Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-10-22, 11:54 PM   #16
naturequack
Igloo ceiling

James,
I'll be there for Thanksgiving as well. I'll be staying about a mile from the bottom of the hill where the starting line is. I'm not sure what kind of shape you're in or what you consider to be a big hill. But you can find something that strikes your fancy.
Mt. Diablo, and the Bay Area in general, has a lot of good riding and a bunch of good riders. The locals know the trails much better than I do. I'll bring either my 36 guni or my 26 muni depending on who wants to ride what. I'm game for just about anything.

And for those of you who just read this thread: Jim Sowers and I just raced the Mt Diablo Challenge again a couple of weeks ago. My time was 1:14:14.7 and Jim's time was 1:33:08.0. So it looks like I still have to shave off another minute and a half to break Glenn Drummond's record. Maybe the new skinny 36" tire will make the difference. That and maybe some training...
Geoff

Mustn't sleep! Clowns will eat me!
naturequack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 01:09 AM   #17
tholub
Totally Doable

Most of the climb is not steep, but it's very long. 1000 meters of climb over 20km. If you know what 1000 meters of mostly gradual climb feels like, that's what it feels like. It's hard if you're not in training.

I'm not sure I'll be around Thanksgiving weekend, but if I am, I'd maybe be into doing a ride up on the road and down on the trails. If it's not wet, there are a number of fun big wheel trails on the mountain (not much real MUni). If it's wet the trails are mostly unrideable (sticky mud) but we could get you to some 29er trails which are rideable in the wet.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 01:10 AM   #18
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturequack View Post
And for those of you who just read this thread: Jim Sowers and I just raced the Mt Diablo Challenge again a couple of weeks ago. My time was 1:14:14.7 and Jim's time was 1:33:08.0. So it looks like I still have to shave off another minute and a half to break Glenn Drummond's record. Maybe the new skinny 36" tire will make the difference. That and maybe some training...
Geoff
I saw that on the results page; keep it up, you monster, you're already in Beau territory! Ask Glenn to borrow his custom carbon fiber uni to beat his record. (I saw he was in the race on bike, still well under 1:00).
Old 2012-10-23, 01:11 AM   #19
nathan
BIG rides: 24"/36" on/off road

You want to really avoid doing any Muni at Mt Diablo when it's wet. The mud turns to the most amazing thick heavy glue you've ever seen!
nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 07:36 PM   #20
uniShark
muni commuter

Thanks for the info everyone, and great job to those who rode again this year!

I'm out of shape in the way that I think I could finish the ride, but definitely not in one shot, and probably not in less than 2+ hours. I'm starting to feel like maybe this wouldn't be entirely fun for me at this point in my physique.

I'm just trying to figure out a way to get in a ride while the family has something to do. It's not a vacation if I don't get to uni somewhere new, right (I'm originally from S.F., but have never ridden a uni in California)? So maybe I'll head over to Point Reyes or the Marin Headlands, drop the rest at a beach (kids from Montana find that fascinating!) and hit up some moderate trails. Or perhaps if I bring my Coker I'll see if others want to ride the GG bridge then to Sausalito for lunch or something (I might be able to justify that one if my dad's interesting in joining on two wheels).

pLs forgve anu typist imak win positing forum my fone.
uniShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 05:39 PM   #21
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniShark View Post
Thanks for the info everyone, and great job to those who rode again this year!

I'm out of shape in the way that I think I could finish the ride, but definitely not in one shot, and probably not in less than 2+ hours. I'm starting to feel like maybe this wouldn't be entirely fun for me at this point in my physique.

I'm just trying to figure out a way to get in a ride while the family has something to do. It's not a vacation if I don't get to uni somewhere new, right (I'm originally from S.F., but have never ridden a uni in California)? So maybe I'll head over to Point Reyes or the Marin Headlands, drop the rest at a beach (kids from Montana find that fascinating!) and hit up some moderate trails. Or perhaps if I bring my Coker I'll see if others want to ride the GG bridge then to Sausalito for lunch or something (I might be able to justify that one if my dad's interesting in joining on two wheels).
If you head towards Marin, and you bring your Coker, I'd say your best bet is to do the China Camp loop; it's a really fun big wheel ride, 10 miles with a decent climb and a fun swoopy descent, all on wide singletrack, rideable in the wet. It's also doable on MUni but not as fun (not technical enough).

