Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-10-05, 10:59 PM   #31
naturequack
Igloo ceiling

Excellent time, Harry. You beat my 2012 time of 1:14:14.7 by 11.8 seconds. Looks like I'll have to start training for next year.
I couldn't make it this year as I was pretty sick the week before.
Geoff

Mustn't sleep! Clowns will eat me!
naturequack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-05, 11:21 PM   #32
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

8.919 mph average over 11.2 miles. Average grade of 5.5%. Very good!

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-06, 11:00 PM   #33
unicycleharry
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
Congrats on the great job, Harry! (Particularly since I believe you aren't a long-time veteran rider -- 3 or 4 years riding, isn't that right?)
Very impressive! Cheers!
Thanks! At the race, I was telling people that I've been riding for a few years, or 3 to 4 years, when they asked. Now that I actually think about it, I'm actually approaching 2.5 years of riding.

Geoff, maybe we'll both be there next year! I had a painful saddle sore zit the week before... so ended up not riding all week and it got better. Made me anxious but I also felt rested

Here's a pic of me descending.
http://photos.heinphoto.com/smd/bike...608c#h5aeb608c
Attached Images

Last edited by unicycleharry; 2015-10-06 at 11:00 PM.
unicycleharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-09, 11:51 PM   #34
aarons
Eating a sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicycleharry View Post
so ended up not riding all week and it got better. Made me anxious but I also felt rested
That's the way to do it. If you're really prepared, then that last week should be about resting. Nice job.
aarons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-28, 10:10 PM   #35
unicycleharry
Unicyclist

http://www.savemountdiablo.org/activ...ents_chal.html

This year's is on Sep 25th. It's $80(even more than last year), but there's supposed to be bbq at the top. Anyone participating this year?

I'll probably ride a 29er again; not sure which wave to choose. They said any wave 3 through 6 is the same since everyone is individually chip-timed.

Last edited by unicycleharry; 2016-07-28 at 10:16 PM.
Old 2016-09-02, 07:18 AM   #36
unicycleharry
Unicyclist

I just signed up for wave 3. Last day before registration price goes up is tomorrow.
Old 2018-08-28, 08:52 PM   #37
Geolojas
Unicyclist

I'm in!

The Mount Diablo Challenge has an official unicycle category for 2018!

I just registered for the race, and I'm planing on riding my lightweight 29" wheel with 125mm cranks.

Is anyone else here signed up?

Here's a link to the race page: http://www.mountdiablochallenge.org/
Old 2018-08-28, 09:14 PM   #38
nathan
BIG rides: 24"/36" on/off road

Angry

It's a fun race. I'll be unicycling across Italy on that day though so can't make it.
nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-21, 06:18 PM   #39
Geolojas
Unicyclist

Tackling long, slow climbs

Hey everyone! Iíve been training for the Mount Diablo Challenge for the past couple months, basically riding up as many hills as possible, and making a special effort to find long hills with similar gradient. Iíve been riding hills in the foothills nearby, and I have had one training ride on Mount Diablo itself. I plan on riding a 29Ē wheel with 125mm cranks for the race.

Iíve found that the long duration climb (Mt. Diablo is 11.2 miles to the summit) is a much different animal than the steep, short climbs Iím more used to. I canít just mash up this hill and expect my momentum to carry me through; my lungs would fall out halfway through the first section.

I summited the mountain in 2 hours and 25 minutes on my dry run, but this required more than 10 stops along the way to catch my breath. I would love to cut down on the number of rest stops, but how do I maintain enough momentum to keep moving, yet slow enough that I donít max out my V02? Iím wondering if there is some technique that Iím missing, or do I just need to keep working on my endurance?
Old 2018-09-21, 06:36 PM   #40
nathan
BIG rides: 24"/36" on/off road

I am not sure what really is the best cycle for that climb. I've done it always on 36, about 10 or 12 times. My fastest time was on 150s but I've tried 140s and even 125s but that makes the steep part SO hard.

In the race we typically climb it in one shot although it's hard as you get psyched and once you start passing some bikes it's hard to go slow. But you have to take advantage of the less steep parts (especially around Rock City). For me the hardest part is the climb to the Devil's Elbow - it's long and usually hot. Once you get there the last mile or so is easier but save up for that summit climb and you can usually pass a few bikes on that. On that last climb, just concentrate only on the few feet ahead of you, get in a rhythm and do not stop for anything.

The really fit guys who've done it get under 1:20 and the record is 1:13 still as far as I know. Justin's motor assist uni time in 2010 doesn't count of course. For me under 1:30 is a good time. I recommend just building up, and as you said, eliminate the rest stops as much as possible. Drink electrolyte stuff especially if it's hot. It's a good training ride in the winter. Most of all have fun - it's a great ride and a fun race.
nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-21, 07:55 PM   #41
Geolojas
Unicyclist

Thanks Nathan,

You mentioned three things which, I'm hoping, will help me out on race day:

1) better cardio fitness. Really, this climb is all about the cardio, and I'll have another month or so of training on race day.
2) electrolytes. I didn't have any last time and I regretted it.
3) Taking advantage of the less steep parts and adjusting effort/pacing to match. Having ridden the route now, I can visualize what's coming up, so I hope I'll be better at that next time.

I'll be ecstatic if I can break 2 hours this time around. 1h30m is about what it took me to ride back DOWN the mountain. You're a beast!

Thanks again!
Old 2018-09-29, 07:36 PM   #42
unicycleharry
Unicyclist

I just registered and booked my flights
Hope to see you all there!

Tags
2009, challenge, diablo, mount