day trip. I'd really stretch this out if I were you and cut the distances to something more manageable. Do a training ride where you ride about 130% of what you plan for your longest day. If you have no problem with that, you may be ok.

Here is some info from another thread to support my claim. Hopefully that will make you see that a 120rpm cadence for a multi day ride is a bit too much:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
All you could expect is a speed against cadence (rpm) chart. The average speed will depend on many variables, not least of which is the rider's ability.

Assuming you work in miles per hour:

A Coker does 1mph for every 9.34 rpm
(93 rpm = 10 mph)

A 29 does 1mph for every 11.6 rpm
(116 rpm = 10 mph)

A 28 does 1 mph for every 12 rpm
(120 rpm = 10 mph)

A 26 does 1 mph for every 12.9 rpm
(129 rpm = 10 mph)

A true 24 does 1 mph for every 14 rpm
(140 rpm = 10 mph)

A 20 does 1 mph for every 16.8 rpm)
(168 rpm = 10 mph)

Figures are approximate as most wheel sizes are only nominal.

So, what is your sustainable cadence? 60 rpm = 2 pedal strokes per second. 90 rpm = 3, pedal strokes per second. 120 rpm = 4 pedal strokes (two complete circles) per second.
markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-25, 03:44 AM   #19
bungeejoe
Joe Myers

It can be done.

I've put hundreds of miles on a 28 inch with 6 inch cranks and averaged 7 to 8 mph for long rides.

It comes down to how much sleep you will get between the two days.

If I remember correctly Jack did the STP on a 24 inch. I think Dan did it on a 28 inch.

JM

bungeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-25, 04:12 AM   #20
UPD
fail better.

For you, bungeejoe, and the experienced, yes.
For the newbie(s), no.

I'm just short of saying, "You have got to be kidding me"
Sorry, Not to be mean, just being realistic...
Old 2015-08-25, 05:52 AM   #21
just1wheel
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPD View Post
For you, bungeejoe, and the experienced, yes.
For the newbie(s), no.

I'm just short of saying, "You have got to be kidding me"
Sorry, Not to be mean, just being realistic...
I'll probably break the trip into three parts, 40, 80, and 80 miles. I think that's more reasonable.
Old 2015-08-25, 12:21 PM   #22
bungeejoe
Joe Myers

I was a 48 year old newbie nobody when I set out on my first STP. Five months prior I started training on a Sun 28. My longest unicycle ride was 8 miles split into two segments. I had level one skills.

10 days prior to day one I switched to a 36.

At the end of day one I had 100 miles under my wheel and belonged in a hospital. I did not go to ER. I did not ride on day two.

Yes, I did many wrong things. But with four more STP finishes I like to think I'm a little realistic. I've watched as a friend learned to ride and completed harder things than the STP in his first year.

I am amazed continually what the human body is capable of. I've done many things far harder than the STP.

Enjoy the challenge but don't be stupid. Some times the hardest choices are deciding when to shut down the "fun". I've made that choice three times on distance unicycle rides.

JM

bungeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-25, 12:47 PM   #23
unibokk
Unicyclist

[
TP.
Enjoy the challenge but don't be stupid. Some times the hardest choices are deciding when to shut down the "fun". I've made that choice three times on distance unicycle rides.

JM[/QUOTE]

Yep. When you're enjoying the ride it's very easy to overdo it.

With regard to crank length, I think there's a dynamic where people with short legs are more comfortable using very short cranks.

It's a bit of a generalisation but worth considering.

JOW , Are you tall or short ?
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-25, 01:33 PM   #24
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Been unicycling since July, not very long. This is my first long distance cycling trip, for both bike and unicycle. First day I will be riding around 120 miles. Second day, around 80 miles. Terrain is mostly flat, I will be following the STP trail from seattle to portland.
A couple months into riding unicycle, I became obsessed with the idea of riding long distances. I even bought a small cycle computer to log the miles ridden (ended up being a nuisance and took it off). Later on, I discovered there were other ways of improving my unicycling which didn't involve riding super-long distances (20" and mUni).

Search the forums: 75mm cranks are considered fringe even on a 20" unicycle. Mounting with 75mm cranks on a 29" will be a challenge, as well as stopping. Do you know how to use a brake?

Touring handles are good for long rides. But it takes time to learn how to use them. Handles will help you take some weight off the seat, and they'll help you adjust your position on the seat to avoid/lessen saddle sores.

Your proposed ride seems unrealistic to me. I imagine two outcomes to all this: 1. You realize how currently impossible this is, become frustrated, then lose interest in unicycling. 2. You start to realize that there are many skills that must be developed, involving time, practice, setup, trial-and-error, searching-the-forum, etc. ... which will scaffold you upwards toward your (masochistic) dream, you learn these skills, then continue becoming a better unicyclist.

I am hoping for outcome #2! Good luck. Keep riding.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-25, 03:04 PM   #25
UPD
fail better.

If time allows, why not do a 4 or 5 day? That means camping out and bringing gear for 3 or 4 nights. More realistic and still a huge accomplishment , without your body wanting to murder you at the end
Old 2015-08-25, 03:08 PM   #26
Engineer on a Unicycle
Learning to say "on your left"

Quote:
I'll probably break the trip into three parts, 40, 80, and 80 miles. I think that's more reasonable.
What's the furthest distance you have a done in a single day so far?

While for single-day events people sometimes train only a bit over half the event distance, it doesn't seem like you should expect to do greater distances on consecutive days than you have done in training rides.

And the mornings after those isolated training rides will be a reality check on doing such on multiple consecutive days.
Old 2015-08-25, 08:52 PM   #27
LanceB
This space available

I actually laid in bed last night thinking about this.
While not wanting to sound negative at all, please have your wife or other devoted friend follow along with a motor vehicle capable of transporting you back in the event that things don't go as planned. I've been riding for about 3 years now, and 30 miles takes a big toll. I could probably do 50 if I had to. However, you may be an olympic-level athlete, and this may be a walk in the park. But you also may be surprised at the difficulty. (You know there are hills involved, right?)

(BTW, I think bungeejoe has one or two write-ups on this ride, it would be instructive to read through his blog. This man is huge among road unicyclers [one of the few who rides clipped in!], one would do well to profit from his experience.)

Good luck! And post pictures!
Old 2015-08-25, 09:12 PM   #28
Sillycontraption
unicyclist

How soon planning on doing this ride?
Old 2015-08-25, 09:45 PM   #29
just1wheel
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
I actually laid in bed last night thinking about this.
While not wanting to sound negative at all, please have your wife or other devoted friend follow along with a motor vehicle capable of transporting you back in the event that things don't go as planned. I've been riding for about 3 years now, and 30 miles takes a big toll. I could probably do 50 if I had to. However, you may be an olympic-level athlete, and this may be a walk in the park. But you also may be surprised at the difficulty. (You know there are hills involved, right?)

(BTW, I think bungeejoe has one or two write-ups on this ride, it would be instructive to read through his blog. This man is huge among road unicyclers [one of the few who rides clipped in!], one would do well to profit from his experience.)

Good luck! And post pictures!
Thanks for your concern! I'm rethinking my decision to ride. Given that I'm a fairly new unicyclist, it seems best if I don't rush things. I still want to ride with the stp goers next year. In the meanwhile I'll continue to train for the long distance ride by slowly building up distance.

I guess I was too ambitious.
Old 2015-08-25, 09:51 PM   #30
unibokk
Unicyclist

A wise decision. It will give you time to develop your set up and your riding technique.
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
29er, advice, distance, long, riding