Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-06-13, 03:32 PM   #151
Quax1974
Wobbly

I agree on the Muni

I enjoy cross country riding and enjoy it so much I have not even spend 1 hour on idling or even bothered learning to ride backwards.
And I'm close to riding two years now.

Really, considering you're only 4 months into it, I think you're doing a great job.
Just take care not to frustrate yourself.

Sometimes you just gotta ride
Quax1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-13, 06:25 PM   #152
Garp
Monocycliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
My consumerist solution to your problems is: Buy a muni!
The thing is, I have zero interest in MUni. At least for now.
What interests me in unicycling is the trials/flatland stuff.

Quote:
(...) the internal voice in your head telling you "I should learn this/that".
Oh but it's not "I should", it's "I want"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quax1974 View Post
Really, considering you're only 4 months into it, I think you're doing a great job.
Thank you It's nice of you to say.
It's more the 300 hours that's bothering me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quax1974 View Post
Just take care not to frustrate yourself.
Erm.. I'm probably 4 months too late for that.

What I mean to say is that I know in which direction I want to go.
How far in that direction I'll be able to go is something else. We'll see.
It's just going to take ages to get there.

Thankfully, being a slow learner since forever, I've compensated by developing a good dose of obstination.

On a more positive note, idling is progressing nicely and wheel walking feels a little less scary.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 08:04 AM   #153
Setonix
Unicyclist

I dont think you should worry too much about how long it takes to learn certain tricks. As long as ur enjoying yourself along the way. I dont have any aim to learn many tricks. Just love to ride where and whenever. I have the rest of my life to improve where needed.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-22, 03:00 AM   #154
Garp
Monocycliste

Quick question:

I just broke a spoke, for no apparent reason.
I then checked the others (which I had never done since I bought the uni) and it's a bit of a joke. About a third of the nipples were completely loose (by several turns) and the rest very eneven, with barely any tension.

Can I retrue the wheel with one less spoke (while waiting for new spokes to arrive) or is it just going to mess up the rim?
This is for normal beginner activities, so no big drops or other demanding strains.

Bonus Q: How do I measure a spoke (from where to where, to make sure I order the right size)?
Old 2019-06-22, 02:35 PM   #155
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
After I broke my first spoke, I had it replaced. Not long after, another spoke broke. After a third spoke broke, I had the wheel re-built. That was on my muni. Same chain of events happened on my trials uni. The cause was threefold, I think: 1. I was not educated about spoke adjustment (it still scares me). 2. I have been told the quality of spokes on some out-of-the-box unicycles are less than premium. 3. I was starting to use techniques putting a lot of tension on the spokes, such as hopping and steep hill climbing.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-22, 04:07 PM   #156
Garp
Monocycliste

Quote:
After I broke my first spoke, I had it replaced. Not long after, another spoke broke. After a third spoke broke, I had the wheel re-built. That was on my muni. Same chain of events happened on my trials uni.
That chain of events is exactly what I had in mind.

Quote:
I was not educated about spoke adjustment (it still scares me).
Me too, but since the wheel was seriously twisted with the tire rubbing hard on the frame, I figured I didn't have much to lose. Good time to actually try.
I bared the rim, used the frame as a stand and 20 minutes later the wheel was fine both radially and laterally.

I'll see what happens after next practice.
Old 2019-06-27, 01:46 PM   #157
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
I'll see what happens after next practice.
Probably next practice they all come loose at the same time.

So far the only probs I had were that one of the bolts that keep the frame connected to the hub had snapped off and from another uni a flange of the hub had broken off. I have no idea how that had happened. I'm too chicken to do any serious muni-ing and ride mostly just relaxed XC;
Old 2019-06-27, 02:14 PM   #158
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
My consumerist solution to your problems is: Buy a muni! Riding muni is less about judging yourself and more about being in the zone. Your progress on muni is determined by how how adapt to external factors (the trail/hill/obstacle) rather than by the internal voice in your head telling you "I should learn this/that".
Yeah and also since you can go bigger distances with a municycle, riding on uneven sandy roads you also get a good feel of what the balance area is. When I ride in my forest I can sometimes semi hop over some protruding roots and lately I've been focusing more on riding through very soft sand. It is quite a challenge and often I find out that the uni is more capable of traversing it than I imagine in my mind.
Also sandy roads with many holes can be quite tricky. As soon as the uni starts bouncing I tumble off.
Old 2019-06-27, 02:44 PM   #159
song
Unicyclist

All new unicycles need their spokes tightened after a few weeks or months. There is a 3x3 method for tightening them described here that is safe and effective for a wheel that is not out of true.

