Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-01-26, 12:29 AM   #16
gkmac
     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamessd
It's hardly fair to call Most Replys a silly thread. People use it for conversation rather than IRC. But obvioulsy the line had to be drawn somewhere.
What people say on "Most Replys" isn't necessarily silly, but rather the fact it's used very like an IRC chatroom. To me that sounds rather clumsy. Having to refresh several times to see what people are saying, sometimes having to go back a page or two to see the gist of the conversations.

A chatroom is a great thing to have for many reasons, but why should a "chatroom" boost a post count simply because people type a single line and press Enter (effectively)?

Is it any coincidence that the top overall posters on unicyclist.com and the top posters on Most Replys seem to have the same people?
     
gkmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 12:30 AM   #17
James_Potter
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkmac
Is it any coincidence that the top overall posters on unicyclist.com and the top posters on Most Replys seem to have the same people?
So are you saying that having a high post count actually does mean something important to you?
James_Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 12:32 AM   #18
jamessd
Recreational unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to jamessd
Quote:
Well no, it's not a coincidence obviously - but who said there was anything wrong with wanting to talk to your friends in the unicyclist community?

Last edited by jamessd; 2008-01-26 at 12:32 AM.
jamessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 12:34 AM   #19
forrestunifreak
is in college. and on magazines.

Send a message via AIM to forrestunifreak Send a message via MSN to forrestunifreak Send a message via Skype™ to forrestunifreak
My postcount's name is mud.
Old 2008-01-26, 12:36 AM   #20
gkmac
     

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Potter
Gilby has already said before that if he had the ability to do this, he could.
Fixed.
Quote:
So are you saying that having a high post count actually does mean something important to you?
It does in most other (properly moderated) forums, yes.

People with higher postcounts tend to be viewed as more respectful by the average forum user, it's just the way it is. I can certainly name a view "wisdom" users who take their time to reply to common questions and have a postcount that's actually earned the right way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamessd
Well no, it's not a coincidence obviously - but who said there was anything wrong with wanting to talk to your friends in the unicyclist community?
Nothing wrong with wanting to talk to your friends virtually instantly, but doing it via a forum thread is like trying to do a telephone conversation using only postal letters. And as I said before, why should a "chatroom" boost a post count simply because people type a single line and press Enter (effectively)?
     
Old 2008-01-26, 12:40 AM   #21
James_Potter
Unicyclist

Quote:
Fixed.
What are you talking about?
He's said before that he can not do that, but if he could, then he would.

Quote:
It does in most other (properly moderated) forums, yes.
Ha, well, I disagree but you just answered the original poster's question...if a high post count means that much to some people, then that's probably why people want a high post count.
Old 2008-01-26, 12:42 AM   #22
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

I still don't really understand what IRC is and what it has to do with useless threads but that is besides the point.

There is a reason I did not include Most Replys in my original post. the key reason is that it is a thread that has evolved to have many uses (basically a chat-room) and also the first post states
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITEMNO530 in Most Replys
spam? NAH!! chata!! Oh, cool
so it was started as a place to chat instead of a place to boost post count.

The new threads, not so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac steiner in 1000,000th Post wins
(There are no rules, you can post alot, its just whoever gets the 100,000th post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon557 in last one to post wins
Alright heres the game the last person to post on this thread wins ready...
GO
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1993 in 42nd one to post wins
winner gets this trophy
42nd one to post

they may put it in there sig

HTML Code:
[COLOR="Red"]4[/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]2[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]n[/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]d[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]o[/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]n[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]e[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]t[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]o[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]p[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]o[/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]s[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]t[/COLOR]
That is not to say that there is not post boosting going on in MR or conversations started in the other post boosting threads once they are started but there is a difference.

This is not an attack on MR or an attack on community members with high post rates (unless they are mostly from posts for the purpose of boosting post count) but I can't see any reason to have a thread specifically for the purpose of boosting your post count.

