Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-06-13, 09:44 AM   #1
mindbalance
☞ Mind Your Balance ☜

Location: Bath Spa, England #1: Nimbus Oregon 26" MUni #2: Kris Holm 36 Disk + T-bar #3: Triton-Surly 24" LM MUni #4: Kris Holm 29 (Stock 2015)
Red face Seat post cut - a stupid mistake

Hello all
I made a rather basic error and had my LBS cut my new seatpost - and I based it on the letters on KH’s all in one seatpost. Of course the post I was basing this off has the letters printed lower down then in the post being cut!

Yep really daft and I am kicking myself now as I shouldn’t have been in such a rush.

Anyway, it means that about 2” of post are in the frame’s stem (and fully clamped past the grove at the top) - however this is in a 36er with the saddle all the way down - at the lowest possible setting.

My question is - will this be safe to ride like this? Naturally I’d prefer it to have one more inch of seatpost in the frame - but I cannot face buying another post if I can help it. I’m presuming the forces on this use case are less given that the post in all the way down - but I wanted to check here. I do use a touring bar so I guess that may add it the strains but I cannot really see that a post 1 inch longer would improve in the set up’s ridgidity.

All advice gratefully received :-)
Old 2018-06-13, 12:07 PM   #2
Moslki
Unicyclist

I’m sure I’ve got just 2” left of seat post in some of my Munis (when changing the cranks length/hole setting in the KH 127/150 cranks) and I’ve never had a problem so far...
Moslki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-13, 03:22 PM   #3
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

2" sounds okay. I think the minimum insertion printed on most seat posts is closer to 3". I have been using less than the minimum insertion on my 26" Oracle. The seat post for the Shadow handle I use came in one size, and it's barely long enough. I push and pull hard on my handlebars, and I have not had a problem with the interface between the neck and the seat post. Makes me a little bit nervous, however. Make sure your seat post clamp is tight enough and attached correctly (not sliding up the seat post).
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-13, 03:44 PM   #4
mindbalance
☞ Mind Your Balance ☜

Location: Bath Spa, England #1: Nimbus Oregon 26" MUni #2: Kris Holm 36 Disk + T-bar #3: Triton-Surly 24" LM MUni #4: Kris Holm 29 (Stock 2015)
Thanks so much for your replies

Yep makes sense and I think I was overthinking this a tad too much. With this 36er set up and 2” of post well clamped in it must be fine.

Cheers for reassuring an overworrying unicyclist

Felix
Old 2018-06-13, 04:54 PM   #5
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

2" is OK.

I guess we've all made that mistake in one form or another. I once cut my seat post to the minimum length I could get away with, to save weight, then a few weeks later, put shorter cranks on, raised the seat and...
Old 2018-06-15, 05:42 PM   #6
mowcius
2017 UK Road Race Champion

Location: Leeds, W. Yorks. Unicycles: KH36/32/G27.5, KH36 (stolen), KHF29, KH24, 19" Gravity, 20" BC
I've previously read that you should always have double the diameter of the seatpost within the frame. Therefore two inches, or just over.
Old 2018-06-15, 10:29 PM   #7
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

In the skills progression of many unicyclists, a few things happen to raise the seat higher. They learn to mount with the pedals in a more parallel position, making it easier to clear a higher seat, they incorporate the up/down motion of the hips into riding, they may progress to shorter cranks and they may adjust their foot positions slightly closer to the toe. I would prefer if the manufacturers made the necks on some frames a little bit longer, so there is more of a range of adjustment without having to cut -- or buy a new seat post.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-16, 11:17 PM   #8
mowcius
2017 UK Road Race Champion

Location: Leeds, W. Yorks. Unicycles: KH36/32/G27.5, KH36 (stolen), KHF29, KH24, 19" Gravity, 20" BC
Making the frames taller would reduce the potential for shorter riders to fit on larger unicycles.

Tags
cut, mistake, post, seat, stupid