Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-03-18, 01:26 AM   #16
tim williamson
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mornish
not really, at least in my opinion.

if all you are doing is hopping, than I would imagine that yes it would be good, but a lot of trials is riding skinnies and doing lines that require some rolling, and there is where you don't want really long cranks.

If you have strong legs you can get enough leverage out of 137's/ 140's, at least that's what I've found.

-Miles
Thanks Miles,

So I guess that 145 is really the upper end of things. I was not suggesting that UNIs might want 170, just what things are different and what is considered the longest useable size. In biketrials, it was really the power of the riders increasing over the years that pushed the size up. I do understand that on bikes you have gearing to contend with (that has gotten steeper over the years....hence the longer cranks). So the longer the cranks (further from the spindle), the more wobbly things get..... that is something I never thought about....interesting.

Does anyone know how long UNI trials cranks were a few years ago? Or have they always been about the same length?
putschbytim@gmail.com
tim williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-18, 01:34 AM   #17
Spencer Hochberg
!

Send a message via AIM to Spencer Hochberg Send a message via MSN to Spencer Hochberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim williamson
Does anyone know how long UNI trials cranks were a few years ago? Or have they always been about the same length?
Years back almost everyone was riding 145mm because profile was the only option for splined uni trials cranks and that's the shortest they come. When Kris Holm produced his first trials hub/cranks in 2003, they were 140mm. Now most trials unis come with 137/140mm cranks, the exceptions I can think of are torker (125mm) and qu-ax (145mm).
I personally like 137/140 for trials and 125 for street/flat.
Spencer Hochberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-18, 01:35 AM   #18
mornish
magic

Send a message via ICQ to mornish Send a message via AIM to mornish Send a message via MSN to mornish Send a message via Skype™ to mornish
Quote:
Thanks Miles,

So I guess that 145 is really the upper end of things. I was not suggesting that UNIs might want 170, just what things are different and what is considered the longest useable size. In biketrials, it was really the power of the riders increasing over the years that pushed the size up. I do understand that on bikes you have gearing to contend with (that has gotten steeper over the years....hence the longer cranks). So the longer the cranks (further from the spindle), the more wobbly things get..... that is something I never thought about....interesting.

Well for a long time profiles where the only really strong splined cranks you could get for unis, and they came in somewhere between 145 - 150 mms.

Lots of people rode them and did amazing things on them, but they have always felt pretty long to me. I could probably get used to them, but I would rather ride slightly shorter cranks.

edit: spencer beat me to it.

Last edited by mornish; 2008-03-18 at 01:35 AM.
mornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-18, 03:45 AM   #19
TrialsUni
urban trials with a street flare

Send a message via AIM to TrialsUni Send a message via MSN to TrialsUni
another factor is wheel size. with a mod rim, your cranks can only be so long, unless you intend on never turning while riding a unicycle. i can't imagine going longer than my 145mm (i think someone found out that they were really 150mm) profiles, because on some sharper turns i do bump the pedals on the ground. very rarely has the force been enough to knock me off my unicycle. it only happens once in a while, and not just with turns, but sometimes from riding on steeper surfaces.

as far as spoke options go, i'm no expert, but i would assume that it has to do with the unusual forces and strains unicycles put on rims.

i for one, as a uni trials rider, am very skeptical about drilled rims, let alone 32 spoke wheels. i will probably never ride a drilled rim, ever! i just don't think those things are strong enough for what trials unicycles are put through. someone correct me if i'm wrong.
TrialsUni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-18, 03:57 PM   #20
tim williamson
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrialsUni
another factor is wheel size. with a mod rim, your cranks can only be so long, unless you intend on never turning while riding a unicycle. i can't imagine going longer than my 145mm (i think someone found out that they were really 150mm) profiles, because on some sharper turns i do bump the pedals on the ground. very rarely has the force been enough to knock me off my unicycle. it only happens once in a while, and not just with turns, but sometimes from riding on steeper surfaces.

as far as spoke options go, i'm no expert, but i would assume that it has to do with the unusual forces and strains unicycles put on rims.

i for one, as a uni trials rider, am very skeptical about drilled rims, let alone 32 spoke wheels. i will probably never ride a drilled rim, ever! i just don't think those things are strong enough for what trials unicycles are put through. someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Another point I had not thought about, in reference to crank length. The spindle on a bike is higher than that of a UNI, certainly making a difference when it comes to clearance and length..... good point.

Per the spokes. On a 19" wheel, laced taught with good quality spokes.... the difference between 36 and 32 in strength is only something that makes difference in the theoretical.

As for drilled rims. Most of the strength of a wheel is in the tension of the spokes. A good wheel build will make even a truely crappy rim appear to be strong.
putschbytim@gmail.com
tim williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-18, 07:56 PM   #21
UnicycleJuggler
Street tyre, here we come

On my BMX I run a standard set of cranks which are 175mm in length, so yeah the height of the axle is very different.
I tried some 170mm cranks on my uni just to see what they were like and I found them to be pretty intolerable. They were just too easy to pedal with, which made it feel very, very bouncy. Not to mention I kept catching the pedals on the floor!
I have only ever used 125s so I'm not really sure what 137/140s would be like, but I'm more into street but getting into trials, so things may change soon.

