Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Videos

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2013-11-15, 07:59 PM   #31
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Very cool! Do you know what the story of that path is? It was obviously cleared and graded for something but seems to have been abandoned. I love finding relics like that. It looks like a great place to ride.

I'd call it a road, just an unpaved one, and your uni should be fine on it. A muni with a big honking tire would take a lot of the fun out of it.

Rock on.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-15, 08:13 PM   #32
markf80
Addicted to One Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeEddie View Post
Very cool! Do you know what the story of that path is? It was obviously cleared and graded for something but seems to have been abandoned. I love finding relics like that. It looks like a great place to ride.

I'd call it a road, just an unpaved one, and your uni should be fine on it. A muni with a big honking tire would take a lot of the fun out of it.

Rock on.
Actually, I do know the the history. I live in part of the area where the old Camp Davis Army base was during WWII. There are still some old chimneys and foundations located around the area. This used to be a road at that time, but was never paved and has since grown over.
markf80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 02:45 PM   #33
markf80
Addicted to One Wheel

First person view

I went to an old factory foundation to practice riding. It has a bunch of concrete bases where the walls and pillars used to be. Its great practice for turning.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=c...&v=Scabz_gxgR0
Old 2013-12-05, 05:24 PM   #34
DPercy
Unicyclist

It's been fun watching your progress. I just joined this site and found your thread. I started unicycling almost the same day as you and our progress is identical, I even have the problem of turning left. I am envious of the weather you have as I have had to learn in the snow for the last 6 weeks.
My latest place on the learning curve is trying to go up and down hills steeper than a gentle grade. I find both up and down quite exhausting even if it is only for 20 feet.

Dave
DPercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-11, 02:02 AM   #35
dougmontgomery
Municyclist Newbie

Nice Work

Your progress is Great, I wish I would of kept track of mine over the last 6 months.

Soon as I learned to freemount 4 out of 10 times my friend chris said.....you can learn to ride on your street or the trail.

We have been riding the trail every sunday, and now we are up to 6 mile loops with some walking up steep grades(9%).

Down hill is fun and uses different muscles, My Quads are getting Huge.

Keep up the great work-
Doug
dougmontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-21, 12:08 AM   #36
markf80
Addicted to One Wheel

First long distance ride

Okay, so I don't have a video of this one, but I do have a blister...although I am not sure I am able to post a picture, considering where it is!

I am training for a 36 mile adoption fundraiser in the spring, and I decided it was time to leave my neighborhood and head out to the place where I am going to be doing the ride

The location is right along the beach in Surf City, NC. The weather today was awesome! Up to now, I have only been riding around the block. Today I rode 3.2 miles round trip. It is the longest distance I have gone yet, and my legs were a little like jello.

Worse than the legs was the butt! Oh my goodness. By the time I made it back to the car, I was hurting!

The good news is that I only dismounted once, and made the whole trip without a UPD! I feel like this is really great progress considering the time I have been learning.

I passed a guy on a b*ke going the other way. He said, "Looks like fun!"

So, 3.2 miles down and all I have to do is work up to 36! Oh, and I am using a 24 inch Unicycle.
Old 2013-12-27, 08:17 PM   #37
markf80
Addicted to One Wheel

I think I might have already posted this somewhere else, but I wanted to include it here as well. I decided to do a first person view of riding at the old factory. I used my cell phone camera to shoot this. Hopefully It doesn't make you dizzy!

Old 2013-12-27, 09:55 PM   #38
Alucard
Unicyclist

3.2 miles, one dismount and no upds.! Crikey Charlie
Watch out Unigeezer! Well Done you, keep at it.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 04:34 PM   #39
markf80
Addicted to One Wheel

Here is another update video. Sorry about the time out of screen, but no camera man yet.

anyway, a little free mounting and some circular riding. I feel pretty good about the progress I have made, but am still struggling with "stalling" and riding in reverse. One step at a time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1dlKF33Gns
Old 2015-03-21, 12:27 AM   #40
markf80
Addicted to One Wheel

Riding with the kids...

So it has been a little while since I posted a new video update here. I thought I would post two! I made the first one just the other day at the park, and then this one was shot this even at a local vacant lot where my kids and I like to ride. Just some good family fun.

Since my last post on this thread, I have traded in my Schwinn 24" for a Nimbus 29er with a road tire and shadow t-handles. I am now riding miles at a time, and having a blast. Looking back at my beginning videos, I can see how far I have come. Still a long way to go to get to where I want. If only Unigeezer would slow down I might have a chance of catching him!!!

Old 2015-03-21, 04:20 PM   #41
Juni
QX Series 36er -- ABBY!

As I was reading through your thread, following your progress, I had a feeling you'd end up going bigger....its the only way to go, for distance.
Have you had a chance to try a 36er yet?

Thanks very much for this thread. You remind me a lot of me
Old 2015-03-22, 04:53 PM   #42
markf80
Addicted to One Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juni View Post
As I was reading through your thread, following your progress, I had a feeling you'd end up going bigger....its the only way to go, for distance.
Have you had a chance to try a 36er yet?

Thanks very much for this thread. You remind me a lot of me
My dream is a 36er! I have to save a few more pennies!

I love distance riding, but I would also like to get into some muni when I get the chance.

Tags
okayone, progress, thread