Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-02-01, 06:07 AM   #16
OutdoorJunkie
Addicted to muni!

It's looking more likely I might be able to do it... any tips for nutrition and what have you done in the past re water, I have a 3L camelbak and ussualy use bars and barly sugars, I would definatly need more than 3L water
OutdoorJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 12:12 PM   #17
napalm
Because i can.

As far as I can remember, some of the other riders last year were able to get a water bottle (and whatever nutrition you can tape to it) given to them at the 1/2 way point- they had to give it to race organisers early on race day.

For my Karapoti race I had a GU energy gel every 45 min (5 all up), and had 2 bladders in my camelback- 2.5l water, and 2l potent staminade (electrolyte sports drink). I also had 1 muesli bar and one peanut and chocolate slab.

As for advice- find a copy of the race description/map and study it. You don't want to be racing with no idea of what is left for you to ride. Know the climbs, when you need to push hard and when you can relax. Drink before you are thirsty, eat before you are hungry. Wear lycra cycling nics (no undies!) and get some chamois butter for your taint- No need for over shorts (they will just chafe really bad after the river crossing that starts the race)

Watch the other categories starting before you to find out the best river crossing point. Be courteous to faster riders passing you on the flats, and humble when you overtake them on the climbs. Oh, and try to have fun! Its a tough race and the conditions can be pretty dire but it is also a great challenge. Best of luck with it. Make sure you do a write up with your experience afterwards.

Mark

http://www.markandhisunicycle.wordpress.com
napalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 04:06 AM   #18
OutdoorJunkie
Addicted to muni!

Thanks for the great advice Mark! I've decided to do the Karapoti another year when I have time to do proper training and will hopefuly have improved my back injury..
OutdoorJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, australian, calendar, enduro, fun, join, mtb