For a MUni, you could hit Camp Tamarancho, a switchbacky singletrack loop built just for bikes, a bit more techy than China Camp, with some rock gardens.

There's not much legal singletrack in Marin due to the preponderance there of entrenched old rich people. There's none in Point Reyes or the Marin Headlands; there are some fire roads in the Headlands.

As for the Golden Gate, approximately 90% of the time I'd say to skip it. On those rare days when it's clear and not windy it's spectacular, but most of the time when I'm on it I'm just trying to get off it as soon as I can. (Although, if you get a non-rainy day in November that's a better than 10% chance; it's the summer when it's really low probability).

Let us know when you're available and we can see if we can put together a ride.
Old 2012-10-31, 05:04 AM   #22
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Don't forget Rockville Park; not too far up the road from Downieville. $3 entry. The main problem with Rockville is getting lost in there. The place isn't that big, but it's convoluted. However they have a full range of difficulty, including some really gnarly descents, a beautiful rock garden, switchbacks and some nice views. It's probably about a half hour drive from Mt. Diablo, straight up 680 and exiting just east of where it hits I-80.

Park info, including a link to a trail map

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-20, 08:00 PM   #23
unicycleharry
Unicyclist

Anyone planning on riding Mt. Diablo Challenge this year? I just registered for the 1:20+ wave.
unicycleharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-20, 09:27 PM   #24
naturequack
Igloo ceiling

There's a good chance that I'll be there. You'll know it's me because I'll be the one on a unicycle.
Geoff

Mustn't sleep! Clowns will eat me!
naturequack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-20, 10:26 PM   #25
nathan

I haven't done it in a few years. Might do it. Registration is open until Sept 30 (although it will likely sell out before that). $78 now, but goes up on Sept 8: http://www.savemountdiablo.org/activ...ents_chal.html
Old 2015-10-05, 12:29 AM   #26
unicycleharry
Unicyclist

Went out today to ride! I thought it'd be cold and had long sleeves/pants, but ended up going up with just short-sleeve jersey+shorts. It was a bit windy in the middle section, but the wind mostly died down later.
I was nervous since I don't drive much, and I had to drive there in the morning in a rented car. My stomache started to feel not great, and had diarrhea when I got to The Athenian School... I was SOO glad there were so many porta potties there, so I didn't have to wait too long...
Other than that, driving the prius was not that bad.

Many of the bikers I talked to mentioned that they've seen other unicyclists in previous years, some on "huge wheels"! There weren't as many riders as I thought. The results say that there were less than 500 cyclists.
I rode a 29" with 125mm cranks, 1:14:02(.9)

Last edited by unicycleharry; 2015-10-05 at 12:38 AM.
Old 2015-10-05, 01:29 AM   #27
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicycleharry View Post
Went out today to ride! I thought it'd be cold and had long sleeves/pants, but ended up going up with just short-sleeve jersey+shorts. It was a bit windy in the middle section, but the wind mostly died down later.
I was nervous since I don't drive much, and I had to drive there in the morning in a rented car. My stomache started to feel not great, and had diarrhea when I got to The Athenian School... I was SOO glad there were so many porta potties there, so I didn't have to wait too long...
Other than that, driving the prius was not that bad.

Many of the bikers I talked to mentioned that they've seen other unicyclists in previous years, some on "huge wheels"! There weren't as many riders as I thought. The results say that there were less than 500 cyclists.
I rode a 29" with 125mm cranks, 1:14:02(.9)
1:14 is a crazy fast time, just a minute off the uni course record (1:13); great job!

They jacked the prices up quite a bit this year, so maybe they got fewer entries. I know I would have thought about doing it if it were still more like $50.
Old 2015-10-05, 03:52 PM   #28
nathan

Wow, yes 1:14 is awesome. You must be in great shape.
Old 2015-10-05, 05:21 PM   #29
unicycleharry
Unicyclist

Thanks! I decided that since I paid almost $80, I would train and get in shape for it, so I did. Pretty sure I couldn't get much faster.
Old 2015-10-05, 10:22 PM   #30
LanceB
This space available

Congrats on the great job, Harry! (Particularly since I believe you aren't a long-time veteran rider -- 3 or 4 years riding, isn't that right?)
Very impressive! Cheers!

Tags
2009, challenge, diablo, mount