Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2013-08-02, 03:43 PM   #1
BigWheelTex
Unicyclist

Nightrider tire pressure

I recently spoke to UDC about a brand new nightrider tire blowing off the rim and he asked me what pressure I run and where I'm from. I told him I'm from Austin, Tx and I run usually 55 to 60psi and he immediately said that that is way too high a pressure for that tire. He also said because of the heat in Texas I should probably run the pressure around 40psi. This is my third or fourth nightrider tire and have always run 55 to 60psi without a blowout. Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this. Thanks.

Aj
BigWheelTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-02, 03:48 PM   #2
LanceB
This space available

From the UDC Nightrider page:
"Pressure Rating: 35 - 65PSI (250 450kpa)"

Personally, I like a firm tire, and usually run about 50-55lbs. Never had a problem, but if the temp's around 100, it's too hot to go out riding, imho.
How old is the tire? Could be a defect.
Old 2013-08-02, 06:15 PM   #3
BigWheelTex
Unicyclist

It's a brand new tire. Got it from UDC last week.
Old 2013-08-02, 06:16 PM   #4
BigWheelTex
Unicyclist

Lance,
I ride in 100+ as much as possible. I thrive in the heat. I guess I live in the right place. Haha.

Aj
Old 2013-08-02, 09:44 PM   #5
Laceychaput
Unicyclist

When I was in houston tx I ran it at 50 to 55 psi
Laceychaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 12:23 AM   #6
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

They're rated to 65 so the guy you talked to doesn't know what he's talking about...

I run 45, but that's only cause it's tubeless. I ran 60 tubed.
Old 2013-08-03, 06:50 AM   #7
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

I have posted this earlier in another tread:

My first Nightrider exploded. Sidewall blew out. This was a brand new tyre, and I had pumped it to 65 psi which was ridiculous since I was riding on gravel roads. I had ridden for an hour maybe when I left it in the sun and went to buy something to drink. And then after 1 or 2 minutes: BANG!

UDC Sweden replaced it free of charge.

After that I've never ran more than 50 psi.
Old 2013-08-03, 10:34 PM   #8
Moron
Unicyclist

A couple of the riders in Dallas did. One guy looked into it in depth, looking at specific wheel and tire batch combinations. I'll steer them to this discussion.

I run mine at 65 psi routinely without incident (including at the Hotter n Hell Hundred when it was 109 degrees).
Moron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 12:54 AM   #9
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

I believe that the bigger a rim gets, the less secure is the "security" of an imperfectly seated tire vs, tire pressure. In other words, the combination of a large rim and high tire pressure can increase the chance of a blowout if the tire is seated just a bit off, where it probably wouldn't make any difference at a smaller rim size.

65 psi sounds really high to me, as I find that higher pressures make the tire too "square". It doesn't turn as well for me, and I find that a much lower pressure makes it track more nicely around curves, as well as providing a smoother ride. At what cost in friction I'm not sure, but that's what works for me. All you high pressure riders are making me curious though--maybe I'll try a much higher pressure again some time...

"I was younger then, but it felt at the time like it was going like poo off a spade. Great fun." -- Mikefule (he's British)
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 01:02 AM   #10
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

I go by what "feels" right, not by a number on a tire gauge.

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 02:13 AM   #11
Davey
Noob

I am in with John.

I run mine at about 20 - 30 PSI. At the higher end it just feels harsh and bumpy.

For the lower end as long as you are not hitting the rim as you ride over things (Bumps in the trail, curbs etc..) you should be fine.

Otherwise go with your feelings. If it is to soft it will feel squishy and wobble to much and just feel spongy. If it is to hard then it will feel like you are riding on a hard board that just smacks you in the neither regions every time you go over a bump.

At UNACC i don't think i ran anything over 25 - 30 PSI even for the marathon.

Davey
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 03:24 AM   #12
muni tasmania
| www.municycle.com.au |

When i put a foss tube up to around 50psi and it really didnt like it,
when off like a shot gun just below my head and blew out the bead from within...

I think my ears have stopped ringing now so my new Nightrider is around 40psi. More for me seems a bumpy rough ride. Less tends to not roll as well but quite grippy and forgiving.

Depends what surface you mostly ride and to what comfort and performance level you want from it.

I will be going tubeless for my 36 Schlumpf build if i get her to bead. Not getting flats and being able to safely run lower pressures is really appealing.

I am a stickler for forever running way to much pressure and miss out on so much more performance of what i ride
muni tasmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 04:16 AM   #13
knoxuni
wes style!!

Send a message via Skype™ to knoxuni
I used to run high pressure also but have dropped down some for traction
Old 2013-08-04, 09:30 AM   #14
unibokk
Unicyclist

Scotthue runs 30 psi and he is a world champion. I run up to 30 psi myself. I find 65 psi makes the wheel a bit twitchy and bouncy and therefore less stable. It gives you more speed with less control. If you leave your wheel with 65 psi, parked under direct strong sunlight the wheel rim can get very hot and may cause the fully expanded tube to expand even more until it explodes. BOOM!! A blow out may be caused by a flaw/weak spot in the tube.
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 03:46 PM   #15
Moron
Unicyclist

Hmm.... I run 65... Because I always have. I attribute it to coming from a road cycling background, where 120 psi was pretty normal. I'll be going out today to try 30.

I feel... Incurious.
Moron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nightrider, pressure, tire