Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-04-15, 12:17 PM   #31
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 29x2" on a Dominator 2 rim is an absolute dream, and doesn't seem affected by road camber at all. I dump about 40-50psi into it.

My Vee Trax Fatty 29x3 on the same rim, however, chucks me off just from riding a slightly wonky pavement. It's amazing on dirt, but on road it's ridiculous. No idea what pressure I put into this, I put 30 into it just to get it to mount correctly (The bead is very fiddly) and just deflate it until comfortable.

Halo Twin Rail 29x2.2" isn't as good as the Marathon, but it's miles better than the Vee. I've done shedloads of miles with this tyre on-road and never had any complaints! This was on a Qu-Ax rim though, not the Dominator, so not sure how much that'd affect it.

Qu-Ax TA 36" tyre doesn't seem to be affected by camber, but I do pump it up a lot harder than its recommended (About 40-45). I've used both the regular and light version and they both feel pretty much the same (except the weight obviously). This is on a Qu-Ax Marathon rim.

I have no idea how much I weigh, so... yeah
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-15, 08:52 PM   #32
Blaznee
Unicyclist

To big apple users, which grip was on the tire ? I saw different ones on that tire.
Blaznee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-16, 02:00 AM   #33
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaznee View Post
Hello,

I'm posting here to get some help with crown issues.

I've read several topics about, but it doesn t solve my problem, I saw everywhere that round tires and high pressure would help, and big apple 2.0 tire wasn t sensitive, but with me it s the opposite.

I'm riding the 29" with a dominator 2 rim, big apple 2.0 tire inflated at about 60 psi, any small crown is very sensitive, and when crown is more than about 15% I can't control the unicycle anymore

At same time, I also have a 24" muni with a 3" fat tire (duro) that I ride with low pressure (about 18 psi), and with 15% crown I don t feel anything, even with 30% I don t have any problem, so I don t understand anything.

Any suggestion please ?
How long have you been riding the 29er? When I first got my 29er, which had a Dominator Rim and 2" Big Apple tire, I had tons of trouble with road camber. It took several months for me to stop feeling twisted. Previously I had no camber issues with my 24" wheel.

I've ridden thousands of miles on Big Apple tires and currently ride on a Marathon Supreme. The Big Apple and Marathon are very similar except the Marathon is lighter because it's a foldable tire.

If your are new to riding a 29er then perhaps your body (or strength) hasn't adjusted to it yet. Also have you checked whether your wheel is true? I did have mine slightly adjusted and it seemed to help.

Looking back, I believe I didn't have enough body strength in my torso to handle the 29er. The problem went away after becoming a stronger rider.

My tire is at about 40 PSI. 60 is too much.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-16, 02:29 AM   #34
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
How long have you been riding the 29er?
I think in general the longer you ride the more you learn to tackle road camber. When i first learned to ride i had a lot of difficulty with the road crown. My 29" I ride with 35psi. That is also a nice pressure when riding over bumps and through pits in the road. High pressure makes the tire bounce too much. Personally when the road declines to the right, i can better handle it then when it declines to the left. As for which way to direct the wheel, i reckon you should adjust to what feels more natural to you. Also on cycle paths i try to ride on the topmost side - either the middle or left side (we ride on the righthand side here)
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-16, 10:38 AM   #35
Blaznee
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
How long have you been riding the 29er? When I first got my 29er, which had a Dominator Rim and 2" Big Apple tire, I had tons of trouble with road camber. It took several months for me to stop feeling twisted. Previously I had no camber issues with my 24" wheel.

I've ridden thousands of miles on Big Apple tires and currently ride on a Marathon Supreme. The Big Apple and Marathon are very similar except the Marathon is lighter because it's a foldable tire.

If your are new to riding a 29er then perhaps your body (or strength) hasn't adjusted to it yet. Also have you checked whether your wheel is true? I did have mine slightly adjusted and it seemed to help.

Looking back, I believe I didn't have enough body strength in my torso to handle the 29er. The problem went away after becoming a stronger rider.

My tire is at about 40 PSI. 60 is too much.

Some hundread miles only, I had to stop cause of knee pain due to camber excessives corrections.

How do you check the wheel is true ?
Old 2018-04-16, 01:29 PM   #36
Setonix
Unicyclist

[QUOTE=Blaznee;1695114

How do you check the wheel is true ?[/QUOTE]

If you have a brake on it, spin the wheel an if it touches the brake on one side it should be trued.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-16, 02:44 PM   #37
Blaznee
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
If you have a brake on it, spin the wheel an if it touches the brake on one side it should be trued.
Ok, thanks. I don't have a brake, but I see what you mean, I'll do with a pencil.
Old 2018-04-16, 03:45 PM   #38
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Some hundread miles only, I had to stop cause of knee pain due to camber excessives corrections.

