Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2005-05-29, 05:47 PM   #1
amanda.gallacher
Unicyclist

British Muni Weekend. Whos going?

well, as the title says, who is going? and is the it any good? i've never been to one before.

amanda

Last edited by amanda.gallacher; 2005-05-29 at 05:48 PM.
amanda.gallacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-29, 07:53 PM   #2
MattPH

Thumbs up

I'm going, and yes they are great fun, my first muni weekend was last year and it was great to be with people who didn't consider my hobby strange.
MattPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-29, 11:07 PM   #3
phil
Average wheels: 1.5

British what weekend now?! When? Nobody tells me anything...

Phil
Old 2005-05-29, 11:55 PM   #4
phil

On a more serious note...

I've had a few emails asking whether there's an age limit for the weekend. To (hopefully) clear up any confusion:

There's no age limit for the muni weekend - BUT - remember that unlike a unimeet or convention there are no organisers to look after you; you must be able to look after yourselves for the entire weekend, from camping and eating to what to do if anything should go wrong.

The muni weekend is more like going camping with friends than a convention, so if you cannot go camping on your own you must drag along a parent or other person who will be responsible for you. There will be other people there who can lend a hand but in the end everything is at your own risk.

Reminder: Quantocks BMW web page

Phil
Old 2005-05-31, 03:39 PM   #5
gayno
Hi Everybody!

<bump>

Just to get this to the top of the page where all UK MUni-ers can see it, get yourself along, you know you want to!!

As mentioned on the other thread, we are going to have some disposable BBQs to do dinner for the saturday night [weather permitting of course!!] so bring along sausages, burgers, veggie food, whatever you want and I'm sure we'll find a place to chuck it on for you!! This is of course, for those who know me, if you trust my cooking

Adam

All my posts are made with 99% recycled electrons. The remaining 1% are brand new, as some electrons are ended through annihilation.
[Thanks Klaas ]
gayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-31, 04:09 PM   #6
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

I'm going, but I can only make the Saturday. What time are you meeting in Holford Phil?
rob.northcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-31, 04:18 PM   #7
nickjb
Occasionally here

I'll be there, hopefully, although I'm still achey from a lap of Cwmcarn on Sunday (in the slow group )
nickjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-31, 05:29 PM   #8
phil

Quote:
Originally posted by rob.northcott
I'm going, but I can only make the Saturday. What time are you meeting in Holford Phil?
Probably around 10-ish I should think. There's a very good tea'n'cake room in Holford, so if anyone is late it's hardly a catastrophe... Drop someone a line if you end up being earlier or later.

Cwmcarn? Funky. I still haven't muni-ed that, just on two wheels earlier this year. With reeeeeaaally powerful binoculars you might have been able to see me on Sunday; I was just over the Bristol Channel riding from sea level to the top of the highest point in Somerset, Dunkery Beacon on Exmoor. Cor blimey was it steep...

Phil
Old 2005-05-31, 08:31 PM   #9
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

Thanks Phil. I should be able to make it for 10 no problem.

Rob
rob.northcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-31, 08:35 PM   #10
amanda.gallacher
Unicyclist

does anyone know if any kids are going. me and matt bennett are camping. alick, manj, butty and possibly gary, matt mcarthur and bishop are coming on the saturday, going home and coming back on the sunday. has there been any kids in the past?

amanda
amanda.gallacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-31, 08:58 PM   #11
keg
RTL Team #56: The Old Peculiers

Quote:
Originally posted by amanda.gallacher
does anyone know if any kids are going.
My kids are definitely staying at home. The youngest rider I remember was probably aged around 10 (this was a couple of years back), his dad is also a rider. He struggled on Snowdon and they turned back relatively early.

Last year there were some mid-teens, I am not sure how many because I joined the longer route on the first day of which Phil was probably the youngest! Again on the Sunday the group I rode in had no teenagers as we did a long ride.

Keith
keg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-31, 09:12 PM   #12
Loosemoose
Coco... thanks guys.

Send a message via MSN to Loosemoose
What time is everyone planning to arrive on Friday night, and which pub are we meeting up in? (I'm assuming we're meeting in a pub, sounds about right). Will there be parking at the campsite and is the pub a uniiable distance away?

Phil, could you could PM me some contact details to help with In-Pub recognition? I haven't met any of you before so I might end up wandering round the pub asking everyone "Excuse me, BMW?" and get some funny looks.

Thanks lads.

Loose.

"Come on you target for far away laughter,
come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine..." - Pink Floyd
Loosemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-31, 09:43 PM   #13
phil

I think people will be accumulating throughout the day; Adam and I are planning to get there early afternoon for a bit of a bike (eeeeeek!) reccy around the place, with most people arriving at some point in the evening.

Part of our reconnaissance mission will be to find which pub is the nicest. There appear to be two, the same distance from the campsite but in opposite directions. I've heard good things about the one in Holford, so there is the most likely candidate. They are both a rideable distance, which is handy as this is generally the chosen mode of transport. There is plenty of room for cars at the campsite.

I'll have my phone on me, so give me a ring when you get there; my number is 07813 443394. If you end up wandering round a pub you'll probably be able to see lots of helmets and helmet-hair...

It'll be great to meet you!

Phil
Old 2005-05-31, 11:39 PM   #14
gayno
Hi Everybody!

......or if you look at both our sigs......look out for the cattleprods

All my posts are made with 99% recycled electrons. The remaining 1% are brand new, as some electrons are ended through annihilation.
[Thanks Klaas ]
gayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-01, 08:33 AM   #15
redwelly
Sam Wakeling

Send a message via Skype™ to redwelly
Wee... muni weekend!!

OK, now that excitement has calmed a little...

Rob: I PMed you about your previous offer of a lift from Bristol... is that still there?

I'm coming down on Saturday and staying to Sunday, from Bath. If anyone is driving down past Bristol or Taunton etc it would be great to have a lift - riding 50 odd miles on a muni with luggage isn't the most fun thing in the world...

See you guys soon

P.S. Don't tell phil, but I've been riding in Nant-yr-Arian this week already, and plan to do it again on Friday
redwelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
british, muni, weekend