Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM   #1
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'

Unhappy grabing the handle with just one hand -> back ache

Hello all
I always told people that unicycling was good for your back.
no more.
I have had recently terrible back ache and the reason is that I grab the handle of my Coker with just my left hand. I am trying to learn with both hands but when it becomes slightly technical off-road I need my flailing right hand ... so my efforts are asymetrical and my back is in a terrible state.
Can you really ride with both hands on the handle when the path becomes technical? (do I need to train more?)
what to do with my poor back?
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM   #2
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbling bear View Post
Hello all
I always told people that unicycling was good for your back.
no more.
I have had recently terrible back ache and the reason is that I grab the handle of my Coker with just my left hand. I am trying to learn with both hands but when it becomes slightly technical off-road I need my flailing right hand ... so my efforts are asymetrical and my back is in a terrible state.
Can you really ride with both hands on the handle when the path becomes technical? (do I need to train more?)
what to do with my poor back?
You could:

1) Alternate: change hands every few hundred metres

2) Ride with your hands both on the seat handle — i often do this and put quite a bit of weight on my hands.

3) Fit a shortish T bar handle with a pair of bar ends.

4) Ride without holding on at all.

I find that riding 1 handed is best when I need to do tight turns or manoeuvres, but I can ride long distances fast (by my standards) with both hands on the saddle handle or bars.

I hope you can make it work for you. Good luck.
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #3
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

Yes you can ride with both hands on the bars all of the time no matter the difficulty. (if you want)

Yes you need to train more.

Early in my riding, I used to go for an entire ride choosing to use only one hand and not the other trying to bring up the non-dominant side for the skill (whichever side it was).
Alternate till you feel no difference between left and right in your handling skills.

Even though it makes sense to approach different obstacles with different handing, I believe it makes you a much better rider if you can handle the obstacle no matter what body position you are in.

Example: people ride up to an obstacle and stop to re-position their pedals for the hop or they hop a certain direction every time. I think this is inefficient riding and poor muscle development for your body. (in your case... riding asymmetrical may be causing back pain)

So other than pushing the dominant side to achieve a "top mark" which is what most do, I prefer to try and achieve a balanced ride and my "top mark" is slowly and naturally going higher and higher every year.

I'll never stop to hop an obstacle, I'll roll off a drop in any pedal position, and unless I'm just rat-bagged I'll mount anywhere on the trail. I believe I can do these because of symmetry and training.

This is what works for me.
(I also took up unicycling to fix my 23" long troubled back and so far so great!)
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #4
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoeheadted View Post

Yes you need to train more.
The original poster, Wobbling Bear, has been a regular in this forum 15 years and is a keen and experienced rider now aged 69. Training more is probably not the right answer in this particular case.
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #5
Setonix
Unicyclist

I mostly switch flailing hands when my left arm gets tired and I also think I should be able to ride with either flailing arm. On long stretches of paved roads, I try to ride with 2 hands on the seat and see how long I can do that without flailing. This has been getting better. Off-road this is still somewhat difficult, but not undoable. I'd say, just keep at it. Even when you don't have a TBar, either ride with hands on the seat or both hands in front of your chest, while riding with a straight back.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:55 AM   #6
DaUniGuy
Training hard for retirement!

I wear something like this when I ride and it really helps! It gives me some support but I believe that how it keep my lower back warm is a big part of it. I just know it helps although mine is a cheapie not a copper fit and was around $10.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...cfbckxxxxxxspm
Old Today, 11:06 AM   #7
rock45
Unicyclist

The poster, Wobbling Bear, has become a routine on this particular forum 1-5 decades and is now a very enthusiastic and knowledgeable aide today obsolete 6 9. Training significantly more is most likely not the most suitable response in this specific scenario.
rock45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
>, ache, back, grabing, hand, handle