How do you check the wheel is true ?
The other thing to check is to see if the seat is in line with the wheel/frame. Also of you are riding on cambered roads consistently some have reported turning the saddle a little out of line with the wheel to compensate for the camber.

Another non-tire changing option is to shift your weight to the up hill side of the camber. Some have good luck by shifting sideways a little on the saddle and others have shifted to one side by changing their arm postilion. Just by holding the seat handle with one hand and holding the other arm out to the side away from the body a little will change the center off gravity a little.
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-16, 09:21 PM   #39
Blaznee
Unicyclist

I know some ways to correct camber on my other unicycles, but on my 29 it's just impossible, don't know why.
Can't move saddle to help, camber is maybe 20% on a side, then 10 meters later it's opposite, then 200m on left, then on right again, and it's like that all time long. Roads (if we can call that roads) are evil here
Old 2018-04-17, 12:37 AM   #40
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

Knee strengthening exercises along with a little less of the 29" vs. evil roads.
BUT... of course keep them up because learning how to deal with shitty conditions makes everything else easy.

Something you might try is to reset your seating.

As you ride along and start to encounter undesirable unicycle control because of camber, then stand up on your pedals and push down with your hand(s) to gain control of the unicycle.
After 2-5 revolutions then sit down again.
If the problem is still there then stand up again and repeat.

Another small trick I find that works is to use handlebars and apply a little rotational force to them to counteract the camber. I rotate clockwise for right camber and counterclockwise for left camber.
Little camber=small force / Large camber=larger force

Maybe?

Oh ya... get handlebars if you don't have them yet.
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM   #41
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoeheadted View Post
Another small trick I find that works is to use handlebars and apply a little rotational force to them to counteract the camber. I rotate clockwise for right camber and counterclockwise for left camber.
Little camber=small force / Large camber=larger force

Maybe?

Oh ya... get handlebars if you don't have them yet.
I also use the same trick to counter wobbling. I'm conditioning myself using strong hands on handlebars when pushing hard in high gear
Vogelfrei80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM   #42
Blaznee
Unicyclist

I tried those differents advices today, but nothing better.

When road is cambered on right ( \ ) it's ok, not any problem, but when it's on left ( / ) that s almost impossible to control.
Even on flat road, it feels like a left camber, and If I don't correct it turns left quickly.

I don't have this problem on others uni, I can control camber whatever the side, until cranks touch the road.
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #43
Canapin
Unicyclist

Nothing seems off-center on your uni? Distance between each side of the tire and the frame? Have you tried to turn your frame (with and without turning the seatpost too) front to back? Your pedals will unscrew, but you should be able to ride long enough to see if the issue is then on the other side. Maybe try to invert your tire direction too? Maybe an air chamber manufacturing defect that would make it inflated more on one side?

Last edited by Canapin; Yesterday at 07:57 PM.
Canapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM   #44
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
I tried those differents advices today, but nothing better.

When road is cambered on right ( \ ) it's ok, not any problem, but when it's on left ( / ) that s almost impossible to control.
Even on flat road, it feels like a left camber, and If I don't correct it turns left quickly.

I don't have this problem on others uni, I can control camber whatever the side, until cranks touch the road.
Since the problem seems to be different depending if the camber is to the right or left and the Big Apple tire tread is different depending on how it is installed, a suggestion would be to try reversing the tire on the rim and see what happens. Some tires do have a correct direction of rotation marked on the tire and that rotation may change depending if installed on the front or rear of a bicycle. I don't know how that would convert to a unicycle but switching the tire around may be something to try.

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:37 AM   #45
song
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
a suggestion would be to try reversing the tire on the rim and see what happens.
Possibly. Sometimes seemingly tiny details can make a world of difference on a unicycle, but I don't think reversing the tire will help in this particular case. Blaznee posted a photo of his uni on the "Pictures of your latest ride" thread, and, in addition to having the same tire, rim and unicycle as I do (except for the handlebars, which I don't have), he also has his tread pointing in the same direction. I can only conclude that there is either something weird about Blaznee or there is something weird about his unicycle. Given that he doesn't have this same problem on other unicycles, the best bet would probably be for him to follow the advice posted just above by Canapin.
song is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crown, issues, tire