I once had a spoke breaking every couple of weeks. It was on a wheel that I had just rebuilt, and I eventually figured out that what had caused the problem was that I had re-used the original spokes without paying attention to which ones had been trailing spokes and which ones had been leading spokes in their previous lives. I kept replacing individual spokes, which my local bike shop did not always cut to exactly the right length, and more spokes kept breaking, so finally I ordered a set of 40 identical spokes from Ebay and rebuilt my wheel again. That was several years ago, and not a single spoke has broken since then. I have barely even had to true it or re-tighten it. Some people would say that once spokes start breaking, it's better to just throw them all out and rebuild, and that is what I ended up doing, but Garp probably doesn’t need to resort to such a drastic measure. Replacing a spoke, truing his wheel, bringing it up to tension, and truing it one last time should be enough.

Spoke length is measured from the “elbow” of the spoke to the end. There are also various online spoke length calculators. I think UDC even has its own. I definitely would not true my wheel until it’s got all of its spokes, though.

Last edited by song; 2019-06-27 at 02:45 PM.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-27, 04:22 PM   #160
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
I then checked the others (which I had never done since I bought the uni) and it's a bit of a joke. About a third of the nipples were completely loose (by several turns) and the rest very eneven, with barely any tension.
That sucks. Yes, it's a good idea to check and retighten spokes on a new wheel after a few rides. But there are also thousands of people that don't do that, and don't get issues, so I'd say it's a combination of you being unlucky, and whoever build that wheel making a mistake.
Quote:
Can I retrue the wheel with one less spoke (while waiting for new spokes to arrive) or is it just going to mess up the rim?
This is for normal beginner activities, so no big drops or other demanding strains.
Yes. One less spoke is generally fine, as long as the rest of them are reasonably tight. As song said, I wouldn't spend much time truing it with one spoke missing, just get them reasonably even and true-ish, and do a proper job once I have all spokes.
Quote:
Bonus Q: How do I measure a spoke (from where to where, to make sure I order the right size)?
Inside of the bend, to end of spoke. If in doubt (or between two sizes) , 1mm less tends to be better than 1mm longer.

On my 19" unicycles, which after a few years always seem to have bent rims (ride enough street or trials, and that'll just happen, unless you check and tighten spokes after every single jump), I try to find a compromise between a wheel that's running true, and even spoke tension. If you pull the wheel straight with a bent rim, your spoke tension won't be even, and spokes will break/losen faster. If your wheel is too wobbly, it gets annoying too. Never really easy to find a decent middleground.
Old 2019-06-27, 05:39 PM   #161
Garp
Monocycliste

Thanks for all the tips, people

I did go for some middleground between truing and getting even (enough) tension throughout. It's been 4 or 5 days now, 4 hrs a day and the wheel has stayed true, though I'll have another pass tomorrow since some spokes feel a bit 'soft'.

When the spoke broke, the wheel went immediately sideways, rubbing hard against the frame. It's as if that one spoke was holding the wheel all by itself. No wonder it broke!

Anyway, I haven't ordered the new spokes already since the shipping price from UDC (either UK or Germany) is a bit ridiculous.

edit: forgot to say thanks for how to measure the spoke.

Last edited by Garp; 2019-06-27 at 05:40 PM.
Old 2019-06-27, 05:51 PM   #162
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:

Anyway, I haven't ordered the new spokes already since the shipping price from UDC (either UK or Germany) is a bit ridiculous.

Try a few local bike stores, I've succesfully got spokes the right length for a 19" once at one. If theres any BMX specific stores around you, I'd try those first.
Old 2019-06-28, 11:48 AM   #163
song
Unicyclist

Yeah, spokes are not unicycle-specific. Some weird ones do exist, mostly for racing bikes, but those would be the wrong length anyway. As long as spokes are the right length and thickness (usually 14 gauge), they should be fine for your unicycle, and you can order them from any website that sells that kind of stuff. If you have a good BMX store in your area, you are lucky!
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-28, 06:13 PM   #164
Garp
Monocycliste

I can idle! (360 hrs)

Not consistently yet but repeatedly 20 to 30 cycles on either side.

It's not exactly elegant and I move and rotate way too much. So I'm not done yet.
But the first thing I'm going to work on is putting more of my weight back on the seat (again) since the burn in my thigh is now the limiting factor in the number of swings.

It did take about 5 or 6 times longer to learn than riding.

Thanks again guys for all the info about the spokes.
I'll look online since there are no shops at all (bmx or else) around here.
Old 2019-06-28, 11:16 PM   #165
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
It's not exactly elegant and I move and rotate way too much.
I'm guessing this is how most people learn to idle. Unless you rotate "too much", you're not going to stay on.

Not sure what you mean by "move" way too much. Do you mean you're flailing your arms a lot, or that your tire rotates a lot during the idle? There was some discussion on another thread about small vs. large idles. I personally never found small idles to be comfortable. Reversing the wheel direction at such quick intervals made me feel stress in my knees. I prefer idling slow, half-revs between the 3:00/9:00 and 9:00/3:00 position...with momentary still-stands between each idle.

Congratulations, Garp! Sounds like you're breaking through. Before long, you'll be able to idle until you get bored!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, learning, milestones, progress