I've only just noticed that the Nimbus Isis trials comes with 125mm cranks. Anyone know why? Is it just due to cost?
Old 2008-03-18, 08:13 PM   #22
mornish
magic

Send a message via ICQ to mornish Send a message via AIM to mornish Send a message via MSN to mornish Send a message via Skype™ to mornish
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicycleJuggler
On my BMX I run a standard set of cranks which are 175mm in length, so yeah the height of the axle is very different.
I tried some 170mm cranks on my uni just to see what they were like and I found them to be pretty intolerable. They were just too easy to pedal with, which made it feel very, very bouncy. Not to mention I kept catching the pedals on the floor!
I have only ever used 125s so I'm not really sure what 137/140s would be like, but I'm more into street but getting into trials, so things may change soon.

I've only just noticed that the Nimbus Isis trials comes with 125mm cranks. Anyone know why? Is it just due to cost?

Because the people who work at unicycle.com are silly
Old 2008-03-18, 08:27 PM   #23
UnicycleJuggler
Street tyre, here we come

Quote:
Because the people who work at unicycle.com are silly
Fair play, cheers!
Old 2008-03-18, 08:58 PM   #24
agentQ
Sam Haber

Send a message via AIM to agentQ Send a message via MSN to agentQ
Quote:
In biketrials, it was really the power of the riders increasing over the years that pushed the size up.
With uni, as the power of your legs increases the option of shorter cranks opens up (in general, not for trials). Say on a big wheel uni for distance, starting of with short cranks will leave you with very little control but as your legs get stronger and you can control the uni better the benefits of shorter cranks opens up.

<<PERSONAL OPINION BELOW>>
I have recently dropped down from 135s to 125s on my 19". There is a noticeable loss on control under one kind of circumstance. For example when I jump onto something kinda high, if my weight is a little lower than it should be the 125s will roll out from under me more often, where as the 135s would give me a little more leverage. Other than this one circumstance I like the 125s much better for everything I do. I have raised my maximum hop height, as well as feel as I can balance better, pedal smoother, and feel more comfortable in any pedal position. As my legs get more and more used to the size I start to feel as 125s work great for all my kind of ridding.

As for spokes. I dont really mind the 36 but would prolly be happy with the strength of 32. AS long as the space between the spokes didnt open up much more. Having enough room for your foot to fit into more often would make for more falling as well as not being good for the spokes.

Whats up with Street and Flat?
the Unicycle Lab

Last edited by agentQ; 2008-03-18 at 08:59 PM.
agentQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-18, 10:20 PM   #25
skilewis74
Stupidity gets you 2 of these:

Send a message via Yahoo to skilewis74
I've read that cranks that are too long or have too much Q-factor, riding skinnies is harder. (I like lots of Q-factor, especially rolling through bumpy terrain, but my skills are pretty weak)

Something I noticed once when I had 150's on my 20, was if you were side hopping something similar to steep, narrow stairs, the pedal would more easily touch the next stair w/ the same amount of wheel movement than w/ shorter cranks. (Good/bad?)

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building

Last edited by skilewis74; 2008-03-18 at 10:23 PM.
skilewis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-18, 10:35 PM   #26
catinabag1
future navy nuke

Send a message via AIM to catinabag1 Send a message via MSN to catinabag1
hows the kris holm 20" trials? is it way better than the nimbus and qu ax? is it worth that much money?
catinabag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 12:00 AM   #27
doamono
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to doamono
its a lot stronger then the nimbus and alot more ride able then the qu-ax also it is alot lighter...not to mention that its one sexy unicycle!! in my eye's it is deffinatley worth the extra ... however dont let your brother leave it behind the car and your sister back over it!!! i mean its still ride able but it cost $20 to get the buckle out and it has a broken spoke!! lol i was so annoyed!!! anyways hopefully Kris will bring out a new model this year and i can get one of those!

http://www.unicycle.com.au/
doamono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 12:41 AM   #28
SHAY_CAM
Live life for yourself, no other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doamono
its a lot stronger then the nimbus and alot more ride able then the qu-ax also it is alot lighter...not to mention that its one sexy unicycle!! in my eye's it is deffinatley worth the extra ... however dont let your brother leave it behind the car and your sister back over it!!! i mean its still ride able but it cost $20 to get the buckle out and it has a broken spoke!! lol i was so annoyed!!! anyways hopefully Kris will bring out a new model this year and i can get one of those!
Oh i bet to differ. The nimbus IS stronger then the KH and is only about 2-350 grams heavyer. in my eyes its not quite worth the extra 250$, but if i had the money i would get the KH.
Old 2008-03-19, 12:46 AM   #29
mornish
magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAY_CAM
Oh i bet to differ. The nimbus IS stronger then the KH and is only about 2-350 grams heavyer. in my eyes its not quite worth the extra 250$, but if i had the money i would get the KH.
how?

It doesn't really matter which is stronger, because they are both stronger than most people need.

Wide rim makes the kh win though, and the frame
Old 2008-03-19, 12:51 AM   #30
SHAY_CAM
Live life for yourself, no other.

Quote:
how?

It doesn't really matter which is stronger, because they are both stronger than most people need.

Wide rim makes the kh win though, and the frame
The rim is drilled and aluminum. the max hight for a jump on a KH drilled is 6 feet.also aluminum is The frame . nimbus frame is made of steel (chromoly)

Last edited by SHAY_CAM; 2008-03-19 at 12:52 AM.
SHAY_CAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
count, crank, length or spoke, trials