Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 02:08 AM   #61
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

Most of my UPD's, I would say I fall in front of the unicycle, and mostly I land on my feet.

Most of my attempts also end up with the unicycle swerving to the right. The parking lot has columns roughly 26 ft apart. That is how I gauge my distance. So instead of going straight, I end up on a diagonal run towards a column on the front right. I mount my uni using a column on the rear left. I am to the right of this column as I push off with my left hand. Perhaps there is also a slight slope towards the right, but I have no level gauge to confirm this. Maybe these two factors are making me swerve to right.

This morning, I managed to unicycle to the end of the parking lot which is roughly 208 ft (occurs once only in a one hour session) . I need to learn how to turn right so I can continue .
TwoLeftFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:27 AM   #62
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoLeftFeet View Post
Most of my UPD's, I would say I fall in front of the unicycle, and mostly I land on my feet.
Well that is a positive. Much better than falling off the back.

Put simply this means you either leaned too far forwards of didn't pedal enough, but that is pretty obvious of course. More subtly you may be systematically leaning even further forwards in your effort to accelerate the wheel so you never quite catch up with the fall.

A big part of riding involves managing the reaction forces to avoid making the problem worse as you make corrections. Try to bring the reaction forces in your body more vertical or even slightly backwards so that you accelerate the wheel and slow down your body at the same time.

If you overdo this factor you will go into oscillation, so if you find yourself in a cycle of rapidly accelerating and decelerating you will know to bring the reaction movements a little more forwards.

Another factor is bringing the unicycle too vertical. This tends to happen as you strive to get your weight onto the seat so it often ends the run just when you thought you were getting there. The moment the frame reaches forward of vertical you are nearly guaranteed of a forward dismount.

Maintain the lean of your body slightly forwards so the uni frame leans slightly backwards, keeping your centre of mass above the contact point. This gives you more room for error in getting the wheel in the right position under you. It is harder to put your weight in the seat like this so it is matter of finding the sweet compromise. Try keeping a little more weight on the pedals for now.

It only takes a small lean forward of the body to achieve this geometry. Be careful not to hunch over. Try to control your position from the hips. Think about your movements in terms of being hinged or gimballed at the hips.

Quote:
Most of my attempts also end up with the unicycle swerving to the right.
Could you be putting more power into one leg than the other? Or perhaps you are over-correcting when falling to the right?

Quote:
Perhaps there is also a slight slope towards the right, but I have no level gauge to confirm this. Maybe these two factors are making me swerve to right.
Very likely that there is a slope on the surface for drainage.

Quote:
This morning, I managed to unicycle to the end of the parking lot which is roughly 208 ft (occurs once only in a one hour session) .
Hey, that is a sixty percent improvement over 130 feet. You are not far from success.

Quote:
I need to learn how to turn right so I can continue .
You are probably steering by twisting the uni under you. It is hard to do it any other way until you can ride fairly well in a straight line. Focus on the pressure of your thighs on the nose of the saddle and see what you can observe.

Try turning your upper body in the direction you want to turn. You might notice the pressure at your thighs. At first you will probably dismount but eventually you will compensate your balance at the same time.

Ultimately you need to lean the uni to turn. Lean by tilting your hips and counter-leaning your body to keep the contact point under you. Again you will probably dismount until you get the feel for it.

Don't despair. You are getting really close.

Last edited by OneTrackMind; Today at 04:34 AM.
OneTrackMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:18 AM   #63
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

https://vimeo.com/361453673

Hmmm .... so excited ... ha ha ha ....
Old Today, 06:29 AM   #64
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Congratulations. You are looking pretty stable. Now to embed the skill by repeating it a lot then start working on the turn.
Old Today, 06:42 AM   #65
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

Thank you. Your posts helps a lot. I will read and re-read your post, takes a while to digest everything in. I am experiencing the oscillations.
Old Today, 10:33 AM   #66
BruceC
Unicyclist

Quote:
I went back to the wall because I was scared. That probably slowed my progress.
Loose the wall, loose it now. Every time you use the wall you loose some of what you have gained. As mentioned by others, if something goes wrong work out why you stopped. It's probably something basic like where you look or how you sit.

Initially a wall will help you ride. A wall will never help you KEEP riding. If you can ride 130', you can ride. A wall now will only stop you from falling, and learning.
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:27 PM   #67
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

Yes I am training without walls for now.

But what about learning idling, wouldn't a wall (or a lamp post) help?
Old Today, 01:41 PM   #68
Gockie
Gal who started riding at nearly 41

Quote:
Yes I am training without walls for now.

But what about learning idling, wouldn't a wall (or a lamp post) help?
Good job! I'd suggest you should work on your steering and freemounting now. They'll be the things you'll need to ride practically. Dismounting graciously is also something to learn now, but that doesn't need specific training.
After that, get experience with small hills/slopes.

For idling, the best advice I've received is learn to go forwards, then lean back and pedal backwards then get your body neutral (forwards) and ride forwards again. Repeat over and over. You can be near a railing for that, but it's really about the feel. You can feel when you are balanced.
But my bad news, I've been riding 2 years now and I still haven't mastered idling. So don't be surprised if you have no progress with it for a loooonnnngggg time. However my 12 yo. neighbour kid got it (forwards-backwards-forwards) basically first time I said for him to try it without being anywhere near a fence...... He also was happy to roll off kerbs with very little experience too.

Last edited by Gockie; Today at 01:41 PM.
Gockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
omg