Last edited by saskatchewanian; 2008-01-26 at 12:43 AM.
saskatchewanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 12:47 AM   #23
James_Potter
Unicyclist

I concur!
As for post count boosting in the Most Reply thread, we do actually have a specific rule against "turboposting", which is that a user cannot post more than twice in a row, unless they are all in reply to separate previous posts...so for example someone is not allowed to just post "hello" thirty times in a row.
I too have thought that all the "nth person to post" threads are dumb and a waste of space, but I haven't spoken up because it won't change anything...so I just ignore them.
Old 2008-01-26, 12:52 AM   #24
gkmac
     

Quote:
What are you talking about?
He's said before that he can not do that, but if he could, then he would.
Sorry, a little misunderstanding there.
Quote:
Ha, well, I disagree but you just answered the original poster's question...if a high post count means that much to some people, then that's probably why people want a high post count.
That's right, for the average forum anyway.

There will be users of many forums who will come to this forum, find out they (or more likely, see other people) can boost their post count immensley just by doing the equivalent of joining a chatroom and pressing Enter a few times, and then find out how much of a con a high post count is in this forum.

Interestingly, Gilby apparently has hidden postcounts before. Don't know much about it though.
     
Old 2008-01-26, 12:52 AM   #25
UniDudeDX
Custom Nimbus/Kris Holm Unicycle!

Send a message via MSN to UniDudeDX
im the last person before the 1000's haha 999th post..
Old 2008-01-26, 12:59 AM   #26
dudewithasock
Gig 'em, Aggies!

Send a message via Skype™ to dudewithasock
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian
I still don't really understand what IRC is and what it has to do with useless threads but that is besides the point.

There is a reason I did not include Most Replys in my original post. the key reason is that it is a thread that has evolved to have many uses (basically a chat-room) and also the first post statesso it was started as a place to chat instead of a place to boost post count.

The new threads, not so much.

That is not to say that there is not post boosting going on in MR or conversations started in the other post boosting threads once they are started but there is a difference.

This is not an attack on MR or an attack on community members with high post rates (unless they are mostly from posts for the purpose of boosting post count) but I can't see any reason to have a thread specifically for the purpose of boosting your post count.
Well yeah, IRC has nothing to do with forums...not sure why it was mentioned.

As far as MR goes...like JP already mentioned, we have a specific rule against turboposting. Prominent MRIS members will jump on you immediately if you break that rule, and that's usually enough to scare the newbies away (if they don't wanna follow the rules, that is; otherwise, they're welcome to stay).

And GK: I don't totally see your point...if post count doesn't matter, why bother going through the trouble of coding something specifically to affect it?

As for the OP (my more serious answer this time), I think it has a lot to do with the e-peen contest. Anyone who's played an MMO knows all about this - the person with the most badass weapons and armor fancies themselves entitled to bragging rights (commonly referred to as e-peen contest), when really, all that means is you've got a different set of 1's and 0's than someone else. It's the same here - it's just a number.

I'll never truly understand people's obsessions with having high post counts, though I suspect it's all linked back to the whole trademark of human nature - greed. People always want more of something, even if it's as useless as the number of times you've typed a sentence and pressed enter on an online forum.

I'd be fine with post counts just being removed entirely. They're about as pointless as the rep point system was (though it was admittedly more fun to play with).

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazdude222
Doing good doesn't make you good any more than doing a girl makes you a girl.
dudewithasock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 01:05 AM   #27
James_Potter
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewithasock
I'd be fine with post counts just being removed entirely. They're about as pointless as the rep point system was (though it was admittedly more fun to play with).
Hahaha, the rep system was sweet....
Old 2008-01-26, 01:06 AM   #28
habbywall
Groovy!

Send a message via AIM to habbywall Send a message via MSN to habbywall Send a message via Yahoo to habbywall Send a message via Skype™ to habbywall
Why does it matter why people want their post count higher?
Old 2008-01-26, 01:08 AM   #29
Hazmat
Too insane to be considered human.

Quote:
Hahaha, the rep system was sweet....
Rep system???

Can't wait till this game is finally released.
Hazmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 01:12 AM   #30
dudewithasock
Gig 'em, Aggies!

Send a message via Skype™ to dudewithasock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat
Rep system???
Few years ago there was something in where you could rate people's posts and give or take away their reputation points (or 'rep' points). It got pretty crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazdude222
Doing good doesn't make you good any more than doing a girl makes you a girl.
dudewithasock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boost, count, people, post, unicycle