Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-08-20, 05:54 PM   #1
ruari
 

Anyone tried a Duro “Beach Bum” (26x3.0/70-559) tyre on a 26" Nimbus Muni

Recently I have been using my 26" Nimbus Muni as more of a road machine for commuting, while my 36"er is out of action.

It has actually worked quite well and is pretty fast by my standards. I already switched to Nimbus Venture2 ISIS 102mm cranks and currently have a Schwalbe “Fat Frank” (26x2.35/60-559) tyre but would like to try something bigger.

The Fat Frank is smaller than the Duro “Wildlife Leopard” (26x3.0/75-559) tyre that the unicycle came with but it has much less rolling resistance, so is faster on a smooth road.

I've had a look around and the biggest tyre that I can find which would likely fit within the Nimbus frame is a Duro “Beach Bum” (26x3.0/70-559). I must admit, I have ordered one already (the black with whitewall variant) but I'm just curious:
  1. Has anyone already tried this tyre and what was their experience?
  2. Is there another 26x3.0 road style tire I missed, that I should have considered?

P.S. I have already noticed the Kenda “Flame” tire (26x3.0/68-559) but it is fractionally smaller and I am not keen on the look of the flame tread pattern.

Last edited by ruari; 2018-08-20 at 06:04 PM.
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-21, 01:06 AM   #2
mrfixit
Unicyclist

I've been thinking the same thing.
mrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-21, 04:32 AM   #3
ruari
 

Well, I'll let you know how it goes then. If I am totally honest I am kinda expecting that the beach bum will make very little positive difference, if any. 10mm to the radius equals 20mm to the diameter and 63mm to the circumference. That is in perfect conditions, which they obviously never are. Manufacturing variation and PSI being two obvious things that will affect the size.

Also, this (until proven) theoretical small increase in distance per revolution could easily be countered by other factors that would slow me down by just as much (or more), e.g. weight, increased rolling resistance, grip, etc.

Schwalbe make great tyres in my experience and so it is pretty likely that the Fat Frank is as good an option as any, unless I can fit a much bigger tyre and somehow have it still clear the frame. That all said, I am curious to try and in the grand scheme of things, it is not that expensive. Also the whitewall look might be interesting (they also make them in red and blue, with and without whitewalls). So even if it is only as good as a Fat Frank it could still be a fun option.

Last edited by ruari; 2018-08-21 at 04:33 AM.
Old 2018-08-21, 06:28 AM   #4
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

You need to get that 36'er rolling again. Is it the bearings? I have spare bearings if you need it. You can pick them up in Schweigaarsgate if you let me know a day in advance.
Old 2018-08-21, 09:42 AM   #5
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniMyra View Post
You need to get that 36'er rolling again. Is it the bearings? I have spare bearings if you need it. You can pick them up in Schweigaarsgate if you let me know a day in advance.
Thanks, very kind but I do have a new set. The problem is not the lack of bearings, the problem is that when I removed the damaged one it broke up leaving only the inner race. There is not enough of an edge to grip this and remove it. I have tried with a nimbus bearing puller and brought the unicycle to a local bike shop who tried with two other types of bearing pullers and tried a few other different methods. Neither I, nor them managed to move it even a fraction of a millimetre. It is really stuck on there.

The next option will have to be to cut it off via a dremel like tool. A friend of mine has one I can try and use but due to holidays (his and mine) I have not had a chance to meet up with him and arrange this.

Last edited by ruari; 2018-08-21 at 09:49 AM.
Old 2018-08-21, 09:48 AM   #6
ruari
 

I should also add that even when I get the 36"er working again I would still like to try this 26"er in a commuting like setup. I would probably primarily use the 36"er for commuting in the spring, summer and autumn but it might be nice to occasionally use the smaller wheel. This is handy if I need to go somewhere else after work (since it is easier to bring it on a bus, tram, etc.). Also good to have if the 36"er is out of action for any reason. And finally, I sometimes go to Iceland or the US for work and it would be much easier to bring the 26"er along with me. If I take it apart and deflate the tyre I could probably get it in my suitcase along with all of my stuff. That would be a little tricky with the big wheel.
Old 2018-08-21, 01:22 PM   #7
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruari View Post
... the problem is that when I removed the damaged one it broke up leaving only the inner race. ...
Did you try heat? Heating up the remaining race by a hot air gun and a propper puller should solve the issue.
kunstrasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-21, 04:56 PM   #8
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunstrasen View Post
Did you try heat? Heating up the remaining race by a hot air gun...
That is not something I have access to
Old 2018-08-28, 08:46 PM   #9
ruari
 

The 36"er is fixed now based on jtrops advice below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrops View Post
if you have a dremel tool, or a small hand held motor tool you can use a cutoff wheel to slot the inner race of the bearing. I would go slowly, and stop before you go through all of the way to protect the spindle. once you get a slot into the race you should be able use a cold chisel, or maybe even a straght screwdriver to break it open, and then it should be easy to pull off. If it is still difficult you may need to make a second slot.
Regarding the 26"er. The Beach Bum has not yet arrived. I'll update when it does.
Old 2018-08-30, 07:46 PM   #10
ruari
 

So the Beach Bum arrived. I must say, so far I am disappointed in the tire. It does not handle nearly so nicely as the Fat Frank. It feels heavier (it is but I did not expect to notice it so much) and it goes where it wants. By this I mean it does not turn so easily or freely as the Fat Frank, thus is it much more affected by camber and it is much harder to do nice, smooth sweeping turns. I went for a little route I sometimes do around my neighbourhood and timed myself and I was quite a bit slowly that I normally am on the same uni with the Fat Frank. I put this down to fighting with the tyre.

I'll try playing with pressures but I don't hold up much hope of it being as good as the Fat Frank.

That all said, I don't feel bad for trying. I was curious to try another semi-fat road tire and I do like the whitewall look. If I hadn't bought it I would have been left curious. So I will play with it a little more but my gut feel is that I'll be switching it back to the Fat Frank.
Old 2018-08-30, 08:50 PM   #11
ruari
 

For the sake of completion, here is how it looks

Old 2018-08-30, 08:54 PM   #12
ruari
 

Here is a previous photo with the Fat Frank for comparison (yes I also changed the seat post since then)

Old 2018-08-30, 08:58 PM   #13
pierrox
Unicyclist

Shame because it has a pretty nice look for sure!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-30, 09:06 PM   #14
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
Well maybe it will still pleasantly surprise me when alter the pressure. It is pretty high, right now. Though, to be honest, I don't hold up much hope.
Old 2018-08-31, 07:32 AM   #15
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
We have a saying in Germany: "Wer schön sein will muss leiden"

translation is > who wants to be beautiful must suffer
kunstrasen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26", 3.0", muni, nimbus, tire, tyre